Due to the Coronavirus, Sunday pickup...

1 view

Kevin Roberts

Mar 15, 2020, 12:46:13 AM3/15/20
to SOUPA
Is totally going to happen! 3pm at Fichtner. Practice at 130, probably?

No seriously, I feel very bad for James and all the HS kids that were supposed to be using the fields this weekend for their regional tournament. I was as excited as someone who is not involved can be--for James and the other coaches and kids involved.

BUT, this means Fichtner is available. I cannot vouch for Max and Zach doing practice starting at 130. I will be there if they are willing to still lead that.

Wow, how many emails have you gotten lately that start out "Due to the coronavirus..." I was swimming in them this week. Hopefully, this is the best one you got! This email is not telling you that we are forced to make some decision or other because our "leadership" needed to announce some sort of "effort" to combat the "pandemic". Not to say nothing is wrong, simply, I am glad we are not under City of Medford Parks and Rec because they would not give us an option, and we as a community can make our own personal decisions without administrative repercussions.

I am sure that we all have differing opinions on this virus, and that is good, but I am not sick, and I don't think everyone needs to cancel everything because some people have a contagious disease. I personally feel that ultimate does not pose much risk to spreading coronavirus, mainly because we are outdoors and it is a non-contact sport, so I am going to show up and play. If anyone is concerned about disc contact, we can use Clorox wipes after each point, or something to that effect. I really don't mind the precautions. I think, looking back on all of this, we will all agree that on these kinds of things, overreacting is better than underreacting. So, while I personally choose to have minimal concern, I am also willing to do what makes other people comfortable and reassured that adequated precautions, for their situation, are enacted.

Anyone else feeling good? It IS pi day... and nothing says pi quite like an ultimate disc!

Ultimately,

KRob

David Wasserman

Mar 15, 2020, 1:42:06 AM3/15/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
I’m most likely in, with my son Isaac (back from U of O).

David

daryl witmore

Mar 15, 2020, 10:44:36 AM3/15/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
I'm in. I'll be touching the dirty disc, but not my own face till I wash up :)

Kellen Akiyama

Mar 15, 2020, 11:00:28 AM3/15/20
to SOUPA
I will be there.

Kellen

Adam Danforth

Mar 15, 2020, 11:37:47 AM3/15/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
Kevin, et al;

I, too, echo most of the sentiments of your well-stated email. The current social scenario has been concerning but I would typically continue to go about my ways, relying on certain precautions, strong personal health, and knowing my decisions didn't have a greater wave of impact. All last week I resisted changing that perspective, wondering how a growing population was becoming severely panicked over the realization that we live amidst pathogens, some that are lethal (and with the fatality numbers for coronavirus not being all that shocking). I still sort of feel that way, but . . .

I've since let go of my personal views and decided that I must relinquish a sense of personal freedom and desire and bide my time for a greater societal benefit. "Flattening the curve" isn't just a hashtag. It is the way in which we help the medical industry catch up. Long incubation periods mean we have no idea who carriers are and the length of time this virus lives on surfaces is much different than any other pathogen we are routinely encountering that has the fatal potential.

I think to buck this worldwide, national, state-level, and local recommendation is shortsighted and selfish.

Thus, I'm opting out of non-essential activities and hunkering down. (I do consider ultimate to be essential to my mental health, but that's a different perspective.) See all your friendly faces in a few weeks (I hope).

With that in mind, as a food industry professional, I want to issue one PSA-style statement: the restaurants and small businesses we love are at extreme risk of going under in the next two to three weeks. Many of my restaurant-owning friends cannot make it two weeks without traffic in their spot. Some are already talking about shuttering by next weekend if things don't change (and they won't change I'm afraid). If you want to see these establishments survive, I highly encourage you to purchase gift certificates now for what may be estimated amounts you'd spend over the next month or so. And for those not concerned with visiting, take out will further help the situation.

Stay healthy, y'all.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 9:46 PM Kevin Roberts <newk...@gmail.com> wrote:

Starbird Greg

Mar 15, 2020, 11:54:19 AM3/15/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
I'm out. Erring on the side of caution. Ultimate seems low risk, but on the other hand, a 70yo man in Oregon died yesterday of the virus, and yet he "had no known contact to a confirmed case and had not traveled to a country where the virus is circulating." Little testing in the US to date, a highly contagious virus that can be spread before/without symptoms, elderly/vulnerable people at greater risk of death if hospitals get too full, and real examples from around the world of what works better and worse to slow things down so hospitals can keep up. I'm annoyed and baffled by all this, but for now I'm staying away, hoping that the coming days bring better news.

Greg
p.s. Also fyi: Ultimate communities in Sacramento and San Francisco have cancelled everything through March(SF) / April(Sac); USA Ultimate has cancelled all events and revoked its sanctioning of all tournaments and leagues through April 20, "and strongly recommends that all event organizers cancel their events." DiscNW cancelled through April 24. Ultimate communities in Milwaukee, Austin, Charlotte, Boston, NY -- etc. etc. -- same basic story.

Austin Harfst

Mar 15, 2020, 12:27:09 PM3/15/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA

Zachariah Zegzdryn

Mar 15, 2020, 1:11:53 PM3/15/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
Hi All,

Specifically regarding 1:30 practice, unfortunately I've decided to cancel it for today (3/15/2020) and next Sunday (3/22/2020), at which point I'll reevaluate. Kevin, Adam, Greg, thanks a bunch for your insight on this as I really appreciate you guys helping me form my opinion on practices.

Thanks,
Zach

daryl witmore

Mar 15, 2020, 3:41:14 PM3/15/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
I think this is all thoughtful and respectful discussion. We do have a social responsibility to distance ourselves. Personally I need exercise and think there might be some modifications to help.

We could do conditioning drills.
Play can jam with personal discs.
Go for a bike ride in jville Forest Park instead.

I love this community and want you all to be happy and healthy.

Socials distancing is called for. Isolation without symptoms is hard for me to swallow.

Best to all,
Daryl

Erick Barney

Mar 15, 2020, 3:50:25 PM3/15/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
Elle and I will be mtn biking forest park around 3

I blame my iPhone for any speling or grammatically errors.