abhay jain

Feb 18, 2013, 9:45:39 AM2/18/13
to solon-voting, Henrik Ingo
Hi Henrik
I have successfull installed liquid feedback frontend version 2.0.1
and made demo areas ,policies,members and looked into its working.
And I have read some tutorials about writing daemon init script.
But I dont know how to make a diff for the init script.
Please guide me regarding this.

Abhay Jain

Henrik Ingo

Feb 18, 2013, 1:49:48 PM2/18/13
to abhay jain, solon-voting
Hi

Ok, now the real learning begins.

This depends now a bit on the project you want to contribute to.

Liquid Feedback

Liquid Feedback is hosted in Mercurial revision control system. You
can use mercurial to checkout a copy of their latest source code, then
do your changes to that. Since you don't have any user account to
their mercurial server, you cannot commit your changes back, rather
you would have to generate a diff file and then email it to the
mailing list, so that lqfb maintainers can themselves commit it.

I have never used mercurial myself, so you would have to work with a
tutorial to go this path.

In practice it is also possible to simply download a release tar file,
like we have done, and do changes to that. You can then generate a
diff by comparing 2 directories: one with the unpacked tar file
contents without changes, and another with your changes. For example:

$ ls -F
liquid_feedback_core.orig/ liquid_feedback_core.new/

$ diff -Pur liquid_feedback_core.orig liquid_feedback_core.new >
liquid_feedback_core-v2.0.1-add_init_files-v0.1.diff

The output is directed to a *.diff file with some meaningful name.

More on difff. http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?diff

Solon
Helios

Both Solon and Helios are hosted on GitHub. Here the workflow is
different. You should create your own account on github.com, then use
the "fork" function to create your own working copy of Solon. You then
use Git revision control to "clone" your "fork" to your own computer,
where you can work on the changes, and then "commit" and "push" your
changes back to your Github fork. Then you will use Github to send a
"pull request" to my Solon project, which means I should review and
merge your changes.

This technique is also based on diff's, kind of, but you don't have to
use the diff command yourself, rather it is built into Git.

A Git/Github tutorial is here: http://learn.github.com/p/intro.html

I recommend we skip Liquid Feedback for the init task. It is more
useful for you to learn Git, and it is in any case easier for you to
do an init script for Solon, as I can then review and accept it
immediately. The tools used by Liquid Feedback are quite exotic, also
mercurial is not exactly mainstream. So let's just let it continue to
not have init scripts for a while and you can start with learning Git
first, that will be useful for you in the future too.

I hope the Git tutorial works for you, I didn't watch it myself but I
know it is a popular one.

henrik
> --

henri...@avoinelama.fi
+358-40-8211286 skype: henrik.ingo irc: hingo
www.openlife.cc

My LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=9522559