Trying to download locked files in SoulseekQt does'nt display any message (bug report)

aquila....@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2017, 10:43:06 AM10/13/17
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hi Nir Arbel,

I would like to submit some bugs related to SoulseekQt builds for Windows.

First bug: When trying to download locked files (by the Windows OS or by a third party app) in SoulseekQt (2017-4-6-Qt5.1, 2017-6-20 or 2017-7-29), let say, for the sake of the testing, the "NTUSER.dat" file, shared by some users, I get no message at all. The files are blue and haves no queue place. At least in Soulseek NS versions I get the message "Failed".
Please fix this in the next release so that I would know that particular file(s) are locked (undownloadable) by displaying some message like "Aborted/Failed".

Second bug: Many users still use Soulseek NS versions (with no Unicode support). So if they share files with their name containing Unicode characters (diacritics etc.), those files are displayed with "?" characters and because of that it can not be downloaded.
There is any chance so that the new SoulseekQt builds bypass this glitch and still be able to download those files?

Third bug: Some users have low bandwidth for their internet connection or they are using the "Limit Download Speed". So I will be able to download from them only with 2-3 kb/s. By using SoulseekQt build 2017-7-29 on Windows 10 Enterprise, very often I get the message "Aborted" after downloaded decremental from 4 kb/s to 3 kb/s to 2 kb/s to 1 kb\s and then it stops. To restart the download of those files I use "Retry download". This is very annoying and frustrating. By the time I use and reuse "Retry download" option that user exit the network. In other versions of Windows I did not encounter this issue. Can u make some feature of the next builds of Soulseek to automatically retry the downloads on this type of connections?

Any chance for a SoulseekQt build release supporting the Windows XP with the new improvements?

Best regards,
Aquila

Nir Arbel

Oct 16, 2017, 8:06:08 PM10/16/17
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Hey Aquila,

My time is especially constrained right now unfortunately so I don't know when I'll be able to look into these issues. I did provide a new XP build in a pinned topic at the top of the forum though.

Cheers, Nir