Tutorial for LYT8266/Souliss

Panos Ioannidis

Aug 19, 2016, 1:13:59 PM8/19/16
to souliss
Hi guys,

I just got my LYT8266 lamp and was wondering if there's a tutorial/guide on how to control it using the souliss android app. I looked around but can't find something.

Thanks,
Panos

Flavio P.

Aug 19, 2016, 1:42:22 PM8/19/16
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Hello and welcome in!
I think you're searching for this...

Hope this help!
Flavio

P ********* Consideriamo l'ambiente prima di stampare questa e-mail *** Think about environment before printing *********
Il contenuto di questo messaggio e-mail è privato e riservato al solo destinatario. L'utilizzo non autorizzato può costituire reato. Se ricevuto erroneamente siete pregati di cancellarlo e comunicarci via e-mail l'errata ricezione.

Panos Ioannidis

Aug 19, 2016, 2:15:28 PM8/19/16
to souliss
I've seen this but I'm stuck at the beginning and was wondering if there's something else (that's talking for the app specifically).

Anyway... This is where I'm stuck. When I try to go to 192.168.4.1 with my browser, it tells me that the connection is refused...

I checked a number of things like:

- pinging 192.168.4.1 which appears to be okay (I'm receiving packets back).

- using the packetsender which also appears to work properly as I'm able to change colors and intensity. I don't know if it makes any difference but it's "reversed" compared to the manual since because I have to use "+4" for white and "+1" for color.

Also, I don't know if it makes any difference but the AP name is "LYT8266" and not "Souliss" as mentioned in the tutorial.

Thanks,
Panos

Flavio P.

Aug 19, 2016, 2:24:23 PM8/19/16
to sou...@googlegroups.com
So, have you download the example code on LYT, like the tutorial?For first you must erase with the erase example.

Di Maio, Dario

Aug 20, 2016, 11:09:16 AM8/20/16
to sou...@googlegroups.com

Hi Panos,

your bulb is running the Authometion example and not the Souliss one.

You need the USB programmer to load the Erase sketch and then the Souliss one, then you will be able to connect via browser.

Dario.

From Mobile.

Panos Ioannidis

Aug 20, 2016, 2:32:23 PM8/20/16
to souliss
Hi guys,

Thanks for the info!

I have installed the board and the library and now I'm trying to make the USB to UART cable that I have to use in order to reprogram the bulb. However, I'm not sure which wires from the bulb connector to connect to which USB wires. I saw that there's a table in the tutorial saying this but I'm not sure which USB wires are TX, RX, RTS and DTR. In the USB pinouts I've found they're only talking about 5V, + data, - data...

Ideas?

Panos

Panos Ioannidis

Aug 20, 2016, 2:51:29 PM8/20/16
to souliss
I just realized that what I just said was stupid!

What I need to reprogram my bulb is usb to serial adapter like this, right? The pins on my adapter are TX, RX, GND, 3v3 and 5V. So I still can't understand where these RTS and DTR pins are...

Flavio P.

Aug 20, 2016, 6:02:37 PM8/20/16
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you are right.
RTS and DTR are not used, only TX and RX are necessary.
Make sure your adapter work also with 3v3.

Flavio

Panos Ioannidis

Aug 20, 2016, 6:23:04 PM8/20/16
to souliss
So I'm only connecting TX, RX and GND? No other pin?

Flavio P.

Aug 20, 2016, 6:41:51 PM8/20/16
to sou...@googlegroups.com
If you take a look in the tutorial, you can see the right connections and the right step to download the example on your LYT....
;-)
Flavio

Panos Ioannidis

Aug 21, 2016, 2:12:55 PM8/21/16
to souliss
So I've connected TX, RX and GND from the bulb to RX, TX and GND in my USB-to-serial adapter, respectively. And since I haven't connected any power pins (e.g. 5V), I'm powering the bulb from the wall plug (220V). When I'm also connecting GPIOo to GND (as the tutorial says) the bulb doesn't light up after I flip the switch. Is this okay?

Anyway, I also opened "erase" sketch in the Arduino IDE, but I get a compilation error when I try to verify it. The error message is the following:

Arduino: 1.6.8 (Linux), Board: "Generic ESP8266 Module, 80 MHz, 40MHz, QIO, 115200, 1M (64K SPIFFS), ck, Disabled, None"

/home/panos/Arduino/libraries/souliss/examples/LYTBulb/e02_LYT8266_WiFi_Erase/e02_LYT8266_WiFi_Erase.ino:16:31: fatal error: bconf/MCU_ESP8266.h: No such file or directory

#include "bconf/MCU_ESP8266.h"

^
compilation terminated
.
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Generic ESP8266 Module.

