Exploring Climate-Smart Land Management for Atlantic Europe

Karl Thidemann

Apr 16, 2017, 12:58:39 PM4/16/17
to Soil Age

Exploring Climate-Smart Land Management for Atlantic Europe

Rogier P. O. Schulte,* Lilian O’Sullivan, Cait Coyle, Niall Farrelly, Carsten Gutzler, Gary Lanigan, Gemma Torres-Sallan, and Rachel E. Creamer

Abstract: Soils can be a sink or source of carbon, and managing soil carbon has significant potential to partially offset agricultural greenhouse gas emissions. While European Union (EU) member states have not been permitted to account for this offsetting potential in their efforts to meet the EU 2020 reduction targets, this policy is now changing for the period 2020 to 2030, creating a demand for land management plans aimed at maximizing the offsetting potential of land. In this letter, we derive a framework for climate-smart land management in the Atlantic climate zone of the EU by combining the results from five component research studies on various aspects of the carbon cycle. We show that the options for proactive management of soil organic carbon differ according to soil type and that a spatially tailored approach to land management will be more effective than blanket policies.

https://dl.sciencesocieties.org/publications/ael/pdfs/1/1/160029

Copyright © American Society of Agronomy, Crop Science Society of America, and Soil Science Society of America. 5585 Guilford Rd., Madison, WI 53711 USA.

This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the CC BY-NC-ND license (http://creativecom- mons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)

Agric. Environ. Lett. 1:160029 (2016) doi:10.2134/ael2016.07.0029

ael-1-1-160029.pdf

Seth Itzkan

Apr 17, 2017, 1:45:21 AM4/17/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
Excellent. Thanks Karl.
> --
> Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/soil-age/C7516F46-40F1-402F-BB35-5ADD69C521F9%40gmail.com.

Seth J. Itzkan

*[image: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/]
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/>*
soil4climate.org
facebook.com/groups/soil4climate
<http://www.facebook.com/groups/soil4climate>
twitter.com/soil4climate
instagram.com/soil4climate/

Oliver Gardiner

Apr 17, 2017, 12:51:49 PM4/17/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
Interesting, there's a lot of potential here.. thanks Karl!

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

Oliver S Gardiner
Global Facilitation for Ecological Land Use Development
Strategic Communications and Consultancy
London, UK