Thanks for the shifting Paradigm

Nan Hildreth

Aug 15, 2017, 12:35:23 AM8/15/17
to soil...@googlegroups.com
You have been doing it. Bravo! In the last eight years, there has
been a paradigm shift among climate protection activists. Now soil,
land use, composting, regenerative agriculture, and more are on their
radar.

Eight years ago, climate folks were stuck on energy. Proof? Al Gore's
2008 book on solutions, Our Choice, was energy, energy. Yes, it had
wimpy chapter on soil carbon sequestration, but that was stuck in at the
last minute.
http://www.grist.org/article/the-must-read-solutions-book-by-al-gore/

Here in Houston, since energy is our bread and butter, we've been REALLY
stuck. The Houston Chronicle environmental reporter told me that she
used to get death threats when she wrote a story on global warming. It
was a big deal when, a decade or so ago, our oily Mayor White said the
G word, "global warming". He said it when he joined other Texas mayors
in opposing new coal plants. Shift happens.

Now, Drawdown, that excellent new solutions vision, is as much about
soil, biosequestration, food production, and land use as it is about
energy production, energy efficiency and transporation methods. I added
it up. A third of the solutions in process are energy and a third land
use. And they say the land use changes could be bigger contributors to
drawing down atmospheric carbon than the energy stuff. 44% versus 35%
of the solution. http://www.drawdown.org/solutions-summary-by-rank

Who says climate activists are bonehead knowers that never learn
anything new? Who says you can't turn the Titanic?

Nan in Houston