SOUPA Respect clarification

Joe Sullivan

May 8, 2018, 4:58:46 PM5/8/18
to soupa...@googlegroups.com
Sorry this is hopefully the last email on this. Just a clarification. I was NOT endorsing the other ideas out there.

The policy I was referring to is simply, this...if someone is makin you feel uncomfortable, talk to them directly about it and ask them to help you feel more comfortable. If you don’t like it still, and a law is being broken then call the cops.

See you all at ultimate.

Paul Belson

May 8, 2018, 5:17:06 PM5/8/18
to Joe Sullivan, soupa...@googlegroups.com
For real? Respectfully, i think calling cops is a horrible solution to most problems, is confrontational, and undermines the spirit of community-based resolution. I am not going to be busting our ultimate peeps. wtf?

jay michalson

May 8, 2018, 7:15:03 PM5/8/18
to paulb...@gmail.com, Joe Sullivan, soupa...@googlegroups.com
Hello soupa, as one of your oldest and longtime members, i have to weigh in....to me our  ultimate community was always a family of wonderfully unique individuals, many differences but one goal to enjoy playing one of the best games ever......if soupa as a group has devolved to be so closed minded that it is policy to call the police on a fellow player for doing somethong you dont like. I have to say i no longer want to be a part of it, and futhermore i will have to rescind my open invitation to host city league parties at my farm..... im very dissappointed it has come to this.....jmike

Elizabeth Schyling

May 8, 2018, 7:27:13 PM5/8/18
to jaymic...@yahoo.com, paulb...@gmail.com, Joe Sullivan, soupa...@googlegroups.com
Please read in Happy Linc Cheerleading Voice:

I just got out of a restorative justice conference! If we end up having issues that cannot be resolved with a simple one-to-one I whole-heartedly endorse something more mediated that let's everyone express their needs in a safe way and work together in a small or large group to reach a conclusion where everyone feels heard. Let's do that rather than punitive measures!

But for real, let's be supportive of one another as people, even if we don't want to support each others' actions and personal choices.

I'm going to volunteer to "sponsor" a face-to-face conversation with anyone who wants to be a part of it on Sunday to just talk about feelings around all of this. I feel like many people are still feeling hurt or frustrated. Please email me privately (elizabeth...@gmail.com) if you're interested and if before or after practice or pick-up works best for you. We will coordinate from there if there is interest.

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 4:14 PM, 'jay michalson' via SOUPA <soupa...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hello soupa, as one of your oldest and longtime members, i have to weigh in....to me our  ultimate community was always a family of wonderfully unique individuals, many differences but one goal to enjoy playing one of the best games ever......if soupa as a group has devolved to be so closed minded that it is policy to call the police on a fellow player for doing somethong you dont like. I have to say i no longer want to be a part of it, and futhermore i will have to rescind my open invitation to host city league parties at my farm..... im very dissappointed it has come to this.....jmike

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 2:17 PM, Paul Belson
For real?  Respectfully, i think calling cops is a horrible solution to most problems, is confrontational, and undermines the spirit of community-based resolution.  I am not going to be busting our ultimate peeps.  wtf?

> On May 8, 2018, at 1:58 PM, 'Joe Sullivan' via SOUPA <soupa...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Sorry this is hopefully the last email on this.  Just a clarification.  I was NOT endorsing the other ideas out there.
>
> The policy I was referring to is simply, this...if someone is makin you feel uncomfortable, talk to them directly about it and ask them to help you feel more comfortable.  If you don’t like it still, and a law is being broken then call the cops.
>
> See you all at ultimate.

pete...@jeffnet.org

May 9, 2018, 4:27:24 PM5/9/18
to jaymic...@yahoo.com, 'erin federline' via SOUPA, Shantrin Lininger, Petermcb

Hey here's an idea for acceptable ultimate wear for the women.  The ladies at my church swear by them.

Image result for handmaid's tale

Shantrin Lininger

May 9, 2018, 5:07:59 PM5/9/18
to pete...@jeffnet.org, 'erin federline' via SOUPA, jaymic...@yahoo.com
Hahaha! Perfect.

