Reforestation and women's education

Thomas Goreau

Oct 10, 2017, 8:29:19 PM10/10/17
to Soil Age, John Liu, Ronnie Cummins, Rachel Kastner, Tom Newmark, Larry Kopald, Albert Bates
Thomas Sankara, as President of Burkina Faso from 1983-1987, ordered planting of more than ten million trees to prevent the spread of the Sahel, and insisted that all girls must be educated.

For this, and for eliminating power of hereditary rulers, he was gunned down by groups who remain in power:

In Burkina Faso now only 1% of girls complete secondary school:

I can’t find out anything about what happened to the ten million trees he had planted. Are they feeding the people and holding back the desert, or were they cut down and sold for lumber, or burned into charcoal?

People who know Burkina Faso tell me that although Thomas Sankara, and his programs, simply cannot be discussed in public, the people still revere him.

Thomas J. F. Goreau, PhD
President, Global Coral Reef Alliance
President, Biorock Technology Inc.
Coordinator, Soil Carbon Alliance
Coordinator, United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development Small Island Developing States Partnership in New Sustainable Technologies
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge, MA 02139

Books:

Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase

Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration

The Green Disc, New Technologies for a New Future: Innovative Methods for Sustainable Development

No one can change the past, everyone can change the future

When lies trump truth, the dark ages begin

Thomas Goreau

Denise Ward

Oct 15, 2017, 4:06:26 PM10/15/17
to Soil Age
Yes it's me again. If you want to see how we can truly make a total difference to this world, take about half an hour to read a new constitution written by women (women didn't even rate a mention in the last one, let alone partake in it)

If you like it spread it around. If you don't, let's talk about improvements.

On facebook - sorry - can't afford a website!

And on Minds.com

Cheers!

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

Please every person who receives my email, take the time to watch this video (you will thank me I promise you) and spread it around to help others:

InPower Movement:

Robert Fairchild

Oct 17, 2017, 8:42:00 AM10/17/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com, John Liu, Ronnie Cummins, Rachel Kastner, Tom Newmark, Larry Kopald, Albert Bates
"More than 10m trees were planted in the first year of the programme. Since then, tree planting has become a way of life in Burkina Faso."
http://newafricanmagazine.com/thomas-sankara-a-leader-before-his-time/

"
Sankara was a Marxist, anti-imperialist revolutionary who, in four years in power, doubled the number of children in schools, reduced infant mortality, redistributed land from feudal landlords to peasants and planted 10 million trees that still help shade Ouagadougou, the capital."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/25/burkina-faso-exhume-grave-revolutionary-leader-thomas-sankara-colleagues

Like elsewhere in the Sahel, Burkina Faso has lots of projects using assisted natural regeneration. One is New Tree, a Swiss project, home page translated from German:

"Assisted Natural Regeneration with Fencing in the Central and Northern Zones of Burkina Faso"
www.tropicultura.org/text/v35n2/73.pdf

Bob