Sunday pickup 3PM @ Fichtner Mainwaring park

Joel Caswell

Mar 21, 2020, 8:09:32 PM3/21/20
to SOUPA, soupagro...@googlegroups.com
Sunday pickup 3PM @ Fichtner Mainwaring park. I know there are some people who want to get out and get some exercise, weather forecast shows warm and sunny.

If anyone is worried about it, pickup by nature shouldn’t have any 10 people within 6’ of each other at any given time, and is then allowed even under the current order given by the Governor limiting public gatherings. Pickup is still happening with this understanding with extra sanitation measures in most cities around the country.

See some of you tomorrow!

~

Donovan Holmbeck

Mar 21, 2020, 8:21:12 PM3/21/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
Joel I get that you want to be out and playing disc but at the moment it's just not a good idea. Us all holding the same disc passing those germs on the disc to each other. We, like it or not, should follow the suggestions of the CDC and the authorities.

Adam Danforth

Mar 21, 2020, 8:50:20 PM3/21/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
“Oregonians should not play soccer, basketball, frisbee or other games involving body contact or shared surfaces with people other than immediate family, Multnomah County Chair Deborah Kafoury, the third marquee speaker at the news conference, said.”

--
Butcher, Educator & Father
http://www.adamdanforth.com

Buy the books:
"Butchering Poultry, Rabbit, Lamb, Goat, and Pork"
"Butchering Beef"

Butcher's Manifesto Ambassador
Chefs Collaborative Board Member | "Change Menus, Change Lives"

Sent from GMail for iPad

erin federline

Mar 21, 2020, 8:51:21 PM3/21/20
to SOUPA, soupagro...@googlegroups.com

I hope you all are well and enjoying these beautiful days in the midst of this crazy pandemic.

I just wanted to chime in about pick up...
Frisbee (and soccer, Basketball)and such are not activities that are condoned in this current reality... they are actually mentioned in this article as activities that we shouldn't do.   We are being asked to not be out and about and in close contact with others.  Putting a mark on and playing any decent disc will put one too close to others and there is the touching of the disc... the shared surface.   If people can't deal with these modifications in our lifestyles, we will likely be placed into lockdown... and i'm dreading that reality.   We owe it to each other to refrain for now.  Please find a solo way to exercise until this whole thing is over.

Thanks for considering,
Erin

Zachariah Zegzdryn

Mar 21, 2020, 8:58:10 PM3/21/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
Hi all,

People will make their own choices no matter what I say, but I personally will not being attending pickup for the next 4-6 weeks minimum and I highly discourage anybody from gathering in a social setting right now. People far smarter than me are telling us to self isolate right now, and it seems downright selfish to do otherwise. As much as I miss it already, frisbee will be here for all of us once this is all over and pickup should absolutely not be held for the foreseeable future.

Zach

Russ Causley

Mar 21, 2020, 9:05:49 PM3/21/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
(Don’t) Play Ultimate!

-Ian Nelson

Jim Castellano

Mar 21, 2020, 9:31:49 PM3/21/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
I was all fired up to foot block Russ and then sky over Joel to score but I guess another day or season for that matter.

Jim Castellano
Alpine Electric
521 Haven Rd.
Jacksonville, OR 97530
CCB# 224394

Joel Caswell

Mar 21, 2020, 9:59:03 PM3/21/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
No one has to show up, but I and a handful of others would play if we get numbers.

This thread is seriously not a place to publish everyone’s opinions about the “crisis”.... there is a real crisis, and it’s economic, not a disease.  People generally know that, but the numbers clearly indicate the overblown nature of the public reaction.

If people want to play they can, if not, don’t. Leave opinions about others playing to some other medium.

 ~ Joel Caswell

On Mar 21, 2020, at 6:31 PM, Jim Castellano <j...@alpineelectricor.com> wrote:

I was all fired up to foot block Russ and then sky over Joel to score but I guess another day or season for that matter.

Russ Causley

Mar 21, 2020, 10:34:56 PM3/21/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
Let's just get ahead of this potentially fun conversation and all agree to disagree.

If you want to go play Ultimate at some time or place, it cannot be a SOUPA-condoned activity.  Should groups of folks choose to disregard the ideas being put out by state officials to avoid group activities, please do so on your own terms, not under the banner of SOUPA.
Personal texts, calls, and emails away from the listserv to get together are your business, but SOUPA as an organization cannot be the platform for encouraging gatherings. So sorry!

Thanks in advance for using other means of contact to organize.

Russ Causley

Mar 21, 2020, 10:35:34 PM3/21/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
Nothing wrong with playing if you want to, but please do it as your own activity y'all.

