CrampUp 25 - recap

1 view

Starbird Greg

May 21, 2019, 4:19:39 PM5/21/19
to SOUPA SOUPA, soupagro...@googlegroups.com
CrampUp 25: Things You Can Buy with Quarters
May 18-19, 2019

Recap/highlights:

  • Congratulations to the Admins (Portland) for retaining the Big Disc of Gold!! Star Fire (San Francisco) took second, after going undefeated the rest of the tournament.
  • A shout out to Shake (Humboldt) for winning the beer bracket! (And to Dal for brewing the prize for the 15th time, including a sweet label featuring Troy.)
  • Twelve teams, beautiful grass fields at Fichtner. After forecasted rain and a high wind advisory, we had only moderate wind on Saturday, sunny skies on Sunday, and the rain held off at the fields until the moment the finals ended. A poetic ending to a wonderful weekend.

Overheard from visiting teams:

  • "No matter what, we are going to come to CrampUp. That is standard."
  • "This is the best spread I've ever seen at a tournament."
  • "The structure is great, the fields are awesome, the dinner was amazing, and all of that in a beautiful setting."
  • "We wanted to say thank you so much for an awesome weekend and a fun tournament. We had a lot of fun and hope to join you all again next year."
  • "We wanted to thank you and Russ for putting on a killer weekend. As usual, we appreciated the excellent layout, lined fields, and well-coordinated food spread at the park. Our players were skeptical about going for the tournament dinner, but were raving about the tamales afterwards. ...Looking forward to next year! Perhaps we can convince [another team] to come up as well."

--
Speaking for myself...I loved being at CrampUp this year so much. I haven't laughed and smiled that much in a long time. And I'm so inspired about disc, having just witnessed many flowy points, sick Ds, and remarkable catches.

The lead up to the tournament included busy schedules, dicey weather, twelve instead of fourteen teams. In the midst of this, many of you stepped up, and some WAY up, to fill gaps and lend a hand, and to co-create a tournament we can all be proud of. You know who you are, and I'll be thanking you individually if I haven't already. Suffice it to say here: so many of you from different corners and eras helped in visible and behind-the-scenes ways w/ the fields, water, field food, tourney central, bracketing, coffee, equipment, injury ice, discs, beer, website, firewood, set up & takedown, transport, photos...etc. Thank you for stepping up to ensure #25 was a success.

To those of you who starting working on this with me and Russ in 2018, and who stuck with it and made it happen all the way through (and are still sorting equipment and receipts today)...you're so amazing, and set such a consistently positive tone throughout the weekend. All the little touches this year! Grateful.

Thank you to the players who competed on Cheap Date, as well as to the vets and variety of local players who showed up throughout the weekend to hang out and to help out. Really a neat thing about CrampUp, that each year so many gather throughout the weekend in different ways, and to watch the finals.

Thanks also to Maranatha, UltraPure Water, Wilderness Poets, Trader Joe's, Market Of Choice, and Good Bean coffee, for donating valuable supplies. And to McKael Kenfield for letting us use the candy machine! And to Max Malcomb for initial assistance to Russ in designing the disc, Sonia & Maria for another amazing feast, Jill (Emigrant), Chris (lines), Emily (trainer), former TDs who offered sage advice, and all others who contributed in various ways...

--
I deeply appreciate being part of this, and that CrampUp has now happened 25 times with an evolving cast of characters. Such a great tradition.

Greg Starbird
p.s. #26 is gonna be extra special!!

Adam Danforth

May 21, 2019, 4:27:29 PM5/21/19
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA SOUPA
Hats off to everyone who helped continue this tradition, especially you, Greg, who has donned the TD crown in all its glory. Looking forward to conceiving for next year and helping to plan an even better spread featuring more local producers of great regional food.

And, noodling on how to figure out a tournament where the only plastic is the discs themselves.

Onwards and upwards, SOUPA!

- adam

Butcher, Educator & Father
http://www.adamdanforth.com

Buy the books:
"Butchering Poultry, Rabbit, Lamb, Goat, and Pork"
"Butchering Beef"

Good Meat Project Board Member
Butcher's Manifesto Ambassador & Board Member
Chefs Collaborative Board Member | "Change Menus, Change Lives"