Re: 50 Reefs Initiative

Thomas Goreau

Mar 30, 2017, 9:45:30 AM3/30/17
to Steve Mussman, coralreef-...@yahoogroups.com, Soil Age
On Mar 30, 2017, at 8:20 AM, Steve Mussman <sea...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Hi Tom,

I was wondering if you had any thoughts on Ove Hoegh-Guldberg's rationale regarding the 50 Reefs Initiative. He explained his position on this in a recent post on Coral-List under the thread "Return from the Maldives".

Regards,
Steve Mussman

Sent from my iPad

This initiative seems to be more of the usual academic grasping at straws and telling people what they want to hear in the hope that money will follow.

It obviously works for some; similar efforts are funded directly by coral killers who destroyed reefs with their mega yachts, smeared the rubble with concrete, and declared them “restored”!

We have known for nearly 30 years that duration and intensity of temperature anomalies alone predicts bleaching, and water quality, management, and fables about resilience make no real difference.

The americans and australians wasted decades confuscating causes and blocking action to prevent global warming-caused coral mortality, especially for islanders who live from their reefs.

Only methods that greatly accelerate coral settlement, growth, survival, and resistance to high temperatures can make a difference in the short and intermediate term.

Biorock is the only method that does so, by directly stimulating natural energy generating mechanisms of all organisms: http://file.scirp.org/pdf/NR_2014073118345172.pdf

Only increased carbon sinks in soils can stabilize CO2 at safe levels in time to prevent coral reef ecosystem extinction in the long term.

Regenerative Development to Reverse Climate Change is our only hope to do so:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9dbyU___LA

Thomas J. F. Goreau, PhD
President, Global Coral Reef Alliance
President, Biorock Technology Inc.
Coordinator, Soil Carbon Alliance
Coordinator, United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development Small Island Developing States Partnership in New Sustainable Technologies
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge, MA 02139

Books:

Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase

Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration

The Green Disc, New Technologies for a New Future: Innovative Methods for Sustainable Development

No one can change the past, everyone can change the future

When lies trump truth, the dark ages begin

.

__,_._,___

Seth Itzkan

Mar 30, 2017, 10:20:27 AM3/30/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com, Steve Mussman, coralreef-...@yahoogroups.com
Thank you, Thomas, for your profound commitment to this issue and your clarity of narrative around it.

In summary:

1. We need biorock technology to quickly stimulate choral re-growth
2. We need to capture excess carbon in soils (in addition to drastic cuts in emissions) in order to prevent further warming and atmospheric CO2 back to re-industrial levels.
3. The Commonwealth initiative "Regenerative Development to Reverse Climate Change" is a model policy initiative to advance necessary projects.

- Seth

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

Denise Ward

Mar 30, 2017, 12:17:53 PM3/30/17
to Soil Age
Seth, with respect, that's not going to work. Anything we do to affect the current political system is not going to work. It is the problem not the solution. We have to go back to the drawing board. What WILL work?  I know trying to talk to the current puppets will not. It should be pretty obvious. All evidence shows this. But what else can we do? We must explore...

Fluoride is Industrial Toxic Waste: