מעבר להודעה הראשונה שלא נקראה

Judith D. Schwartz

לא נקראה,
18 ביולי 2016, 14:59:4118.7.2016
עד soil...@googlegroups.com
Hi Soil-Agers. There's some talk about midwest cornfields (densely-planted monocultures) as a factor in a "heat dome" that''s plaguing the midwest. As in:

I'm confused because evapotranspiration is generally a cooling mechanism. Is there something about corn or how it's planted that operates differently? Why wouldn't other planting regimes affect the dew point in such a way?

Thanks for helping me make sense of this!

Judy

Judith D. Schwartz
Bennington, Vermont
(802) 447-2413
www.judithdschwartz.com
Author: Cows Save the Planet: And Other Improbable Ways of Restoring Soil to Heal the Earth (Chelsea Green Publishing, May 2013)
Forthcoming: Water In Plain Sight: Hope for a Thirsty World (St. Martin's Press, July 2016)

Walter Jehne

לא נקראה,
19 ביולי 2016, 0:15:5419.7.2016
עד soil...@googlegroups.com
Judith
While not on site actively transpiring green corn fields would normally transfer significant solar energy reaching the surface back up into the atmosphere thereby cooling those habitats. That is as long as they can access adequate soil water to sustain these latent heat fluxes.

As we degrade our soil 'sponges' and engineer corn plants with fewer roots (breeding has been canabalizing roots to enhance shoot weights for 100 years) that are dependent on fertilizers rather than mycorrhizal symbionts to access essential nutrients we are both reducing the quantity of water able to be stored in our soils and the plants ability to access what there is. Drought stressed plants and soils dont cool but instead absorb the incident solar energy to increase surface temperatures that re-radiate it back up as heat. Such heat can readily create local high pressure heat domes that prevent cool moist low pressure air and rain inflows thereby further accentuating the local aridification.

What we get is substantially up to us and how we manage and regenerate our soil carbon sponges and landscapes. Cheers
Walter