Multi purpose board

Marco Monti

Jun 23, 2015, 5:39:33 AM6/23/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,
 finally I am near to the final version of my multi-purpose board, I have created this small pcb with the aim of having a flexible board (as much as it can be in only 5cmx5cm).
It is able to:
- mount various versions of arduino mini pro (either 3.3v or 5v version, as well as other versions that has pins on all sides)
- two push buttons (always useful)
- a mosfet (which can be powered either from main supply or 5V rail)
- two voltage regulators : 5v with the classic 7805 and 3.3v with an ams1117 module
- an esp-01 with programming jumpers
- an NRF24L01

you can plug only what you need as I tried to keep the parts disconnected, for example there is a pad to be soldered with a jumpwire to the pin that you like, the same for the two push buttons and the esp, while I cabled the NRF.

It is not the best of the design as it is home made, but it is designed not to use smd (so that it will be easy to assemble for most of the hobbyists)
Below the picture (I am attaching also the picture without the ground plane so that it is easier to read)
All comments are welcome (especially if there are mistakes ;) )

Best
Marco

Di Maio, Dario

Jun 23, 2015, 5:53:00 AM6/23/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com

Nice design, is the ground plane too near the radios?

Dario.

From Mobile.

Marco Monti

Jun 23, 2015, 6:02:01 AM6/23/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
The radios are mostly outside the PCB so actually the antennas should not be much affected from the PCB ground plane.
Best
Marco

Juan Pinto

Jun 23, 2015, 10:32:59 AM6/23/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Very good job! :)

Regards

Di Maio, Dario

Jun 23, 2015, 10:47:53 AM6/23/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
How you will build this board?

Marco Monti

Jun 23, 2015, 11:32:51 AM6/23/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Thank you ;)

My idea was to send a small batch production of 10 pcs from DirtyPCB and assemble the parts myself.

I am also working on another version which has two relays instead of the push buttons, always in 25cm2 space.

Best
Marco

Yoosof Piran

Jun 23, 2015, 4:53:21 PM6/23/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marco
can you share your schemaic with us?
about lm1117 , its very very noisy LDO and nrf module doesnt work fine with that!

Marco Monti

Jun 24, 2015, 4:45:47 AM6/24/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Hello Yoosof, I am attaching the schematics below , but as there are few components I have designed the board directly at the pcb level.
I know it is not the best approach but considering that there were few pieces and that anyway I check every single routing that eagle does it was quicker for me to do like that.
As far as the AMS1117 I am considering to use one of this modules, which you can get for very low price and they are quite compact.

Risultati immagini per ams1117 module
Do you have experience with those modules being very noisy?

Best
Marco

Di Maio, Dario

Jun 24, 2015, 4:50:30 AM6/24/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com

Hi Marco, can you give an example? Are you referring to caps and resistor?

Dario.

From Mobile.

Marco Monti

Jun 24, 2015, 5:15:28 AM6/24/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dario,
 in the scheme there is an AMS1117 (not LM117) together with four capacitors, all that block is part of one of those compact AMS module (this is why you do not find them in my pcb)

I bought few of them  here http://www.banggood.com/10Pcs-5V-3_3V-DC-DC-AMS1117-800MA-Step-Down-Power-Supply-Buck-Module-p-944687.html

Cheers
Marco

Di Maio, Dario

Jun 24, 2015, 5:19:56 AM6/24/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com

From your quote: Hello Yoosof, I am attaching the schematics below , but as there are few components I have designed the board directly at the pcb level.

I've understood that you build caps and resistors using PCB trace, is it?

Dario.

From Mobile.

Marco Monti

Jun 24, 2015, 6:29:23 AM6/24/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dario,
 no for that I meant that normally you start from the circuit design and then you move to the pcb, while I went directly to design the pcb (it was just a consideration)

Cheers

Marco

Il giorno mercoledì 24 giugno 2015 11:19:56 UTC+2, Dario Di Maio ha scritto:

From your quote: Hello Yoosof, I am attaching the schematics below , but as there are few components, I have designed the board directly at the pcb level.

