vNet driver for PJON-Protocol

Kai

Sep 6, 2016, 5:01:28 AM9/6/16
to souliss
Hi,

I think about implementing a vNet driver for the PJON-Protocol. The protocol is designed for communication over one wire with a GPIO-pin or 433MHz modules. It should handle bad conditions for the transmission. For a better understanding the GitHub-Wiki has more informations.

Before I fork Souliss on GitHub and make my own branch for trying to implement such a driver I have a few questions.

First of all: Make a PJON-driver sense? Is there a similar functionality in Souliss which I haven’t seen until now? Is there a reason this couldn't work? ...

Other questions are about implementation details: How I write a vNet driver? I see Media 4 is not used - why? Should I use Media 4 or create Media 6? Have you tips for the implementation or hints for documentation I obvious don't read or understand? ...

I am excited about your answers.

Best regards,
Kai

Juan Pinto

Sep 6, 2016, 9:27:34 AM9/6/16
to souliss
Hi Kai, I tested a long time ago the 433Mhz modules to send data from some sensors to a GW, you can make bi-direcctional communications using an emitter and receiver on both modules.

I can't help you on the Vnet side, most probably Dario can solve your questions :)

I like the idea, please keep us updated :P

Regards

Di Maio, Dario

Sep 10, 2016, 7:03:00 AM9/10/16
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kai,

PJON looks similar to vNet/MaCaco used in Souliss, what's your goal?

Using the Media4 will means use the networking layer of vNet, then you should run PJON instead of MaCaco on that Media to decode the messages. But in this way you will rebuild a parallel Souliss by your self.

Dario.

Kai

Sep 11, 2016, 7:19:30 PM9/11/16
to souliss
Hi Juan, hi Dario,

thank you for your answers.

I like the simple solution of PJON to connect devices only over one GPIO and GND as a BUS-Network. On a blog post of hackaday.com it is mentioned, that this will work even through the body which is after all not a perfect medium for signals. With such a solution it is possible to connect for example all the switches in a house, if there are unused wires in the used cable, or all electric shutters with a small easy to hide cable on a renovation. When I remembered that vNet can be used capsuled in other protocols like IP, the idea was born.

Of course it makes no sense to implement this when vNet/MaCaco offer a similar solution. I don't know if this is possible and how to program and wire the devices. Maybe I read over this functionality or it is not documented (in the wiki)?

Nevertheless I am interested how it is possible to combine vNet with other "new" protocols. When media 4 is used for the networking of vNet it is of course a bad solution. Is it possible to define another media like media 6 from 0xEFFF to 0xFFFF?

Best Regards

Di Maio, Dario

Sep 12, 2016, 2:09:40 AM9/12/16
to sou...@googlegroups.com

Hi Kai,

PJON is a low level protocol comparable to what has been implemented on Media5 in vNet. Actually Media4 is free and can be used for new protocols.

If you have average programming skills you should be able to include that code in Media4. You just have to copy the headers from Media5 and include PJON inside.
There is no license statement for PJON so the author may deny the release of the combinet code in public.

Anyhow try before to get your devices communicating with PJON, if you are planning to use it over unusual communication media (like water pipe as suggested) you may find it unreliable and slow.

Dario.

From Mobile.