solon project

abhay jain

Feb 6, 2013, 3:03:01 AM2/6/13
to solon-voting
Hi Everyone,

Fianlly I was able to install and run all the three solon ,liquid feedback and
helios on my system.

So what am I supposed to do now.

thanks

--

Abhay jain

Henrik Ingo

Feb 6, 2013, 11:15:35 AM2/6/13
to abhay jain, solon-voting
On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 10:03 AM, abhay jain <abhay.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Fianlly I was able to install and run all the three solon ,liquid feedback
> and
> helios on my system.
>
> So what am I supposed to do now.

Hi Abhay

This is great news! To be honest, I was unsure if any of you would
make it. Especially the Liquid Feedback installation is quite
complicated. Now the fun begins...

What was the issue with Tornado in Solon? Did you have a different version?

So, just to check the basics. Have you done the following:

1) Understanding Liquid Feedback

Use Liquid Feedback in "normal mode" first:
psql -c "UPDATE system_setting SET ext_voting_service=FALSE;" liquid_feedback

Now:

Log in as administrator in Liquid Feedback.
Create new Units and Areas.
Create new users that belong to the Unit.
Btw, I'm using a firefox plugin that allows me to easily switch
between users without logging in and out all the time. Unfortunately
I'm not at home now, I'll tell you the name of the plugin later.
Create issues, let the users discuss them and then vote on them.
Note that it helps testing if you create a policy where the times for
discussion, voting, etc... are short, like 10 minutes each.

2) Hook in Solon
psql -c "UPDATE system_setting SET ext_voting_service=TRUE;" liquid_feedback

Now try to start some new issues in Liquid Feedback. When you get to
voting phase, go to the Solon home page and click the first link
"Execute periodic tasks (cron)". This should copy the issues that are
open for voting to Solon. Using the other links you should be able to
browse them and vote on them.

Finally, when voting is closed, execute cron again and the results
should be pushed back to Liquid Feedback, which should display the
issue as closed and which alternative has won.

Doing the above for a few issues will help you understand the flow of
things in Liquid Feedback and Solon - and the data flow between them.

As for actual tasks, I was going to propose a few practice tasks to
begin with. As you noticed during installation, there are a few
processes that are actually running as daemons, but need to be started
manually in a terminal. It would be a useful contribution to all of
these projects to contribute proper init scripts.

For lf_updated the installation instructions already provided the
shell script and its init script, but for some reason they are not in
the tarball. You could start by producing a diff against the latest
Liquid Feedback release where they are added to the actual code.

Then a next step would be to similarly "daemonize" this step:
echo "Event:send_notifications_loop()" | ../webmcp/bin/webmcp_shell myconfig
...by copying and modifying the shell script and init script from lf_updted.

Finally, we should daemonize the Tornado web server used by Solon and
Django web server used by Helios. Both of these are also now started
from command line. They too can be daemonized by adapting the init
script above.

How to contribute:

Liquid Feedback is hosted in subversion which you can find at
dev.liquidfeedback.org. You should check out their trunk, then do
changes against it, do "svn diff" and post to the mailing list.

IMPORTANT: Do not mention solon or anything about cryptography when
emailing them. Just say you have been installing Liquid Feedback for a
school project and you wanted to contribute to make the installation
easier.

Both Solon and Helios are on Github. You should create your own Github
account, fork Solon/Helios, make changes, commit and push your own
branch, and send a pull request. Note that for Helios you need to find
out which is the correct and most recent branch to fork. Probably you
should ask on the mailing list about this.

Since there are 3 of you working on this project, each of you could do
one of the init scripts.

After the above practice task, we should start looking into glueing
together Solon and Helios.

henrik
--
henri...@avoinelama.fi
+358-40-8211286 skype: henrik.ingo irc: hingo

My LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=9522559

Henrik Ingo

Feb 7, 2013, 2:44:28 AM2/7/13
to abhay jain, solon-voting
On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 9:27 AM, abhay jain <abhay.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello sir,
>
> Regarding the tornado error ,torndao in my system was of version 1.1 so I
> removed it and installed
> tornado 2.1.It worked fine.

Ok, so this leads to another practice task: Fork solon project from
Github and add this version information to the README.

> Ok,sir I will study to write daemon init scripts and try to daemonize all
> the operations and I will regularly inform you about my progress.

Are the others still working on this too? It seems you're the only
one. If the others are still with us, it might make sense if you only
make 1/3 of the init scripts, for example those for Liquid Feedback,
and leave the other init scripts for Abhishek and Shubham to practice
on.

I'm traveling (again) to speak at yet another MySQL event. But I will
be home for the weekend and will try to look at what we can do with
Helios then.

abhay jain

Feb 17, 2013, 4:40:43 AM2/17/13
to henri...@avoinelama.fi, solon-voting
Hi Henrik
Whenever I am creating policies
I am getting an error in liquid feedback which says something like
../env/param/update.lua:33: Type of column "polling" is unknown.

Stack trace follows:
[C]: in function 'error'
../env/param/update.lua:33: in function <../env/param/update.lua:15>
(tail call): ?
(tail call): ?
(tail call): ?
(tail call): ?
(tail call): ?
(tail call): ?
(tail call): ?
(tail call): ?
../env/execute/wrapped.lua:21: in function <../env/execute/wrapped.lua:11>
(tail call): ?
(tail call): ?
../env/execute/filtered_action.lua:32: in function 'filtered_action'
webmcp.lua:313: in function <webmcp.lua:257>
[C]: in function 'xpcall'
webmcp.lua:256: in main chunk
[C]: in function 'pcall'
/opt/webmcp/cgi-bin/webmcp-wrapper.lua:7: in main chunk
[C]: ?
TRACE
close

Thanks for help.
Abhay Jain

Henrik Ingo

Feb 17, 2013, 7:25:45 AM2/17/13
to abhay jain, solon-voting
Weird, this works for me. Let's check versions:

http://lqfb:8080/lf/index/about.html

I have:

Software Version License
LiquidFeedback Frontend 2.0.1 MIT/X11
LiquidFeedback Core 2.0.11 MIT/X11
WebMCP 1.2.3 MIT/X11
Lua 5.1 MIT/X11
PostgreSQL 8.4.12 BSD

For the 3 first ones, make sure you have the same versions.

henrik

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 11:40 AM, abhay jain

abhay jain

Feb 17, 2013, 8:57:05 AM2/17/13
to henri...@avoinelama.fi, solon-voting
Hi Sir
I am having
LiquidFeedback Frontend
2.1.2
MIT/X11
LiquidFeedback Core
2.0.11
MIT/X11
WebMCP
1.2.5
MIT/X11
Lua
5.1
MIT/X11
PostgreSQL
8.4.13
BSD
So, do I need to reinstall all this?
Abhay Jain

Henrik Ingo

Feb 17, 2013, 4:25:18 PM2/17/13
to solon-voting
Yes. The Frontend and Core need to match. Sorry, I will add that to
the README, it's of course not obvious.

And the Core version of course also has to match the Solon patch, so
from there it follows you must use the exact versions I have, since we
don't have a patch for newer versions yet.

Henrik Ingo

Feb 18, 2013, 1:39:49 AM2/18/13
to abhay jain, solon-voting
I don't know why I have a different version then. If it is
recommended, then you can go with 1.2.4.

henrik