The Soul of Soil is Community

David Yarrow

Sep 12, 2016, 4:54:48 AM9/12/16
to Soils, NE PC Listserv, permaculture list
The Soul of Soil is Community
a day of soil regeneration with David Yarrow
9am to 9pm, Saturday, Sept. 17
New Harmony Farm, 186 High St, Newbury, MA

In the Circle of Life on Earth, soil is the beginning and the end.

Today, this Circle is broken, and one consequence is a plague of degenerative diseases.  Our cure isn’t pills or potions, but the regeneration of soil.  Essential ingredients of living soils are carbon, nitrogen, minerals & microbes.  Carbon-Smart Farming provides a simple recipe to create fully fertile soil to grow nutrient-dense food and show us what true abundance looks and tastes like.

We will learn & practice how to regenerate soil to grow Nutrient-Dense, High-Brix Foods by balanced elements, added biocarbon and inoculation by a full diversity of microbes.  Like baking bread, soil building requires the right ingredients in proportioned amounts, combined & applied by proper procedure.

MINERALS: Soil begins  as rock.  Primary elements from rocks are The Mineral Foundation for biology.  Complete minerals, properly balanced, sets soil pH (acid/alkali balance = voltage) to optimize plant growth and fire up immunity to make disease and pests irrelevant.  We will learn how to boost and balance the seven major minerals and complete the trace elements.

BIOCHAR: We will use fire to make biochar, a special form of super-stable carbon that increases storage and cycling of water, nutrients, electric charge, bacteria, fungi & earthworms.  Fresh-made biochar is bone-dry and sterile, so we will prepare biochar for soil with the 4 M’s:  Micronize, Moisten, Mineralize & Microbe inoculation.

COMPOST:  Soil is a digestive organ to feed bioactive compost to breakdown organic matter into nutrients, and also deliver minerals & microbes.  We will learn how to make Premium Quality Compost able to inoculate soils and deliver steady supplies of natural organic nutrients.

ORGANIC MATTER: Soils need shade & sugars from mulches & cover crops to provide a cool, moist environment to conserve moisture, shelter microbes & nurture roots.  Living soil covers provide a Green Carbon Pathway to assure sugars, amino acids & other bionutrients to sustain soil microbes and plant growth.

MICROBES: Our ultimate goal is to nurture & culture thriving, living Communities of Micro-organisms in soil.  Microbes are “cheap labor” to maintain stable pH, build soil pore structure, digest rock minerals, cycle nutrients, and assure vigorous, healthy plant growth.

WATER:  First & final ingredient is water, whose gift to life is to flow and move. and form electrolytes with minerals.  Water not only delivers chemistry to microbes, seeds & plants, but also Structured Subtle Energy to activate minerals, organize molecules & biology.

DRUM CIRCLE:  After dinner, a Drum Circle will synchronize us together to the heart of Earth and beat of the land.

FIRE CEREMONY:  As darkness descends, we will gather for a Fire Ceremony of Purification & Renewal, a simple seasonal ritual, and to burn a batch of biochar to regenerate New Harmony soils.

SoulofSoil_500.jpg

Thomas Goreau

Sep 12, 2016, 9:39:54 AM9/12/16
to soil...@googlegroups.com
I strongly urge participation in this workshop if possible.

David Yarrow is the master of blending rock powder, biochar, compost, and beneficial micro-organisms to restore soils.

New Harmony Farm is the site where we did the original rock powder and biochar combination experiments.

Three days ago we harvested and weighed the fruits, shoots, and roots of another similar rock powder experiment at Las Raices, a Puerto Rican community supported agriculture farm at Holyoke, MA.

Thomas J. F. Goreau, PhD
President, Global Coral Reef Alliance
President, Biorock Technology Inc.
Coordinator, Soil Carbon Alliance
Coordinator, United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development Small Island Developing States Partnership in New Sustainable Technologies
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge, MA 02139

Books:

Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase

Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration

The Green Disc, New Technologies for a New Future: Innovative Methods for Sustainable Development

No one can change the past, everyone can change the future

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

David Yarrow

Sep 12, 2016, 10:51:12 AM9/12/16
to Soils
thanks thomas.
i do what i can as i understand these strategies.
fortunately, they work very well without a lot of fuss.
wish i had the time, ability & mindset to do serious science,
but i'm strictly a show 'n tell operation.
david

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/soil-age.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/soil-age/CAB5EiYCzopuhk5p6r3B2e_Dp58uxbKGRtQUaehcVgCHOkrH4jg%40mail.gmail.com.
<SoulofSoil_500.jpg>

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

Barry Carter

Sep 12, 2016, 12:56:58 PM9/12/16
to soil...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,

Check this out:

Our best shot at cooling the planet might be right under our feet
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2016/sep/10/soil-our-best-shot-at-cooling-the-planet-might-be-right-under-our-feet
--

