Bill McKibben talking Food & Climate in NYC October 9

Alexis Baden-Mayer

Sep 13, 2017, 2:53:00 PM9/13/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com

https://www.mailman.columbia.edu/public-health-now/events/seminars-conferences/food-public-health-and-social-justice

Anyone else planning on going?

Alexis Baden-Mayer, Esq.
Political Director
Organic Consumers Association
202-744-0853

Denise Ward

Sep 13, 2017, 3:08:20 PM9/13/17
to Soil Age
Bill McKibben needs to broadcast his carbon footprint. That's what all "environmentalists" should be doing. That's really all that matters - our carbon footprint. So why doesn't Bill McKibbin stand for using hemp or something, anything, that will get us engaged and united behind something WE decide and something we can do - RIGHT NOW? He is at the forefront, so is Naomi Klein, their voice carries far, but they suggest nothing (nothing substantial) It should be something we all know about such as reducing our carbon footprint, or getting off fossil fuels. How about some real, doable, substantial steps coming out of their mouth, on how to get off fossil fuels and what we can do in the interim? I have listed the things we could do that would be doable now and we should build on them, not just sit happily because we recycle for example. If you do that, then step it up once that becomes natural so that we can head in the right direction at least. If you recycle things now, try not buying them at all, try buying something that doesn't have any packaging or that has packaging that you can put in the garden for recycling yourself.  This is just one simple example. There are scores more.

What should we aim for ultimately? We need to discuss this. But for the last 30 years, environmentalists have been talking out of their ass. Sorry if I offend, it's just that as this goes on it offends me more than you could know. Why? Because we could have done a whole lot about our situation by now if political worshipers realized there is no point - NO POINT (did you get that?) in seeking solutions from government. Why? Because government caused this mess and they will never reform. How much proof do you need for Christ's sake?  Why do we have to plead for caring for the planet's resources to government? The system has caused this rampaging of earth. It belongs to everyone and we environmentalists should have been shouting from the rafters long ago. It's like being on a plane ready for a crash landing and nobody is putting on their seat belts because the stewards sound like NPR talk hosts, like this is some kind of a soiree. We have to show urgency not wait for another COP21 or another workshop or another conference. And why are we not counting the footprints of our gatherings?

Namaste.

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

Meg Muckenhoupt

Sep 13, 2017, 4:18:57 PM9/13/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 3:08 PM, Denise Ward <denis...@gmail.com> wrote:
Bill McKibben needs to broadcast his carbon footprint. That's what all "environmentalists" should be doing.

What environmentalists should be doing is working to correct the blatantly partisan redistricting that's been going on for the last two decades so that people can elect their representatives fairly.

Individual virtue isn't going to save us. It never has.

 What should we aim for ultimately? We need to discuss this. But for the last 30 years, environmentalists have been talking out of their ass. Sorry if I offend, it's just that as this goes on it offends me more than you could know. Why? Because we could have done a whole lot about our situation by now if political worshipers realized there is no point - NO POINT (did you get that?) in seeking solutions from government. Why? Because government caused this mess and they will never reform.

The government has undertaken many reforms in the past; the New Deal, the Voting Rights Act, the Clean Air Act. The Clean Air Act alone has prevented an estimated 205,000 deaths from air pollution.

The oligarchy *wants* you to believe that government reform is hopeless, so you won't try. That's how they retain power.

Are you going to accept that?

Meg Muckenhoupt