Cows Are Not Cars

Seth Itzkan

Jan 4, 2017, 9:11:53 PM1/4/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
What it boils down to is this: Cows Are Not Cars. Regulating them and their "emissions" in the language of the auto industry is mind numbing and offensive. We need new language. Cows are megafauna essential to landscape function. They need to be managed and assessed in regards to whole-system impacts, including the health of the soils and the soil's behavior as carbon and methane sources and sinks. Instead of regulating animals and industries, we need to regulate landscapes. Landscapes need to be carbon sinks. If cows can help achieve that (and of course they can) then we need much more of them. Cows make soil. Cars never will, not even Teslas.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/permalink/1858854851052927/

In California's Methane-Reduction Crosshairs, Dairy Industry Faces Regulation for the First Time

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/24102016/methane-gas-global-warming-climate-change-california-dairy-industry-regulation-first-time-jerry-brown

Agriculture Eyed as Culprit in Global Methane Emissions Spike

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/14122016/agriculture-methane-emissions-climate-change