Fw: Join the Climate Contingent around the inauguration

ale...@organicconsumers.org

Jan 14, 2017, 12:21:56 PM1/14/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.
Jan 14, 2017, 5:26:19 PM1/14/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
I think it's counterproductive and polarizing, etc to say "fight Trump".

We risk losing Trump supporters and credibility with such a bias.  I think it sets a tone antithetical to what's trying to be accomplished.  Besides, there's an entire government and populace, across the world, that needs to be influenced, not just Trump.

Maybe say something more neutral like "help influence Trump and other world leaders", etc

Best luck
--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

bast...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2017, 5:13:07 PM1/18/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
    I agree and likely speak for many Ag practitioners and growers. They voted for Misters Trump and Pence because too many of the values expressed by hard work and individualism went against what the Obama administration members were trying to put in place. That includes me and every Ag person I know. The best way to approach this goal is to seek better soil stewardship and food security by teaching and educating the populace how using cover crops, making wiser choices with production practices and inputs, and seeking to rebuilt organic matter and soil biology. Those steps will boost our nations food security and long term sustainability. We are all in this together. There are voices in Trump’s administration that see this and such steps are in their long term strategy. Food security is an item they can visualize and discuss. Make sure you have proper participation within the groups that are involved in these discussions. Sincerely    Bob Streit

helen snively

Jan 18, 2017, 5:17:10 PM1/18/17
to soil-age
Thanks, jon,i agree we must constantly look for ways to bring people together. What a great opportunity to start doing it this weekend

Helen

Jane Hammer

Jan 18, 2017, 6:58:17 PM1/18/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
Bob, could you be more specific about a couple things in your message that I have put in quotes below?  I am sincerely wanting to learn and understand, not trying to start an unproductive argument or anything.  I just don't see much coming from Trump or his proposed administration that speaks to soil building, revival of hard-working rural economies, and increasing funds/resources toward educating and supporting regenerative, biodiverse land management.

"too many of the values expressed by hard work and individualism went against what the Obama administration members were trying to put in place. "

and, importantly and looking forward:
"There are voices in Trump’s administration that see this and such steps are in their long term strategy. Food security is an item they can visualize and discuss."
who are these people?  Where, whom, and what have they said this about their long term strategy?

Thanks,
Jane

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 11:33 AM, <bast...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

David Yarrow

Jan 18, 2017, 8:57:35 PM1/18/17
to Soils
hey bob,

i appreciate your attempt to be upbeat and hopeful about the intentions of the trump administration toward our agriculture and food supply, security -- and maybe even sovereignty?  but the last trump cabinet post that still remains unfilled is secretary of agriculture.  not only not a hopeful sign of a possibly enlightened approach to food, farming, fertilizers, etc., the prior suggestions for USDA secretary were atrocious.  the first offer was a texas rancher who publicly called hillary a c--t.

so, rather than wish and hope and pray the new administration doesn't act like the pack of self-serving predators they have been shown to be, i assume they are who they appear to be, and they now control the levers of power, money & policy.  i see no alternative but to prepare for a fierce 4-year fight for the core values and programs essential to a stewardship and sharing of the earth.

i am a peaceful man pursuing creative service.  i don't argue or fight except for fun.  or if faced with no alternative to prevent harm.  i'm already saving up my bail money to help stop a pipeline in north dakota.

david

...voices in Trump’s administration that see this and such steps are in their long term strategy. Food security is an item they can visualize and discuss..... Sincerely    Bob Streit