Re: [biochar] [geo] Book chapter: Geoengineering, or “What Could POSSIBLY Go Wrong?” Mann [1 Attachment]

Erich Knight

Sep 26, 2016, 11:46:46 PM9/26/16
to Ronal W. Larson, Rick Wilson, biochar, se-bi...@googlegroups.com, Soil Age
Char induces biology to increase NPP, afforestation induces biology to store more C, More NPP primes the hydrology cycle & climate cooling.
If Biomass is used for base electrical loads for wind & solar,  integrated into industry & Industrial Ag for growth & nutrient management, if done at scale that is Geo-Engineering.
Even More So than our current systems are Geo-engineering the planet. More So because now we are moving in the biologically right direction.
That right direction is building Soil-C from which all these good services derive.

Just stopping Fossil energy serves no biology, BECC may serve a few greenhouses, Sulfur aerosols increase NPP & hide AGW, so must have a full accounting. CCS seems to serve only earthquakes.

Cheers,

Erich

Erich J. Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
  540-289-9750

USBI 2016 Presentation; http://usbi2016.org/schedule/
"The Civilization of Soil",
Hall Marks of The Unintended & Intended Anthropocene,
(no slides but the full text & citations are on my LinkedIn page);
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/civilization-soils-hall-marks-unintended-intended-erich-j-knight?trk=hp-feed-article-title-comment

Policy & Community Chairman

2013 North American Biochar Symposium
Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Ronal W. Larson <rongre...@comcast.net> wrote:
Rick and List,  cc Erich

I like the numbers, but can’t use them without a cite.  I know of no cite/site which says that a biochar carbon atom induces ten more.  I’d be happy if we could claim one more.

Ron

On Sep 24, 2016, at 1:28 PM, Rick Wilson rww...@yahoo.com [biochar] <bio...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[Attachment(s) from Rick Wilson included below]

Ron, Erich Knight's report on Linkedin which leads with the attached visual summarizes biochar and soil carbon's role in geo-engineering.

Our goal is to make this happen.

Rick

From: "Ronal W. Larson" <rongre...@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [geo] Book chapter: Geoengineering, or “What Could POSSIBLY Go Wrong?” Mann
Date: September 24, 2016 at 11:56:24 AM MDT
To: Andrew Lockley <andrew....@gmail.com>
Cc: Geoengineering <geoengineering@googlegroups.com>

List,  cc Andrew

1.  This looks like a fine book.  In googling I found this added set of free excerpts to be worth reading:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/09/16/deniers-club-meet-the-people-clouding-the-climate-change-debate/?utm_term=.68dd328516bb

2.   I have no real problems on the details of Mann’s “Geoengineering” chapter, given in the attachment (repeated below).  But I think there are exceptions to his (apparently 100%)  condemnation of “geoengineering”  I hope most can agree that there are possible exceptions to negative thoughts on Geoengineering.

In the case of biochar, we can see a sense in which it fails in applying to the “geo” club - as geoengineering seems to require an intention to apply for carbon dioxide removal (CDR).  Biochar is only rarely being used for that reason - it is primarily used today to save on expenses and/or to increase NPP.

So which is the best way to avoid Dr. Mann’s possible (not certain, as biochar is not mentioned) arguments against biochar.  Is it:
 a) there are often exceptions to a general rule (and biochar is a real geo approach) or
 b) biochar is not a true member of the geo “club”?

The prime historical proof of biochar’s cost-effectiveness are the (now) ancient Terra Preta soils of the Amazon - clearly never intended for the CDR half of geoengineering.

3.  I will continue this line of reasoning in another response I was preparing when this one came in.  I see reasons to want biochar to be considered as “geo”.

Ron

On Sep 24, 2016, at 5:52 AM, Andrew Lockley <andrew....@gmail.com> wrote:

Geoengineering, or “What Could POSSIBLY Go Wrong?”
Excerpt from "Madhouse effect", Mann and Toles.
Attached

<excerpt--mann--madness.pdf>

__._,_.___
Attachment(s) from Rick Wilson | View attachments on the web

1 of 1 Photo(s)

Posted by: Rick Wilson <rww...@yahoo.com>

Check out the automatic photo album with  1 photo(s) from this topic.
Carbon Multiplier.jpg

.

Ronal W. Larson

Sep 27, 2016, 12:16:28 PM9/27/16
to Erich Knight, Rick Wilson, biochar, se-bi...@googlegroups.com, Soil Age
Erich et al

I agree with all you have - but I am looking for published data on how much added carbon appears out-yearn soils following biochar application.  I just haven’t seen any good data.  Presumably the ratio goes up as you are dealing with poorer soils.  It is not an easy number to calculate, even if we knew for a few sites.

Ron