CrampUp XXIV: The Dark Ages - recap

1 view

Starbird Greg

May 22, 2018, 7:13:24 AM5/22/18
to SOUPA SOUPA
CrampUp XXIV: The Dark Ages
May 19-20, 2018

Recap/highlights:

  • Congratulations to the Admins (Corvallis) for re-capturing the Big Disc of Gold!! Firefly (San Francisco) took second, putting up a good fight in the finals after going undefeated the rest of the tournament
  • Also, a shout out to the Humble(t) Serfs (Humboldt) for winning the beer bracket on universe point v. Midknight Whiskey (Eugene)!
  • Disc-entery (local team) outperformed its seeding on day one--the only team in the tournament to do so--winning the first two of its four games, and nearly the fourth game as well. Also, a six-goal streak to come back and win game two?! Hot stuff! Props to Russ and Casey for pulling together the team
  • Tamale feast, bonfire, party, crepes, camping...~150 people eating and laughing together after playing Ultimate all day...few places I'd rather be.

Captains from various teams pulled me aside this weekend to tell me how much they loved the tournament. Here's an emailed comment from the co-captain of Buckwild (Sacramento): "It was an amazing tourney - perfect fields (lined fields, too!?!), ice and snacks at tourney central, an awesome disc design and tourney theme, excellent communication and of course great people :)"

This sort of feedback is due to 50+ local people stepping up and making CrampUp happen this year. (I wrote down 50 names earlier today!) Instead of lengthening this email with 50 customized shoutouts, I'll try to thank each of you individually over the coming weeks. For now, suffice it to say: I loved putting on this tournament alongside all of you. You lent equipment for the tournament, gave me advice on brackets and pools, and trusted me with relationships that took years to build. You filled jugs of water, measured fields, chopped firewood, and on and on and on, all done efficiently and with remarkable generosity. A handful of you stepped in early, with unwavering commitment to see the tournament through. This made a huge difference, as did so many of you lending a hand the past couple of weeks. There are many unsung heroes from this year's CrampUp, as well as from CrampUps of the past quarter century. You know who you are.

Watching the finals on Sunday afternoon, I was inspired again by the pinball offense of the Admins, by the huge hucks to space, and by the players of both teams gathering afterwards in a circle and describing how fun it was to play against each other. And for me, to get the chance to sit in the sun for an afternoon with dear friends from across time...my heart is so full.

Much love,

Greg
p.s. Next year: CrampUp 25!

ian nelson

May 22, 2018, 12:52:56 PM5/22/18
to Starbird Greg, Rogue Disc

Well done Starbird and Co!  Great to be out there under the sun throwing disc with y'all on Sunday...PLAY ULTIMATE!