"SOIL AS A CLIMATE SOLUTION: RESEARCH, POLICY AND ACTIVISM."

Seth Itzkan

Jan 10, 2017, 6:47:34 PM1/10/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com

"SOIL AS A CLIMATE SOLUTION: RESEARCH, POLICY AND ACTIVISM."

Hi Friends,
Soil4Climate is happy to participate in the "21st Annual Vermont Grazing & Livestock Conference." I will present in a joint session with Jesse McDougall of Studio Hill Farm, titled "SOIL AS A CLIMATE SOLUTION: RESEARCH, POLICY AND ACTIVISM."
Our session is January 21, 3-4:15 pm. Please come if you can and let folks in the Vermont area know about it. Thanks! Kudos to Jenn Colby for organizing.
#Vermont #Soil #Climate #Grazing

http://regenerationinternational.org/events/feed-world-cool-planet-soil-solution/

SOIL AS A CLIMATE SOLUTION: RESEARCH, POLICY AND ACTIVISM.

This session will consider soil as a climate solution, focusing on research, policy and activism. Seth Itzkan, who is co-founder of Soil4Climate, has just returned from the international climate conference in Marrakesh (COP22) and will discuss the latest science and review initiatives on soil and climate from France and the Commonwealth of Nations. Jesse McDougall of Studio Hill Farms in Shaftsbury, Vermont, will discuss his efforts in crafting the Vermont Regenerative Agriculture Certification Bill that will be reintroduced into the Vermont Senate this term.

Christina Allday-Bondy

Jan 10, 2017, 8:20:02 PM1/10/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
Seth,

Please do share your draft legislation! I am actively looking for state level initiatives that support soil health.

If anyone else has examples I would appreciate hearing from you.

Christina

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

Maggie Zaback

Jan 18, 2017, 2:31:02 PM1/18/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
I am also interested in state and even more local-level initiatives that may work in Montana that anyone can share.

We have done research on this topic internally, and have only found Vermont, California, and Oklahoma have any language to incentivize soil-health, and a few communities including Fort Collins that have included it in a local Climate Action Plan. Any work being done on a Conservation District or County level is where we are currently focusing, so I would love to hear from anyone with some experience or ideas on that level!

Thanks,

Maggie Zaback | Lead Organizer
Northern Plains Resource Council
220 S. 27th Street, Suite A | Billings, MT 59101
maggie@northernplains.org | 406-248-1154
www.northernplains.org

* Please note that I am only in the office on Mondays and Fridays, and available by cell phone (307-421-7411) on Wednesdays.

Northern Plains Resource Council is a grassroots conservation and family agriculture group. We organize Montana citizens to protect our water quality, family farms and ranches, and unique quality of life. Check out our latest blog post!

Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

Seth Itzkan

Jan 18, 2017, 3:51:03 PM1/18/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your interest Maggie.

Yes, I agree, only a few states thus far, but more are on the way. Stay tuned for news from Vermont. A major new bill is about to be introduced (as soon as tomorrow - Thursday). I believe this will be a benchmark for other states and will propel the discussion nationally. Soil4Climate is planning to do a press release on it. I don't want to say more until it is formally introduced and is publicly available, but I've seen the draft and it's inspiring.

- s

Christina Allday-Bondy

Jan 18, 2017, 4:06:00 PM1/18/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
Exciting news, Seth. Looking forward to seeing the legislation.

Christina

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/soil-age.

Dan Bensonoff

Jan 18, 2017, 5:12:06 PM1/18/17
to Soil Age
Hi Maggie,

I can't speak in detail on this, but I know that some county conservation districts around the northeast (especially NH) have been buying and renting out certain tools and implements that are essential for certain carbon-farming practices. Easy and affordable access to Implements like a seed drill, roller/crimper, compost spreader, etc. coupled with some education can often be enough to persuade a farmer to try a no-till or low-till approach.

Best,
Dan

Denise Ward

Jan 18, 2017, 6:54:03 PM1/18/17
to Soil Age
I am starting a large-ish food garden in the spring and have been challenged on tilling. Cardboard has inks in it so that's out for use as a layer on top of the soil. I'd love to suggest another way for no tilling the oil, just that these gardeners are used to tilling. Any references or suggestions?

