Yet another Socket Error Question

howar...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2016, 10:18:59 PM12/10/16
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hello.
I am getting the dreaded "Login failed. Reported failure reason: socket error. Please change your login settings in the Options tab and try reconnecting."

When I first installed Soulseek I did not have to do any fancy port forwarding or really anything to set it up. It just worked.

Just tonight I decided I was being a bit silly not using the VPN I pay for while using soulseek.  So I tried.  It seemed to work, I got results from 1 search and quickly downloaded something.   Then I searched a couple other things, no results.  Maybe they were too obscure, not sure.
I went to Options: Login and clicked "Check Ports".   Failed!  I realized I better set the 'listening port' to the open port given by the VPN.  i restarted and no dice. I changed the listening port to the same, as they were the same before, and no dice. Ah, I thought, I bet the VPN doesn't have the port open.  I read that soulseek doesn't play well with VPNs, and whether that is true or not, i turned mine off.

I restarted everything, and now soulseek won't connect.  Socket error.   I changed the Listening port and server port back to the way they were. No dice.
I set up port forwarding (which i didn't have to do before) and now when I click 'Check Ports' it says "Port: 59542/tcp open. Your router and Soulseek client is configured correctly."
But still, Socket Failure.

In summary.
I tried:
Restarting.
Setting up port forwarding (that was successful according to "Check Ports"
Trying a new account.

I tried reinstalling soulseek, but despite clearing every trace of it on the computer (i thought) it still remembered my settings when i reinstalled it.

Any ideas?

Thank you!!!
JT

howar...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2016, 1:26:50 AM12/12/16
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Just so folks know.  I downloaded soulseek on an old laptop, and just like before it worked right off the bat (using the new login).  I then copied the numbers from that installation to the one I was having problems with, and lo-and-behold everythings fine now.
I must have used the wrong numbers.