Joel Caswell

Mar 22, 2020, 12:02:24 AM3/22/20
to SOUPA, soupagro...@googlegroups.com
To be clear, SOUPA as an organization is required to follow the LAW, not the health suggestions put out by the State or the CDC.

We can play ultimate and be in compliance with the law, and SOUPA could plan and sanction a league under the regulations.

Knowing that the regulatory atmosphere is likely to get more strict, it seems like a good week to play while still being compliant with the law.....

 ~ Joel Caswell

Adam Danforth

Mar 22, 2020, 12:50:41 AM3/22/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
Joel,

I understand your desire to play, and the inherent perplexity of wondering whether or not this pandemic is truly the magnitude that it's being portrayed in its news outlet coverage. I, too, have questioned whether or not the social distancing, self-quarantine, or forthcoming shelter-in-place restrictions are worth the economic, psychological, and social fallout. I've asked myself and others these past few weeks about how much we, as a society, are willing to sacrifice to avoid the inevitability of death. Apparently, a lot. My industry — food and service – is being gutted by these restrictions, as are so many others. It's saddening to watch.

Despite this, as a citizen, I am doing my part to comply with what is being asked of me. If it were to become the law to not gather, it would be more like martial law, and I don't think we need to wait for that level of authority to be put in place to abide by the request that we temporarily hold off on our electives until further notice.

In the meantime, I'm fighting against it in my own ways. I'm working to organize triage butcher shops in cities where we already have networks of food producers, processors, and working to match them with the food-insecure. I'm trying to figure out how to ensure that farmlands aren't lost to this (necessary or not) quarantine and replaced in the future by subdivisions or monocultures. And asking how we keep our local restaurants and food producers in this Rogue Valley around so that our options after we come out of this aren't Sysco and Cracker Barrel.

We can all play a part in helping because no matter what our views are on whether or not this is required, it is happening and it will leave a considerable impact.

Requiring a newly passed legal ordinance that bars us from playing is not the kind of community I see in the friends and teammates of SOUPA. I see folks who are invested into their community, volunteer their time to take care of those in need, are engaged and empathetic to the requests of those around them, and are ready and willing to make the temporary sacrifice of playing pick-up for an uncertain amount of time to potentially save some lives, even as speculative and farfetched as some of us may think that is.

I do look forward to when we can gather again and reflect on the changes from this global scenario. Until then . . .

All my best,

- adam

Butcher, Educator & Father
http://www.adamdanforth.com

Joel Caswell

Mar 22, 2020, 12:57:09 AM3/22/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
Two age old considerations for thought:

1. Don’t believe what you hear and only half of what you see.

2. Keep calm and carry on.

 ~ Joel Caswell

Russ Causley

Mar 22, 2020, 2:18:49 AM3/22/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
Hahaha woo! Gotta love this listserv. It’s always good for a dose of absurdity and pointless bickering.

Can’t say I will miss it.

Raliegh Grantham

Mar 22, 2020, 12:03:25 PM3/22/20
to SOUPA

Age old consideration for thought: exponential growth is hard for us to comprehend, but you can do it with a little brain power.

--
Raliegh

Paul Belson

Mar 22, 2020, 2:39:38 PM3/22/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
Thanks Raleigh.  Nice virus superheroes with their shields.  I appreciate you sharing the age old consideration of information from knowledgable sources.  Maybe some here will get it, eventually.

Paul Belson

Mar 22, 2020, 3:21:56 PM3/22/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA
As much as I would love to play disc, I will go with CDC on this one, and the informed experience of Japan, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, etc., rather than the colossal poor judgment i just read.   See you on the line sometime.

Jim Castellano

Mar 22, 2020, 5:18:24 PM3/22/20
to soupagro...@googlegroups.com, SOUPA

Has Cramp Up been cancelled?

Jim Castellano
Alpine Electric
521 Haven Rd.
Jacksonville, OR 97530
CCB# 224394

Joel Caswell

Mar 22, 2020, 5:55:44 PM3/22/20
to Jim Castellano, SOUPA
As yet, no. But seems pretty likely at this point!

 ~ Joel Caswell

On Mar 22, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Jim Castellano <j...@alpineelectricor.com> wrote:

<image0.jpeg>

erin federline

Mar 25, 2020, 10:34:48 AM3/25/20
On Saturday, March 21, 2020, 05:09:33 PM PDT, Joel Caswell <joelmc...@gmail.com> wrote:

Sunday pickup 3PM @ Fichtner Mainwaring park.  I know there are some people who want to get out and get some exercise, weather forecast shows warm and sunny.

If anyone is worried about it, pickup by nature shouldn’t have any 10 people within 6’ of each other at any given time, and is then allowed even under the current order given by the Governor limiting public gatherings.  Pickup is still happening with this understanding with extra sanitation measures in most cities around the country.

See some of you tomorrow!

~

This conversation is locked