Scenarios where soma.js are suited for

Pulak Bhattacharyya

Jul 8, 2013, 1:28:49 PM7/8/13
to som...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would like to know the scenarios/use-cases where soma.js is best suited for.

Thanks,
Pulak

Romuald Quantin

Jul 8, 2013, 2:22:09 PM7/8/13
to som...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

The framework is very lightweight and bare bone. It is very good if you don't want to a framework that impose its own structure as it will let you build your own.

You are free of using your own libraries on top of it. No router, no selector, no ajax.
I give advices on the site to use other libraries with it for common tasks. Just so you can write interfaces for them and completely decoupled external libraries from your own.

It is very good to create decoupled components and re-usable code, thanks to dependency injection and all design patterns tools it provides (commands, mediator, etc).

You write vanilla javascript, not framework classes. Kind of good if you want to build your components from scratch.

There's no magic inside, just pure javascript, so it is just completely fine on mobile.

It is good for any size app and it will shine on larger one. It can be a way out of chaotic javascript and avoid spaghetti code but still need the developer skills to get there.

In short, if you care about unit testing, want to reduce dependencies, coupling in general, and want to create a highly reusable code in vanilla javascript, it will be the one for you.

I'm about to release a lengthy article that demonstrates how to write scalable applications.
I'll post it back here soon, it should help.

Does that help?

Ask me more precise questions if you want, it will be easier for me to answer.

Romu

Pulak Bhattacharyya

Jul 8, 2013, 2:38:32 PM7/8/13
to som...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Romuald.

I will definitely review the framework against the points you have specified above and will come back with queries.

At this moment, I have the following query:

Say, I have an existing application which is developed, say without using any framework. Now I am developing a new module using soma.js. Now this new module has to be integrated
with that existing application. So in this scenario, how soma.js will help the developer.

Further, I will be looking forward to article of how to write scalable applications.

Romuald Quantin

Jul 8, 2013, 2:54:26 PM7/8/13
to som...@googlegroups.com
I don't think any framework will really provide help adding a module built
with it to a completely foreign one. This is work that has to be done
independently anyway, if I got the right picture.

The question could probably be : "I'll build a new module with soma.js,
will I have any problems integrating it with a foreign module?"

And the answer is no, soma.js is pure javascript and structure-free, so you
won't have any problems.

The other way around, integrating the existing modules with a soma.js app,
could be very easy without changing these modules.

If you feel you need a framework to build new modules, what is it that you
are missing or trying to improve? This could be the real question with
possibly an underlying problem in the existing modules.

Romu

Pulak Bhattacharyya

Jul 11, 2013, 2:02:36 PM7/11/13
to som...@googlegroups.com
Romuald I have the following queries:

1. Is it suitable for mobile application development?

2. Will it work on on all current (mobile) browsers, as well as on older browsers like Internet Explorer?

3. What about community support?

4. Where do i report bugs, feature requests, patches?

Please share your thoughts.

Pulak Bhattacharyya

Jul 11, 2013, 2:06:56 PM7/11/13
to som...@googlegroups.com
5. Who are the other contributors apart from you?

Romuald Quantin

Jul 12, 2013, 4:57:07 AM7/12/13
to som...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pulak,

The following goes for both soma.js and soma-template.

1. Is it suitable for mobile application development?

Absolutely.

2. Will it work on on all current (mobile) browsers, as well as on older browsers like Internet Explorer?

Works on all current browsers, and until IE7. IE6 not supported.

3. What about community support?

Don't expect from the community as the framework is very small and not largely used.
I'm happy providing help as much as I can if that matters.

4. Where do i report bugs, feature requests, patches?

On the Github issues page, that's the best.

Romuald Quantin

Jul 12, 2013, 4:58:03 AM7/12/13
to som...@googlegroups.com
5. Who are the other contributors apart from you?

The other contributor is Henry, he even made the first version of soma.js.