Even though it says it can't find the file, I do have it in:

/home/panos/Arduino/libraries/souliss/bconf/MCU_ESP8266.h

Should it be some place else?

Thanks!

Di Maio, Dario

Aug 21, 2016, 3:02:01 PM8/21/16
to sou...@googlegroups.com

Likely you are running Souliss 7.1 with an IDE > 1.6.5 that's not supported.

Dario.

From Mobile.

Panos Ioannidis

Aug 21, 2016, 3:40:14 PM8/21/16
to souliss
Dario, yes the IDE version was the problem. I downloaded 1.6.5 and it was compiled okay. I'm now stuck again, however :( It can't upload the sketch. The error I'm getting is:

error: espcomm_open failed
error
: espcomm_upload_mem failed

I also tried with the GPIOo pin connected to GND (on the serial adapter), but without luck.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Di Maio, Dario

Aug 21, 2016, 4:00:34 PM8/21/16
to sou...@googlegroups.com

Poweroff, gpio0 at gnd, once powered on at vcc. Then try to upload.

Dario.

From Mobile.

Panos Ioannidis

Aug 23, 2016, 2:36:48 PM8/23/16
to souliss
Hi Dario,

I've tried what you suggested but it didn't work.

I then ordered the LYT8266 programming cable and tried the same things I've tried with the previous USB-to-serial but, again, no luck :( No matter what I do, I always get the above error (about espcomm). I also tried on my other computer but I still get them same error...

Some things that come into mind as potential problems are:
- Does it matter what I select at Tools -> Programmer in the Arduino IDE?
- Is this the address I should be using in File -> Preferences -> Additional URLs: http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json
- At the module settings I couldn't find the "Upload using" parameter. Should I look for it some place other than "Tools"?

Anything else that I'm missing?

Thanks,
Panos

Di Maio, Dario

Aug 24, 2016, 3:41:48 AM8/24/16
to sou...@googlegroups.com

You should start from an how to program an ESP8266, there is a starting guide in our Tutorials and many other over the internet.

All your points matters, but others apply also.

Dario.

From Mobile.

Panos Ioannidis

Aug 24, 2016, 4:08:10 AM8/24/16
to souliss
Thanks Dario. I'll start with a more basic tutorial.

Panos Ioannidis

Oct 13, 2016, 3:46:27 PM10/13/16
to souliss
Hello again,

I came back to LYT8266 after playing with esp-01 (and a bit with Huzzah). I think that my problem with LYT8266 is that I can't get the ESP8266 chip to bootloading mode... I tried again with power off -> gpio0 to GND -> gpio0 off GND and it doesn't work. And of course I've bought the "official" programming cable and connected it like they suggest here

but still no luck.

Is it ESP-03 the chip that LYT8266 uses?

Di Maio, Dario

Oct 13, 2016, 4:06:53 PM10/13/16
to sou...@googlegroups.com

Hi Panos,

have you read this?
http://souliss.net/media/esp8266-wifi-multicolor-bulb/

If you connect all four pins, the ESP reset will be driven by the Arduino IDE as per standard Arduino boards.
If you are with only three wires (tx, rx, gnd) then you should pull GPIO0 as per all the other ESP.

Check your wiring if you have problems.

Dario.

From Mobile.

Panos Ioannidis

Oct 13, 2016, 4:57:31 PM10/13/16
to souliss
Yes, I read the post you mention.

Also, yes, I connected all five (why do you say four?) pins as shown in the cable manual and my wiring is right!

Juan Pablo Kutianski

Oct 14, 2016, 3:48:48 AM10/14/16
to souliss
Yes it's a ESP-03.

On the ESP-03 the GPIO15 & GPIO0 have to be pulldown & GPIO2 pullup at boot to program the flash.
Check if the GPIO15, GPIO0, GPIO2 & CH_PD are properly solder to the LYT board.

Try to reverse TX & RX.

Panos Ioannidis

Oct 15, 2016, 1:11:34 PM10/15/16
to souliss
Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I finally made it!!

Juan, I guess you were right in that the ESP-03 wasn't properly soldered on the board (I think the TX/RX pins). I soldered my "pins" directly on the ESP-03, wired them et voila! Worked like a charm! I admit that soldering was a bit of a challenge for me and I still wonder how on earth I didn't burn anything on the LYT board with my soldering iron!

I'm attaching a couple of photos since I'm very proud that I finally made it :p

Thank you all for your help!
20161015_180802.jpg
20161015_180814.jpg