With kindest regards,

Barry Carter
<bca...@igc.org>
2319 Balm
Baker City, Oregon 97814
Phone: 541-523-3357
Web Pages:
ORMUS - http://www.subtleenergies.com/ormus/index.htm
Forest - http://www.subtleenergies.com/ormus/bmnfa/index.htm
Donate - http://www.subtleenergies.com/ormus/donate.htm

"What you think upon grows. Whatever you allow to occupy your mind
you magnify in your life. Whether the subject of your thought be good
or bad, the law works and the condition grows. Any subject that you
keep out of your mind tends to diminish in your life, because what
you do not use atrophies. The more you think of grievances, the more
such trials you will continue to receive; the more you think of the
good fortune you have had, the more good fortune will come to you."
--Emmet Fox from Make Your Life Worthwhile, 1942

Monika Firl

Sep 12, 2016, 3:14:19 PM9/12/16
to soil...@googlegroups.com
hello David!

I just went on the New Harmony website and don't see your workshop listed... is it still possible to register?? And if so, can you point me towards the details -- costs, any prior experience needed... and if there is camping or any sort of alternative housing in the area??

thanks much!!
Monika

Monika Maria Firl, Director of Sustainability
CoopCoffees/ CoopSol Cafe Equitable
5425 rue Bordeaux suite #500
Montréal, QC H2H 2P9 Canada
Phone: 1.514.907.9853 ext.502
Skype: mmf1237585

mon...@coopcoffees.com
www.coopcoffees.coop

David Yarrow

Sep 12, 2016, 3:34:19 PM9/12/16
to Soils
no, it's not on the website.
i only landed here friday after insanity getting into & out of boston at rush hour,
and an all night flight from portland OR (and my luggage got left in WA).
i just polished the description and made the graphic last night.
mostly this is an in-house training for the farm folk here at new harmony,
but the "public" is quite welcome.

there is no $ charge as yet.
i accept donations according to each person's gratitude & cash.

not sure about housing, but there is camping, if you don't mind dragons.
some folk here are living in mini-houses on wheels.

to see some of my Carbon-Smart Farming stuff, you can look at:

for what it's worth, i was asked to teach two 2-hour special classes on "using biochar in soil"
at the start of the US Biochar conference in corvallis OR two weeks ago,
and folks were very grateful & happy to understand things so clearly.
at the conference end, the coordinator introduced me on the Marketing panel as:
"the guru of biochar"
i wrote tom a few days ago to suggest i prefer to be called
"the wizard of biochar & water angel"
i'm celtic, not indian.

for a green & peaceful planet,
david yarrow

joanna campe

Sep 12, 2016, 3:56:00 PM9/12/16
to soil Age
Hi David,

I am posting the Workshop in the  Event section of our website. Please keep me up-to-date for future  events and we will post them.

Best,

Joanna

Joanna Campe
Executive Director
Remineralize the Earth
152 South Street
Northampton, MA 01060 USA

Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase

Monika Firl

Sep 12, 2016, 4:06:23 PM9/12/16
to soil...@googlegroups.com
Wow -- what a travel adventure!

This course sounds amazing.  I could definitely come prepared to camp.... and will just have to see about borrowing or renting a car to come down from Montreal. And.. since I have an adolescent daughter --- "wizard" and "water angel" are definitely in my lexicon! ;-)

Just checking in on a couple of logistical details and will confirm soon!

best wishes,
Monika

David Yarrow

Sep 12, 2016, 11:08:44 PM9/12/16
to soil...@googlegroups.com
I'll do my best. I'm living out of a suitcase on the road. In fact, my luggage was left in WA when I fly overnight Portland to Boston. Next week west to Saratoga apple in north Hudson. Then west to international new warrior elders in finger lakes. Then Ithaca. Then Topeka KS 3rd weekend of Oct.

~from David Yarrow's cell: 573-818-4148

Sep 12, 2016, 11:19:24 PM9/12/16
to soil...@googlegroups.com
No problem camping. There are "monk's quarters" in the back of the farmhouse.  I will discuss with farm manager Erin your participation.

If i survive saturday, Sunday we will flip hemispheres and study ley lines & the dragon path the crosses temple rock at the south edge of the farm. I'm a master dowser of 4 decades, and I'm growing in belief the farm sits on a "sweet spot." And maybe a precolumbian earth & stone temple.

Monday we take a field trip to Dan Kittredge's nutrient-dense farm practicing biological methods 7 years.

~from David Yarrow's cell: 573-818-4148

Sep 16, 2016, 11:36:14 AM9/16/16
to soil...@googlegroups.com
thanks David!

Really looking forward to this -- i should be rolling in by 8:30am-ish tomorrow morning and would definitely be grateful for the Monks quarters Saturday evening.

I didn't realize this was a multi-day opportunity -- and unfortunately will need to head back Sunday!

best wishes and see you and everyone soon! :-D
Monika