Socket Error

a.e...@warwick.ac.uk

Nov 29, 2016, 3:30:47 AM11/29/16
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
I have been using Soulseek QT for a while now with no issues. However recently when I open the client (build 2016.4.24 on Windows 10), it is unable to connect and after a while displays the error: Login failed. Reported failure reason: socket error. Please change your login settings in the Options tab and try reconnecting.

"Check Ports" always shows ports are closed, even when those ports have been manually opened??

Have tried everything from opening different ports to restarting everything. Nothing seems to work!

Problem began about 2 weeks ago, without any changes (That I know of), and now getting desperate!

Please can anyone help me out on this issue?!

Cheers in advance,
Alex

NityaHridaya

Jan 20, 2017, 5:46:35 PM1/20/17
to Soulseek Technical Discussion

Same here , can't connect last 2-3 weeks , change user name 2 months ago and without problem resume all users,private rooms member etc etc , but now ca't connect , try different user name , no succces , DESPERATE !!!!

H E L P !!!!

NityaHridaya

Jan 21, 2017, 5:21:54 PM1/21/17
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
 Just connected to soulseek , QT working :)))) h a p p y   again!

rgr...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2017, 11:15:57 AM1/26/17
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
is there some solution to this?

suddenly started, now i'm unable to connect.

himyname...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2017, 4:03:57 PM2/8/17
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Yeah, same issue. Persistently happens every couple of days/sometimes when I leave the application open for a long time. Then eventually after several hours I can log back in.

pyr...@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2017, 8:44:24 PM2/10/17
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
So no solution? I haven't been able to access mine for about three weeks. This after some seven years with no problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nir Arbel

Feb 10, 2017, 9:28:42 PM2/10/17
to soulseek-...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if any of you would be able to connect via a VPN service like PrivateInternetAccess. PIA in particular is slow for me with Soulseek but I'm able to connect. I hear there are better VPNs out there currently. Might be a good way to see if it's a problem with your ISP or something similar.

edit: I'm hearing good things about IPVanish, haven't tried it though.

Nir Arbel

Feb 13, 2017, 4:36:53 AM2/13/17
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
For what it's worth, I tried IPVanish, and it was just as slow for me as PrivateInternetAccess, if not slower. I could still connect, but it seemed like it took 10-15 seconds.

himyname...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2017, 1:09:17 PM2/13/17
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
VPNs tend to be a bit of a no go for me, because of having a slow internet connection. I don't suspect my ISP blocking anything anyway, because I live in South Africa and they don't tend to give a crap or block anything.
Message has been deleted

szabo....@yahoo.com

Mar 2, 2017, 3:33:28 PM3/2/17
to Soulseek Technical Discussion
Okay, here's what just happened. I WAS ABLE TO CONNECT AFTER HAVING SOCKET ERROR ISSUE.
I have downloaded and installed the old NS version too, and I was able to immediately connect with the same username. I closed the old app, opened the QT version, and the socket error issue is now gone.