Band migration

matthew vorgang

Jun 28, 2017, 7:19:35 PM6/28/17
to 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa
Hey folks! I created a SOUPA page with an app called Band. Switching over to band will help in numerous ways.
1. Pictures, posts, and events can all be seen in one place.
2. Weekly emails won't be necessary, as events can be set for weekly. Players can simply RSVP every week to that event.
3. Sharing this group with others will be easy= "You like ultimate Frisbee? I'll shoot you the link for our band page, or you can just look up SOUPA on the app!"
4. Yet another way for the community to see us.
You can still access this app on a desktop, if you don't have a smartphone. The link for the page is below, and the app is free.
Of course, if a bunch of you don't like this idea, I can retract our page.

Matthew Vorgang invites you to [SOUPA - S. Oregon Ultimate Players Association] group on BAND, the ultimate group app.

Open this invitation below on your iPhone, Android, or desktop.
http://band.us/n/a6a3Uf09g4v5r

BAND is the ultimate group app chosen by 50 million users worldwide.

From. BAND

erin federline

Jun 30, 2017, 9:40:31 AM6/30/17
to 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa, matthew vorgang
Is this another slack? What happened to slack anyway?

Subject: [SOUPA] Band migration
To: "'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa" <soupa...@googlegroups.com>

matthew vorgang

Jun 30, 2017, 12:46:46 PM6/30/17
to erin federline, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa
I didn't know we had slack. Are people keeping it up to date with events? Is slack better than band? I'm open to whatever the group thinks is best.
Evan, thanks for the feedback. I'm pushing for an eventual migration to a single post and location for ultimate happenings because I want it easy to see who has RSVP'd, and to avoid confusion. Gmail is the worst way to communicate in every way except for that everyone already has it installed on their phones.
With the influx of new players and a competitive spirit rising (which is a great thing), I think it's important to capitalize and make a few changes (meeting earlier to drill, meeting more often, post drill challenges). But this all has to start with people RSVPing so that we know what we have to work with.
I'm not saying that pick-up needs to get more serious, I'm just saying that there are a bunch of us now that want to be more dedicated in improving, and I want to give us the tools to do so.

Thoughts?

Seriously though people, let's RSVP! Band makes it super easy BTW.

Joel Caswell

Jun 30, 2017, 1:13:05 PM6/30/17
to matthew vorgang, erin federline, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa
I think more people are using gmail than you think, Matt. Personally I prefer email to having another app, most people already have an email app on their phones

Joel
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to soupagroup+...@googlegroups.com.

Erick Barney

Jun 30, 2017, 1:13:05 PM6/30/17
to matthew vorgang, erin federline, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa

I’m with you Matt.  I think it would be great if Ultimate Pick-Up was a bit more reliable in terms of numbers and I’m all for improving as a group.  I think Slack works fine and many people have already committed to it.  We just need to rally and get everyone on board.

Thanks for your efforts to help pull this together!  If you’re not careful, you might just get nominated for Fall league administrator 😊

Erick

 from it, send an email to soupagroup+...@googlegroups.com.

matthew vorgang

Jun 30, 2017, 1:19:01 PM6/30/17
to Erick Barney, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa, erin federline
Thanks Eric, I'll download slack and see how it is.
Joel, the topic of this email is "migration". I understand that most people use Gmail, my goal is to use a better communication platform. Do y'all remember our email threads for cramp up? I thought that they were extremely difficult to navigate. Finding information in a email thread of 50 emails was hard and time consuming. Band (and slack I'm sure) makes it easy easier. Just my honest opinion: I think it's very interesting that the people who have protested this migration so far have rarely RSVP'D to pick-up games. This makes me think that Gmail is not actually working well for you.

matthew vorgang

Jun 30, 2017, 1:56:54 PM6/30/17
to Joel Caswell, Erick Barney, erin federline, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa
Haha, I think we would have way more people if they knew you were coming, Joel!
Thanks for that info Kevin! I think that makes the case for Band.
I encourage everyone to at least check out band, so that they can see how much they like it.
Evan, does your phone have an sd card slot for more space? I'll give you one if it does.
Okay, personal testimony time!
"Band has made my life so much better! It's so easy to RSVP to the events, and it's nice to see who will be coming. Some friends who have shown interest in ultimate have already joined the app, and now they know when and where to play. I'm excited to see where this app will take SOUPA in the future!" - professional ultimate player

On Jun 30, 2017 10:36 AM, "Joel Caswell" <joelmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just don't think anyone else will come because I reply to the thread 😉, so I don't bother

Joel

Kevin Jantzer

Jul 1, 2017, 7:13:40 PM7/1/17
to matthew vorgang, erin federline, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa

Matt,

I started the Slack app but is has some limitations for what we are doing. For starters, it’s a bit more difficult to get new sign ups (which is why the website no long has a link to it). It’s also more of a chat with support for group chats which is good for quick chatter but not good for setting up events or RSVPs. I also feel that people lost interest and resorted back to using the soupagroup email.

Although the Band app has some oddities (such as the annoying sticker every time someone joins) I like the RSVP feature, ability to post “events” on a calendar, and upload pictures.

I also like that the band.us web page is accessible even for user’s without an account. This lets people view the community and events without being required to sign up first (a barrier to entry): http://band.us/#!/band/66845720

I think migrating to the Band app is preferable.

On a side note, I can create any url on our website and have it point to the SOUPA band. For instance: soupa.org/band or soupa.org/community or …? This would give everyone a short and easy to remember URL to give people.

Kevin Jantzer
Freelance Photographer & Web Developer
Ke...@KevinJantzer.com