The Cult of Ultimate Evil - Order Followers:

Dan Bensonoff

Jan 18, 2017, 8:30:48 PM1/18/17
to Soil Age
Hi Denise,

What is your concern about cardboard ink? I've prepared many a sheet mulched beds with cardboard and have never heard any concerns about ink toxicity (except for on glossy paper, which we don't use).

As an alternative, you can consider simply adding a layer of compost along with some soil amendments/fertilizers for a no-till bed, but if the ground is compacted, I'd definitely recommend first tilling or broadforking at least for the 1st year for increased soil tilth and to kick-start the biology.

David Yarrow

Jan 18, 2017, 9:01:51 PM1/18/17
to Soils
check out the slide show to learn how to create a no-till, super-fertile, carbon-smart, bio-active growing bed.  it's a 5mb file.  hope it makes it thru the filters.
~dy

_LasagnaBed-DRobinson.ppsx

Sally Dodge

Jan 18, 2017, 9:27:41 PM1/18/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
And tomorrow night Jesse and I will be presenting at the One World Center, in Bennington, Vermont, on “Our Farms Help Save the Planet: Healing Ecosystems with Food Production, Soil Regeneration and Carbon Replacement”. 7;00 PM!

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

Jane Hammer

Jan 18, 2017, 10:26:29 PM1/18/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
Wow...that is great to hear about Vermont, Seth.  I'm wondering if it will be viewable tomorrow?  Please share any links you have, too, Cristina and Maggie.  Our regional planning council dep. director (Met. Area Planning Council) is speaking tomorrow evening here in my town about the Boston area climate change adaptation and mitigation plan.  So far in my reading I see they include a chart where green infrastructure helps mitigate stormwater management costs, but mainly for new developments; some planning for how to migrate existing development away from coastlines and movement of wetland boundaries inland (which is also carbon sinking, of course.) No mention of soil improvement on farmlands or existing home and building landscapes, so far as i've read. We do have state and local level support for regenerating natural streamflow and stream corridors (and eliminating culverts and dams), and state level funding for sustainable ag in general through UMass and a revived UMass facility intended specifically as a center for sustainable agriculture. No specific incentives for soil building as far as I've seen, though.

Denise Ward

Jan 18, 2017, 11:49:18 PM1/18/17
to Soil Age
Thanks for responding Dan.

So just plant the seeds in soil amendments and compost that are both laid ontop of weeds hey? I have saved up some cardboard and gotten rid of the ones with lots of colored ink. I'll try and get away with the black ink. I'm dealing with people who have done it a certain way since forever. But I'm glad they're prepared to grow hemp also!

Virginia Richter

Jan 20, 2017, 7:06:15 AM1/20/17
to soil-age
Hi,
There are some very interesting videos using wood chips. I’ve tried it and been amazed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCtafUgoCX0
there are other videos to watch too.
Tilling only kills the soil life and creates hardpan at the level below the tilling.
Changing peoples’ minds is the challenge but the videos are quite convincing.

Virginia Richter, MD
Soil Activist
Chapel Hill, NC
202-510-0757

Nan Hildreth

Jan 21, 2017, 6:07:14 AM1/21/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
Bravo, Seth for your talk.

Thanks, Virginia for being a soil activist.   Paradigm shift is made up of learning and teaching.   Things getting worse adds inspiration to the movement.    I love the little charts about all that in the book Cultural Creatives.

I am a tiny organic grower and the money side of it is tough.  The organic movement here is fueled by people seeking health through poison-free food from soils rich in organic matter.  Virginia, as an MD, do you have great opportunities to tell folks to let best quality food be their medicine?   You might blaze the trail for your patients by going to the three farmer's markets in Chapel Hill.  Yes, food there is expensive, but the money goes to mulching etc.

Nan Hildreth, Houston 713-504-9901
--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

Nan Hildreth

Jan 21, 2017, 6:22:27 AM1/21/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com

One possible local government action:  Houston City Trash recycles yard waste.  Leaves must be in compostable bags placed next to your can.  If in plastic bags, they are not picked up but tagged.   For monthly heavy trash pickup, they ask folks to only put out tree waste on every other month so it can be composted too.

Nan Hildreth, Houston

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/soil-age.