Re: [biochar] Activating Biochar--Water modulation

Erich Knight

Jul 22, 2016, 1:09:07 AM7/22/16
to biochar, se-bi...@googlegroups.com, Soil Age
I think ya need to include aggregate soil structure to you calculation.
11.3 tons/acre of biochar, can increase Glomalins and a host of non fungal Wee-Beasties, NNP plant exhudates & litter, all this SOM contributes to crumb structure, WHC, percolation, infiltration, transpiration,  aerosol nucleation & rain, cloud albedo etc. etc.

The conditions to set off exponential growth of biologic systems, setting a new equilibrium, removing previous limits, good luck with an equation to model all that,

an analogy to Kurt Vonnegut, Life has triumphed over entropy for billions of years.

Cheers,

Erich

Erich J. Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
  540-289-9750

USBI 2016 Presentation;
"The Civilization of Soil",
Hall Marks of The Unintended & Intended Anthropocene

Policy & Community Chairman

2013 North American Biochar Symposium
Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 5:38 PM, 'Mark Elliott Ludlow' ma...@ludlow.com [biochar] <bio...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Please help me with some arithmetic!

Assume one-inch of water added to a cropland (natural or irrigation). That’s 6,272,591 (in2/acre) X 1-inch or 6,272,591 in3/acre; when divided by 1,728in3/ft3=3,630 ft3 of water/acre; which when multiplied by 62.3lbm/ft3=226,147 lbm-water/acre; which is equivalent to 113 tons-water/acre (all measurements Imperial).

The question: what mass (and corresponding volume) of Biochar would be required to buffer 113 tons of water in the vapor phase? Unless some laws of nature have been altered, liquid water will always be denser per mole than saturated vapor at temperatures and pressures common to commercial agriculture. At the limit, as surface area becomes larger, the mass of char must be diminished until it becomes ephemeral. Even then, the best we can hope to achieve is an amount of liquid water equal in volume to the grain of Biochar that it displaces.

When discussing the value of water to a specific biome, it’s common to discuss not %moisture but Aw, or “water activity”. If moisture is bound, then it is not available to microbial life-cycle processes. That jar of strawberry preserves is quasi-stable sitting on my counter top because its 65% sugar content binds its high moisture content and thus reduces its Wa. In general, water (or any other liquid) cannot pass freely from liquid to vapor and back again without an energy budget. Structured clays such as zeolite give-off heat as they are hydrated and require heat for desiccation, at constant pressure. I suspect that Biochar may operate similarly. Entropy (disorder) increases in the system. No free lunch.

Back to the question: Let’s assume that our char has a bulk density of 0.1 and that 1-pound would adsorb 10-lb of water, somehow(!) So, to buffer that 1-inch of water we need 113 tons X 0.1 = 11.3 tons/acre of biochar. I think that these assumptions are idealized, however.

Then again, maybe there’s an analogy to Kurt Vonnegut's Ice-nine or, the special properties claimed by the Dihydrogen Monoxide folks!

Mark