Good biochar and bad biochar

Thomas Goreau

Jan 2, 2017, 12:13:37 PM1/2/17
to Soil Age
This great article below by Hans Peter Schmidt explains clearly the importance of maturing biochar, and has this wonderful figure showing the effects of increasing raw biochar on top inhibiting growth, and of mature biochar below in increasing it:

PastedGraphic-2.pdf
wormsbiocharcompost.pdf

pcphipps

Jan 2, 2017, 12:59:33 PM1/2/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tom -

I don't see the link here.

Best, Paula
>Thomas J. F. Goreau, PhD
>President, Global Coral Reef Alliance
>President, Biorock Technology Inc.
>Coordinator, Soil Carbon Alliance
>Coordinator, United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development Small Island Developing States Partnership in New Sustainable Technologies
>37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
>gor...@bestweb.net
>www.globalcoral.org
>Skype: tomgoreau
>Tel: (1) 617-864-4226
>
>Books:
>
>Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase
>http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466595392 <http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466595392>
>
>Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration
>http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466557734 <http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466557734>
>
>The Green Disc, New Technologies for a New Future: Innovative Methods for Sustainable Development
>http://www.greenthindisc.org <http://www.greenthindisc.org/>
>
>No one can change the past, everyone can change the future
>
>--
>Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
>---

Thomas Goreau

Thomas Goreau

Jan 2, 2017, 4:06:13 PM1/2/17
to Soil Age, Jon Nilsson
Jon Nilsson, a leader in developing microbial and fungal innoculum starter cultures to mature biochar for agricultural use, tells me that about half of the farmers trying it are using the raw biochar, and getting negative results, as seen in the top row, apparently because they are NOT being taught to do it correctly with mature biochar, as seen in the bottom row.

PastedGraphic-2.pdf