Re: [biochar] Re: The Human Gut & Rhizosphere,... ≥4% Char [1 Attachment]

Erich Knight

Jul 14, 2016, 2:03:20 AM7/14/16
to biochar, Soil Age, se-bi...@googlegroups.com
Agree on Odum, (didn't know of his brother, thanks).
 Also I highly recommend Vladimir Vernadsky's "The Biosphere", (1924)

Agree with Albert's branching,
but I like to characterize the alliances made when life crawled onto land.
Plants went with Fungi, (which were already here making Terra from rocks).
While we animal went with microbes, (even more so when homo sapiens incorporated them into their mitochondria some 200K years ago).

Agree with Joey;
I have been eating char for 3 years now, I usually get diarrhea once or twice a year, not once over the last 3.

Cheers,

Erich

Erich J. Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
  540-289-9750

Policy & Community Chairman
2013 North American Biochar Symposium
Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 6:56 PM, Stephen Joseph joey.s...@gmail.com [biochar] <bio...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from Stephen Joseph included below]

HI Guys

Interesting.  When you add biochar next to root hairs you lower the potential difference between the internal cells of the plant and the soil and thus the plants has to expend less energy to take up nutrients.

If people have a chance read Olivier Hussons article about how changes in both electron activity (Eh) and pH change microbial diversity.  I enclose reference to it in a paper we published

When I have an upset stomach I take charcoal pills.  Works all the time.  My guess is that there is a change in pH and Eh and a consequent change in gut microbiome.

My twopence worth

Regards
Stephen

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 8:30 AM, dgr...@ihug.co.nz [biochar] <bio...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from dgr...@ihug.co.nz included below]

Albert & Erich & others...

It's good to see that like minds think alike & speak alike... especially on this issue about gut & root micro-biomes ... / myco-biomes

  • However, on a similar ecological & philosophical 'connections', there is lots to be learned one of the 'founding brothers' of ecology, the late & great Professor Eugene Odum.
  • Eugene Odum is a sibling & truly equal of ecologist Howard Odum, both brothers wrote many textbooks on ecology & energy systems.
  • I recall one particular 'light-bulb moment' when reading Eugene Odum's references to root zone & soil aggregate "hot-spots" ... where root exudates boost carbon / energy & biological diversity in soils, ... that are otherwise are a relatively "cool-matrix", with rarely accessible or spare energy.
regards,
--
Don Graves
17 Wilkie Street

On 13/07/2016 04:57, Albert Bates alb...@thefarm.org [biochar] wrote:

Great stuff Erich!

I have been using that gut-root analogy in my public talks for a few
years, nice to hear it from others. In my version we made an
evolutionary choice about the time we separated on the DNA branching
diagram from fungi. They chose external digestion, excreting their
stomach acids to break down their foods outside their body, while we
developed an internal gastric tract that could shield our other tissues
from our digestive acids. Of course the symbionts that were already
present at that time either chose to come with us and co-evolve into gut
dwellers or go with the fungi and retain greater autonomy.

Sent from my iPhone

__._,_.___

Attachment(s) from Stephen Joseph | View attachments on the web

1 of 1 File(s)

Posted by: Stephen Joseph <joey.s...@gmail.com>

.

__,_._,___

Erich Knight

Jul 26, 2016, 5:48:54 AM7/26/16
to biochar, Soil Age, se-bi...@googlegroups.com
43,560 square feet per acre X 5 - 10 Worms per Sq' =
Earthworms weigh about 1980 lb per acre in sandy soils ,100,000 lb per acre in clay soils. 250,000 lb per acre in loam soils.

So say for loam soil in MO;

125 tons of Earth Moving, Biomass Fermenting & Inoculating, soil permeating, Infiltrating/Irrigating Bio-Heavy Machinery Per Acre,
next we need to add numerous other Macro critters, we can see & almost see, plus the fungi, microbe and plant Wee-Beasties..
David's Chr recipe may have doubled that to 250 tons of worms alone, nothing like growing your own infrastructure.
I want to see a total Bio-count.

USA Soil-C Farming

Down The Worm Hole;
http://www.terra-char.com/uploads/2/3/7/9/23790961/downthewormhole-tc.pdf
JR Bollinger‘s first year success with Carbon-Smart Biological Farming ,
by David Yarrow , April 2016

Cheers,

Erich

Erich J. Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
  540-289-9750

USBI 2016 Presentation;
"The Civilization of Soil",
Hall Marks of The Unintended & Intended Anthropocene

Policy & Community Chairman

2013 North American Biochar Symposium
Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

Posted by: Erich Knight <erichj...@gmail.com>

.