My my my, what a sign of the times. Holy shit. I recognize that sending out the expletive-filled rant that has been brewing for a day or two would probably be counter-productive...might still do it, with fewer expletives.
I miss you guys, and ASHLAND Ultimate.

Shani

Kevin Stout

May 9, 2018, 5:35:27 PM5/9/18
to Shantrin Lininger, pete...@jeffnet.org, 'erin federline' via SOUPA, jaymic...@yahoo.com
Folks,

I'm not around that much, but I did want to share my thoughts and ask that y'all consider chilling out a bit so we can all have fun playing ultimate, even if we don't agree on major lifestyle issues.

First, for years I excluded fundamentalist Christians and other conservative religious people from my life because I strongly disagreed with their spiritual, political, and lifestyle beliefs.  I would mock people with other sincerely held beliefs and I would only interact with people who were similar to me.  Fortunately, I played ultimate in Eugene with several people who happened to be very fundamentalist and conservative Christians and I came to appreciate that they have nuanced views and that not all shared the more extreme positions on issues like homosexuality, for example, that I felt were abhorrent.  I realized that I was being bigoted towards a huge class of people who were for the most part wonderful humans and had a lot more in common with me than I realized.  By being teammates we spent time together and my life was richer because of it.  Nobody changed anybody's mind about how they choose to live and raise their children, but we did have a mutual respect and acceptance that others may feel very differently about the most important things in life, and that's okay.

Please be respectful even if you disagree with others.

Second, let's all agree that calling the police for anything short of a felony on the ultimate field is totally ridiculous.  I promise you, every law enforcement agency has their hands full with real, serious criminal conduct.  People do terrible things to each other and cops and the courts should use their resources to protect people, not respond to calls about trivial concerns.  If somebody is nude and gratifying themselves sexually in front of your child, or some sort of other conduct that is a danger to our players, then we should certainly call the cops.  Anything else is unnecessary and the cops will appreciate you leaving them alone to use the limited resources they have to investigate more serious crimes.

I really hope that people can enjoy playing ultimate with people who live very differently from themselves.  I'd hope a little bare skin and foul language will not cause the SOUPA community to split based on religious or political beliefs.  That would be silly.  Let's be respectful to the more conservative folks and listen to their concerns and see if we can make them feel welcome and included without compromising the free spirit and relaxed environment that makes the ultimate scene so fun.

Nobody has been forced to participate in an LSD fueled orgy, or pray on the field, or do anything else that should make them feel so uncomfortable that we can't fix it civilly like adults.

Cheers,

Kevin Stout

Attorney Stout Law LLC

215 Laurel Street | Medford, Oregon | 97501

P: 541-776-2020 | F: 541-776-9841 | E: kevin...@gmail.com

www.StoutOregonLaw.com

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

On 2018-05-08 23:14, 'jay michalson' via SOUPA wrote:

Hello soupa, as one of your oldest and longtime members, i have to weigh in....to me our  ultimate community was always a family of wonderfully unique individuals, many differences but one goal to enjoy playing one of the best games ever......if soupa as a group has devolved to be so closed minded that it is policy to call the police on a fellow player for doing somethong you dont like. I have to say i no longer want to be a part of it, and futhermore i will have to rescind my open invitation to host city league parties at my farm..... im very dissappointed it has come to this.....jmike

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 2:17 PM, Paul Belson
For real?  Respectfully, i think calling cops is a horrible solution to most problems, is confrontational, and undermines the spirit of community-based resolution.  I am not going to be busting our ultimate peeps.  wtf?

> On May 8, 2018, at 1:58 PM, 'Joe Sullivan' via SOUPA <soupa...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Sorry this is hopefully the last email on this.  Just a clarification.  I was NOT endorsing the other ideas out there.
>
> The policy I was referring to is simply, this...if someone is makin you feel uncomfortable, talk to them directly about it and ask them to help you feel more comfortable.  If you don't like it still, and a law is being broken then call the cops.
>
> See you all at ultimate.

May 9, 2018, 11:51:07 PM5/9/18
to Kevin Stout, Shantrin Lininger, pete...@jeffnet.org, 'erin federline' via SOUPA, Jay Michalson
On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 2:35 PM, Kevin Stout <kevin...@gmail.com> wrote: