Hello Soupa Community, minutes 6/21

1 view

SOUPA

Aug 17, 2018, 12:24:36 PM8/17/18
to soupa...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning

This email is long overdue; on June 21st, several "leadership" members of the ultimate community met to discuss the further establishing and sustaining of a Board of Directors for our current non-profit organization: SOUPA. The meeting was open to any and all members of SOUPA community to attend. Regardless, I wanted to send this email out to the greater community to let you know what we discussed and share the notes with you. (This is, and has always been, the practice of our Board.)

Without going into detail, here are a few highlights:
1. Newly created email named: "soupa...@googlegroups.com". This email address was created as a general, nuetral, voice to announce official stuff, ultimate-related, without being tied to one personality. Our intent was for whatever gets announced through this email, was agreed upon by the members of the Board.

2. New and existing Board members: Joel Caswell, chairman. Kellen Akiyama, treasurer. (Russ Causely, James Yang, Greg Starbird, and Matt Vorgang are considering possible positions.)

3. Part of the function of this meeting was to determine whether a Board was necessary in our community. I think we all established that a Board was necessary for Insurance purposes, etc. (See notes.)

Thank you!

Look forward to Fall League!
SOUPA Minutes_6_21_2018.docx

Zach Zegzdryn

Aug 17, 2018, 12:44:58 PM8/17/18
to SOUPA, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa
Hi All,

Thanks for sending this our way. I'm at work so I haven't had a chance to read through all of the notes yet, but one thing I can say is that I'm going crazy without ultimate right now. If this smoke doesn't go away soon I may just hop up on a roof and start chucking discs at blameless pedestrians.

When is fall league supposed to start? Is it going to be pushed back later into the year due to the smoke? I know we had to cancel 2-3 weekends last year due to bad conditions.

One last thought. Do we have a Facebook page? It seems like an instagram/facebook would be a fantastic way of attracting new members, because that's the first place I would look as a prospective player.

Thanks,
Zach

Kevin Jantzer

Aug 17, 2018, 12:46:38 PM8/17/18
to SOUPA, Zach Zegzdryn, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to soupagroup+...@googlegroups.com.

Joe Sullivan

Aug 17, 2018, 2:18:26 PM8/17/18
to Kevin Jantzer, SOUPA, Zach Zegzdryn, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa
This is such bullshit.

Ignore.

Kevin Jantzer

Aug 17, 2018, 2:20:10 PM8/17/18
to Joe Sullivan, SOUPA, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa, Zach Zegzdryn
Wait, what?

Joel Caswell

Aug 17, 2018, 2:27:31 PM8/17/18
to Joe Sullivan, Kevin Jantzer, SOUPA, Zach Zegzdryn, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa
Ok...

Joel

matthew vorgang

Aug 17, 2018, 3:13:56 PM8/17/18
to Joel Caswell, Joe Sullivan, Kevin Jantzer, SOUPA, Zach Zegzdryn, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa
I don't think your Facebook page is bullshit Kevin!

Joe Sullivan

Aug 17, 2018, 3:44:21 PM8/17/18
to matthew vorgang, Joel Caswell, Kevin Jantzer, SOUPA, Zach Zegzdryn, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa
I didn’t mean your Facebook page Kevin! Keep up the good online presence.

I meant this whole board shit is utter bullshit...I didn’t read it all, did a light skim, and that was quite plenty enough bullshit.  I do not endorse this or recognize it whatsoever.  You all can be the board members of the field insurance certificate but don’t use your power of that to try and make any fucking rules about pickup or league with out first 1)having members! and 2)having the members vote and decide.

TLDR version: if you haven’t been following this closely the real story is some ppl made a board so they could make rules beyond the local, state and federal laws already governing behavior in the places we play.  fuck that.  If ppl want to form a group with members and vote on some rules fine...but ppl that want to assume power and make extra rules that suit their own prerogative can fuck off.

✌️

P.S.  I do not intend to come off as unnecessarily crass, rather convey how upset these ongoing attempts to censor ppl makes me.

PPS If you want to censor my words on the email, better take a vote and get a majority of all those on listserve.

Adam Danforth

Aug 17, 2018, 3:48:18 PM8/17/18
to Joe Sullivan, matthew vorgang, Joel Caswell, Kevin Jantzer, southernore...@gmail.com, Zachariah Zegzdryn, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa
tenor.png

- adam

Butcher, Educator & Father
http://www.adamdanforth.com

Buy the books:
"Butchering Poultry, Rabbit, Lamb, Goat, and Pork"
"Butchering Beef"

Good Meat Project Board Member
Butcher's Manifesto Ambassador & Board Member
Chefs Collaborative Board Member | "Change Menus, Change Lives"

Joe Sullivan

Aug 17, 2018, 4:05:50 PM8/17/18
to SOUPA, soupa...@googlegroups.com
Oh contrare...

I say, Yes!  the issue of toplessness IS fucking black and white right now...it is not against the fucking law so unless the parks say no or whatever soupa has absolutely no right to say no to toplessness.  And if you or the parks do discriminate you could open SOUPA up to be annihilated by lawsuit.

Are you ppl fucking Americans and Oregonians?  Do you not respect the American laws over your own personal preferences? Go move to some other state that doesn’t allow women the choice to have their tops off.

✌️
<SOUPA Minutes_6_21_2018.docx>

Joel Caswell

Aug 17, 2018, 4:22:58 PM8/17/18
to Joe Sullivan, SOUPA, soupa...@googlegroups.com
Sully? Is this actually you or has someone hacked your email?

Joel

Erick Barney

Aug 17, 2018, 7:09:24 PM8/17/18
to Joe Sullivan, SOUPA

Joe, I’m wondering if we both read the same set of meeting minutes (Read highlights below).  What exactly set off your diatribe?  In my opinion, divisive email replies don’t seem like a very effective method of helping the greater good in this situation.

SOUPA, what I see is a respectful attempt by a few members of our group who have stepped up to help find solutions to very sensitive issues.  Keep in mind that everyone in the SOUPA group was invited to contribute. I’ve chosen to remain silent through all of the past drama this year, but I have been paying attention and it’s just sad.  I would like to thank all of those making honest attempts to find common ground so we can all get back to doing what we love, playing Ultimate.  I’ve been a member of SOUPA since the beginning and one of my favorite aspects has been the cultural diversity.  Up until this year, the SOUPA community has displayed an amazing level of tolerance given the full spectrum of cultural, religious and political beliefs among the group, something I’ve been very proud to be a part of.  For the sake of the majority of us that simply want to enjoy our sport and the colorful local community that has been built over decades (shout out to original Ashland Ultimate which I was not a part of), let’s step up our efforts to respect, tolerate and focus on what we do have in common, playing the fuck out of Ultimate!

Are you a part of the problem or the solution?

Erick

9. Boobgate: the issue of toplessness.

Overall tenet: the board does not want to make, or enforce rules of behavior. The board’s job is to oversee the organization of SOUPA, and not function as a behavior cop. The board leadership is not meant to be authoritarian. The board communicates and creates opportunity for discussion.

Meeting attendees (except Russ who had already left the meeting) then discussed toplessness at some length, characterizing this subsequent discussion as a conversation of people who care about Ultimate in southern Oregon, rather than an official board conversation. This conversation of interested people included the following points among others:

  • In Kellen’s experience with dealing with Medford City Admin, if the Parks don’t allow toplessness despite its legality, the over-reaching authority is the parks, and the issue is black-and white with a definitive rule.

Joe Sullivan

Aug 17, 2018, 8:44:01 PM8/17/18
to Erick Barney, SOUPA
Yes Erik, I believe we read the same email.  ????

