Re: [biochar] FW: [Stoves] Smoke, Fire, and Human Evolution [1 Attachment]

1 view

Erich Knight

Aug 10, 2016, 8:02:22 PM8/10/16
to biochar, se-bi...@googlegroups.com, Soil Age, wran...@fas.harvard.edu, gh...@psu.edu
Hi Char & Soil Forums,

I have some bones to pick about this article.

The anthropological research, char found in caves in S.Africa, with carbon 13 test, puts human use of fire to over 1 million years.
Ancient hominins such as Neanderthals and Denisovans also used fire, ya can't keep a good thing down. That's not to say epigenetic changes were the same but we homos had Superior mitochondrial differences, which in fact made us homo sapiens. Now did  Neanderthals and Denisovans also domesticate dogs?, as we did some 35K years ago. That along with mitochondrial differences, I would say, had a greater ifluence on evolutionary differences between us than fire has had.

We have been burning carbon, (biomass), for well over one million years, exploiting it out of the soils for 12,000 years, combusting fossil carbon for over 150 years. Now, we can grow nano-structured fossil carbons into an unprecedented variety of materials and even human tissues.
The Stone Age did not end for a lack of stones, as well, the Combustion Age will not end for lack of fossil fuels. Nanotechnology and Terra Preta Technology has thrust The Diamond Age
upon us, with it, the rectification of the Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles, Restoring Soil Ecology, In turn rectifying the Hydro-logic and Climate Cycle, this train is leaving the station, either get on board or be left in the combusted soot and CO2 pollution of history!

Since we have filled the air, filling the seas to full, Soil is the only ubiquitous and economic place to put it.

Thank you for your efforts

Cheers,

Erich

Erich J. Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
  540-289-9750

USBI 2016 Presentation; http://usbi2016.org/schedule/
"The Civilization of Soil",
Hall Marks of The Unintended & Intended Anthropocene

Policy & Community Chairman

2013 North American Biochar Symposium
Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 1:04 PM, 'Tom Miles' tmi...@trmiles.com [biochar] <bio...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from Tom Miles included below]

Laurie’s post to the stoves group seems germane to recent discussion here about smoke and toxicology.

Tom

Aug 10, 2016, 9:55:59 PM8/10/16
to biochar, se-bi...@googlegroups.com, Soil Age, wran...@fas.harvard.edu, gh...@psu.edu, pepp...@wisc.edu, m.ta...@unsw.edu.au
Dear Biochar & Soilers,

We also know that eating char, Biochar, increases enteric health.  as demenstrated by the Ithaka Institute work with animal feed supplements as they call it "Carbon Fodders". http://www.ithaka-institut.org/en/home

In ungulates increasing enteric methanotrophic microbes while decreasing methanogenic microbes.

The human gut microbes we know interact with the brain, making us happy just smelling soil. So who knows what eating char does for that system. The human microbiome can't be talked of enough. the meta-genomic assays ferreting it out & how soils make us happy via .Mycobacterium vaccae bacteria stimulating serotonin.
Smell the Geosmin,
and get glued to the Glomalin.

Identification of an Immune-Responsive Mesolimbocortical Serotonergic System: Potential Role in Regulation of Emotional Behavior

Christopher Lowry et al., 2007 in Neuroscience.
http://www.sage.edu/newsevents/news/?story_id=240785

Getting Stoned on Soil
http://www.gardenbetty.com/2012/06/getting-stoned-on-soil/

Wake up & smell the Geosmin

Brown Chemists Explain the Origin of Soil-Scented Geosmin
https://news.brown.edu/articles/2007/09/origin-soil-scented-geosmin

Cheers,

Erich

Erich J. Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
  540-289-9750

USBI 2016 Presentation; http://usbi2016.org/schedule/
"The Civilization of Soil",
Hall Marks of The Unintended & Intended Anthropocene

Policy & Community Chairman

2013 North American Biochar Symposium
Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

Posted by: Erich Knight <erichj...@gmail.com>

.