Yoosof Piran

Jun 24, 2015, 12:19:22 PM6/24/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Hi All
many of people in this  community and in the world have problem with NRF module (google nrf24l01 problems)
there are two reasons for this problems:
1)nrf module comes out in very different IC types and quality
2)noisy power supply (google it about nrf module , probably you found that you should use big capacitors near nrf module)

as my experience with this module , good way to working good on nrf module are
1)buying good quality
2)using ultra low noise LDO(like mic5205)

your schematic have a little problems that if you want we can fix it step by step
for Example
AVR micros works in two mode
1)16Mhz via 5 Volt
2)8Mhz via 3.3 volt
souliss works on 16Mhz so it need to has 5 Volt so whats your plan?

Di Maio, Dario

Jun 24, 2015, 12:24:32 PM6/24/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com

Souliss runs also at 8Mhz.

From Mobile.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "souliss" group.

Yoosof Piran

Jun 24, 2015, 12:36:11 PM6/24/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
anyway, should be a plan to work with 3.3 or 5 volt because of nrf and esp works on 3.3

Di Maio, Dario

Jun 24, 2015, 12:44:32 PM6/24/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com

You are right, 3v3 is the best option.

Dario.

From Mobile.

Marco Monti

Jun 24, 2015, 6:10:19 PM6/24/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I understand the problem with the noise but I do not understand the problem with the avr voltage, there are both 5v and 3.3v regulator on the board, so that you can choose which you need according to the version or arduino mini pro that you have.
Am I missing something?
Thanks
Marco

Di Maio, Dario

Jun 25, 2015, 2:08:11 AM6/25/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com

I think that Yoosof was just telling that having only one linear regulator you should go for 3v3, because is used by the radio as only option for power supply.

Dario.

From Mobile.

Marco Monti

Jun 25, 2015, 3:06:02 AM6/25/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Ok, yes in case of a single regulator it is better to go for 3.3v.

I placed two regulators on purpose so that I can interface many other things which could work at 5v (I made this board with the idea to be flexible as much as possible).

Marco

Juan Pinto

Jun 25, 2015, 5:30:03 AM6/25/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com

I'm agree with Marco in this case,  I designed my board with two regulators to connect some 5v devices as a PIR sensor and others.

Regards

Yoosof Piran

Jun 25, 2015, 8:01:51 AM6/25/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
there is a problem with multi voltage running
imagine your micro run on 5 volt so you want communicate with ESP module (ESP core supply and pin supply max voltage is 3.7)
technically in this situation using level shifter is a good option

next
1)finally your micro wants to work on 3.3 or 5 volt?
im asking that question because of it affect on mosfet design

2)from your pcb i understand that maybe you have 3D collision between ESP Or NRF or that central module

Marco Monti

Jun 25, 2015, 11:21:10 AM6/25/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Hello Yoosof,
-  for Arduino TX -> ESP RX I could use a resistor divider (one of the reason why I did not wire directly the pins)
-  for ESP to Arduino 3.3v should be enough to drive the arduino input even if it is the 5V version, otherwise I will need to find the space for a level shifter.

anyway the idea was to have a board that could be used in various situations therefore I left many pins disconnected as well as duplicating all arduino pins so that they could be wired according to the need, look at it like a prototype board if you prefer ;)

As far as the mosfet you can solder the mosfet you prefer to match output you have.

What you mean for 3D collision? do you think the pieces will not fit the board ?

Thanks a lot for your valuable input!

Best
Marco

Yoosof Piran

Jun 25, 2015, 5:03:17 PM6/25/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dear Marco
this is my idea for you
1)run any avr in 5 volt
2)for devices that required 3.3 volt translation use this https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12009 (you can use schematic of this only and build custom for yours)

yes i think the pieces will not fit , if you put esp and nrf modules out of the board not problem but it would be nice if you can put all devices on top of your board
but about that mosfet you use it on schematic , can you tell me about part number?

Marco Monti

Jun 26, 2015, 3:23:20 AM6/26/15
to sou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yoosof,
 thank you!
I do not want to use SMDs therefore worst case (and if I can find the space) I could use an NMOS like the  2n7000 to do the level shifting, or another solution instead of the divider could be a 3.3v zener, what do you think?
Yes the NRF and ESP will be out of the board, it is very difficult to keep all of them inside 5cmx5cm.
As far as the mosfet it depends on what you need to do with it and what arduino will be used, for sure it should be a Logic level mosfet.
If you want to go for 3.3v you need a mosfet with very low Vgs, there are many and depends also what you want to drive (just as example RF1S30N06LESM,FDD8780, etc)
For 5v there are even more.
Cheers
Marco