Let’s make fun of the issue and call it “boobgate”. Let’s further grasp at straws and say showing boobs is against “family values”. Let’s say toplessness creates a “public disturbance”. Let’s say toplessness is “public indecency” ....these are the views of some ppl of soupa and I think they need to be stomped out because they are all too far of a reach and quite simply bullshit.

And if the parks has a problem with it, let them tell us and we can change but they have had zero complaints against us so far.  The statement you highlighted seems to imply toplessness is illegal in the parks of Medford...let’s see someone from Medford go on record of saying that and send it on to soupa...in that case I will gladly shut up....but I don’t think they will say that because it’s probably against the law to say that.  We’ll see.  Let the law sort this out and then there will be no debate.

To me this is a clear attempt by ppl who don’t like the law to take over soupa to impose their own values that supersede our rights as Americans.

Furthermore, I would classify a few ppl electing themselves “board members” is much more “decisive” (as you labeled me) than my response.

And to answer your last question, I am part of the solution to stomp out ppl that would like to take a piss on women’s rights.

Here’s the common ground...we play ultimate by the rules of USAU (or wfdf for some reason) and we abide by the local state and federal laws in te public places we play.

Zach Zegzdryn

Aug 17, 2018, 11:03:31 PM8/17/18
to Joe Sullivan, Erick Barney, SOUPA

So I spoke with Kellen a bit and it seems like fall league still needs some people to step up and get it really rolling. I’d be absolutely happy to help/manage and do whatever it takes to push a league forward.

To those who have ran fall league before (Kellen, Matt), could you guys provide any materials or lists you may have? I want to get this going as soon as possible and I’m willing to put in the work. Even just a general guideline would be massively helpful.

I also think that post game DDC (double disc court) matches could be a ton of fun. Casey turned us on to the game and it could be a good way to relax after a hard fought match.

Anyway, to any and all who have any info or need any help, please email or text (9079820651) because I really want to focus in and play some ultimate as soon as the smoke allows.

Thanks!
Zach

Erick Barney

Aug 17, 2018, 11:15:39 PM8/17/18
to Zach Zegzdryn, Joe Sullivan, SOUPA
I’ll volunteer to captain a team if needed.

I blame my iPhone for any speling or grammatically errors.

Kelly Wassell

Aug 18, 2018, 1:00:37 AM8/18/18
to SOUPA
I read these and thought "Oh! not again!"

But I honestly can't help from adding, since we are back on the topic of Fall League...
I probably should not be placed on the white team! Hah! (for all the people on the list that needed a laugh I hope that helped).

Can't wait to see all of you!! And your nipples...😇

<SOUPA Minutes_6_21_2018.docx>

Adam Danforth

Aug 18, 2018, 2:09:45 AM8/18/18
to Joe Sullivan, Erick Barney, 'Joe Sullivan' via Soupa
As others have mentioned, I, too, have appreciated the acceptance and tolerance of the SOUPA and ultimate community for differing views. With that said, I don't think the most conservative or restrictive views should define the social and cultural guidelines.

I'm with Sully. Squash the censorship and abide by the cultural rules that are already in place in the environment we play. The law is the law and the tolerance and acceptance that we admire need to extend by all those wanting to play to actions that are within our legal rights. It's pretty clear, easy to reference, and releases the organization of administering an additional level of overarching governance.

We all realize that we're talking about throwing a frisbee around in a public park, right? Be yourself, let others be themselves. If it's legal, it's kosher. Don't like it, don't play.

I echo the sentiments about fall league excitement and all the personal flair that an ultimate field can contain (and let loose).

Get weird. Throw a disc around. Be fun. Run your ass off. Let your freak flag fly.

- adam

Butcher, Educator & Father
http://www.adamdanforth.com

Buy the books:
"Butchering Poultry, Rabbit, Lamb, Goat, and Pork"
"Butchering Beef"

Good Meat Project Board Member
Butcher's Manifesto Ambassador & Board Member
Chefs Collaborative Board Member | "Change Menus, Change Lives"

This conversation is locked