Act by Jan. 10! Support Strategies to Help Feed the World and Cool the Planet!

Alexis Baden-Mayer

Jan 4, 2017, 8:48:08 PM1/4/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com

Anyone here on the Soil-Age list submitting comments in support of the 'Federal Strategic Plan for Soil Science'? The deadline is Jan. 10.

I'd like to share an alert that we sent out to our members and invite you all to participate:

You know that switching to organic and pasture-based agriculture is what we need to do to feed the world and cool the planet—because healthy soil can both provide abundant food, and also draw down and sequester carbon.

But do our federal policymakers know this? And if so, are they doing anything about it?

As it turns out, at least some of them have heard the message. Our job is to push them to act.

Here are two ways you can help:

Action #1: Deadline Jan. 10: Support the 'Federal Strategic Plan for Soil Science'

Action #2: Invite Your Congresspersons to the 'Soil Is the Solution' Briefing

The National Science and Technology Council’s Soil Science Interagency Working Group just released “The State and Future of U.S. Soils: A Framework for a Federal Strategic Plan for Soil Science.” This breakthrough document that officially recognizes that:

Soil is essential to human life. Not only is it vital for providing most of the world’s food, it plays a critical role in ensuring water quality and availability; supports a vast array of non-food products and benefits, including mitigation of climate change; and affects biodiversity important for ecological resilience. These roles make soil essential to modern life.

Thus, it is imperative that everyone—city dwellers, farmers and ranchers, land owners, and rural citizens alike—take responsibility for caring for and investing in our soils.

TAKE ACTION by Jan. 10: State your support for the 'Federal Strategic Plan for Soil Science'

Alexis Baden-Mayer, Esq.
Political Director
Organic Consumers Association
202-744-0853

Denise Ward

Jan 4, 2017, 9:23:37 PM1/4/17
to Soil Age
If policy makers don't know what sequesters carbon, they have no right to be making policy. Seems we keep supplicating and supplicating, and for what - curumbas! Give it up - let's talk about starting something new for ourselves? I'm ready to talk about this and am wanting to start giving seeds or seedlings or plants of cannabis to friends and family. Don't have a fit - both types of cannabis are to the plant world, what humans are to the earth -  way ahead in terms of advancement compared to other plant species. And yet the people you want to supplicate are prohibiting it (mind you the US government has the patent on cannabinoids - talk about blatant hypocrisy that they're never called on)  I don't know how many years I've been supplicating government for but I know it's going to get us nowhere. I'm truly ready for a renewable energy present and future and to start talking strategies about what we are going to do as individuals at least. And there is plenty we could be doing - how many of you fly for pleasure? Drive an SUV? Most people are so wasteful still and I just got back from the supermarket and the amount of packaging just hasn't abated at all. I'm horrified. We environmentalists haven't even made a whimper.  We need to educate people about how to save polluting energy, (let's even change the name from fossil fuels to something that isn't euphemistic?) Most "liberals" are doing nothing that a Republican wouldn't do so how is that believing in man-made climate change? If we are to convince the right, then we should at least be living as though we believe it. Of course there's nothing wrong in joining groups but the interminable workshops my god! Meanwhile CO2 rises and rises. And still the general public has NO clue about the waste they put into the waste stream and almost nothing has been done to look like we're serious about climate catastrophe. Why wait for legislation? Why not start now living as low a footprint as possible and working on systems to incentivize that. Why is it still alright to rape and pillage the earth and we have to fight to let our "representatives" know about carbon sequestration?  We should be castrating anyone who doesn't know (only kidding)

Maybe some of you would be interested in forming another group attached to this one, a group that talks about other strategies besides the same old same old fossilized strategies?  If so, shall we get on with it?  Maybe we could start a chain reaction.

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

The Cult of Ultimate Evil - Order Followers: