Re: [biochar] Shared from Twitter: Southern states lead growth in biomass electricity generation - Today in Energy - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Erich Knight

May 31, 2016, 9:23:40 PM5/31/16
to biochar, se-bi...@googlegroups.com, Soil Age
WOW........... The US has  64 TWh, (64,000 gigawatt hours), of biomass made electrons.
Wasn't that report from Japan projecting a 2030 goal for their biomass power production just 50 TWh

Cheers,

Erich

Erich J. Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
  540-289-9750

Policy & Community Chairman
2013 North American Biochar Symposium
Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 2:00 AM, Rick Wilson rww...@yahoo.com [biochar] <bio...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Tom,  I was expecting that gasifier chars would work well with compost.  Thinking gassier char would have no labile organics (which could be supplied by compost), high pH (offset by compost, or remediated if biochar composted with biochar), and high surface area which may mean high plant available water...

Jun 1, 2016, 9:03:56 AM6/1/16
to soil...@googlegroups.com, biochar, se-bi...@googlegroups.com
Having tested 1000+ chars, I no longer expect anything - especially based on descriptors (gasifier, TLUD, retort). The description of the source only defines a probability of a quality. Testing the char is the only reliable means of starting the characterization; subsequently, most units run the same way will produce about the same char.

Testing any char once does not seem like a high bar. If it has acceptable adsorption and you can live with the ash characteristics, it probably has  place in the biochar world - assuming it does not have any overt toxicity history (always due to contamination in the feedstock - quit testing for dioxin...... )

Hugh McLaughlin

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

Erich Knight

Jun 3, 2016, 10:59:55 PM6/3/16
to biochar, Soil Age, se-bi...@googlegroups.com, Bob Fairchild
The first time I tried PAM gels in containers, not accounting for expansion, the diamond like gel particles pushed up & over the rim of pots, but didn't push plants out. Normally I mound the growing medium in the pots and it settles an inch bellow the rim, not much settling with gels added. So after that I filled pots to an inch bellow the rim.

PAM gels are costly, and for the past 8 years I have found that char does about 1/3 of their job, reducing watering frequency, (plus so much more).
So my potting medium recipe is; 75% potting mix, 25% Char/Compost + time release NPK + Ag Gypsum + Ironite.

The Char/Compost is composed of 20% Char and 80% Compost, I also use it to mix with the back fill, (about 25% by volume), on trees, perennials & annual bedding plants.
I make my char with the Tom Reed, Conservation burn method from hard wood pruning of < 2 inch diameters.

Cheers,

Erich

Erich J. Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
  540-289-9750

Policy & Community Chairman
2013 North American Biochar Symposium
Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Paul Anderson psan...@ilstu.edu [biochar] <bio...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Rick,

Thanks for informing me (us) about this very interesting material.

"Competition" is good.   We now have something extra for comparative trials.  And the field results relating to water retention strengthen the case that ALSO biochar could have such benefits (need to be proven numerous times).

At the website I did not find info about:
1.  cost
2.  longevity in the soil (when does it break down?).

Can cost be cheaper than char from a TLUD cookstove in an Indian village?  No. (But impoverished people are not likely to by buying this type of agricultural technology, so there should not be competition in that space.)

Can longevity be greater than the centuries of usefulness of char in Terra Preta?  Not likely, but of course studies need to be done.

Can the "gel" (which is sold as crystals until wetted by rain or as dry powder to make into sprays) be applied in fields more easily than biochar?  Yes.

I hope that Rick (or others) can get the company to provide info and even dialog with us here on this Biochar Listserv.   We want to learn from them, and ask them important questions.  FRIENDLY competition is much better than working separately.

Interesting that the technology has major usage in the disposible diaper business.
A.  Should billions of diapers be recycled into fields?   make the other components biodegradable or giving "fiber" and fertile poop.
B.  We might find some support from P&G (Proctor and Gamble).  Bob Fairchild and I know a recently retired product engineer (Ron G.) who worked in the diaper sector.   (Bob, I cannot find Ron G's email address, please forward this to him, with my regards.)

Paul

Email:  psan...@ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com
On 6/2/2016 11:56 PM, Rick Wilson rww...@yahoo.com [biochar] wrote:

Here is an example of a company that supplies crystals that turn to gel when wetted.   Potassium poly acrylate.
This technology has proven effective at improving crop yields, particularly in loam and sandy soil.

In addition to higher yields, increases in microbial populations are also reported. Biochar competes with this product in the market place, and the cost of biochar is a disadvantage.

Tells me that keeping the soil wet, like biochar does, helps crop yields, and that water holding capacity is an important measure for crop-soil performance.

Rick

Jun 3, 2016, 11:13:27 PM6/3/16
to soil...@googlegroups.com, biochar, se-bi...@googlegroups.com, Bob Fairchild
Dear Eric,

I’m not on that list, do you have more information on the composition and production of the “PAM gel”?

What does PAM mean, to me it means pulse amplitude modulation?

The question is raised below if diapers should be recycled in fields.

This is an absolute NO, NO from a public health standpoint, what if the baby has cholera or other transmissible diseases?

Also most diapers these days are not cotton, but loaded with plastics that you don’t want in your soil!

Best wishes,
Tom

Thomas J. F. Goreau, PhD
President, Global Coral Reef Alliance
President, Biorock Technology Inc.
Coordinator, Soil Carbon Alliance
Coordinator, United Nations Commission on Sustainable Development Small Island Developing States Partnership in New Sustainable Technologies
37 Pleasant Street, Cambridge, MA 02139

Books:

Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase

Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration

The Green Disc, New Technologies for a New Future: Innovative Methods for Sustainable Development

No one can change the past, everyone can change the future

Erich Knight

Jun 5, 2016, 2:02:51 AM6/5/16
to biochar, Soil Age, se-bi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,
the amount of char by volume I use in my potting soil mix is about 10%, my observations of watering frequency are by no means measured in any scientific way. When I used Hydro-Gels, (PAM), my containerized flower pots could go 9-10 days before showing signs of moisture stress, (my standard mix 4-5 days).
Then when I started using a char mix; about 7-8 days.

The mechanism of action was probably a combination of both char's Water Holding Capacity, (WHC), and Water Use Efficiency, (WUE),

The best visual example of this dynamic was the time lapse video that CP made of a plant grown in a clear glass container.;  http://www.coolplanet.com/videos

Cheers,

Erich

Erich J. Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
  540-289-9750

Policy & Community Chairman
2013 North American Biochar Symposium
Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 7:28 PM, Stephen Joseph joey.s...@gmail.com [biochar] <bio...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Hi Rick

Biochar can compete especially if you mix 20% wheat straw biochar 5% bentonite clay with 75%NPK as Prof Pans group in China has shown and we have shown in Australia with potatoes and wheat.

DAP or urea in Australia is about $US500/tonne and biochar can be purchases between $100 and $300/tonne from companies making fuel charcoal.

We have published a lot of data on this both with stories in IBI newsletter and in academic journals

Regards
Stephen

Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2016 10:01 AM
Having tested 1000+ chars, I no longer expect anything - especially based on descriptors (gasifier, TLUD, retort). The description of the source only defines a probability of a quality. Testing the char is the only reliable means of starting the characterization; subsequently, most units run the same way will produce about the same char.

Testing any char once does not seem like a high bar. If it has acceptable adsorption and you can live with the ash characteristics, it probably has  place in the biochar world - assuming it does not have any overt toxicity history (always due to contamination in the feedstock - quit testing for dioxin...... )

Hugh McLaughlin

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---
---

__._,_.___

Posted by: Stephen Joseph <joey.s...@gmail.com>

.

__,_._,___

Erich Knight

Jun 7, 2016, 12:44:00 AM6/7/16
to biochar, Soil Age, se-bi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Barry,

Long time since you've posted,

From your study can you quantify this increased phosphorous use efficiency?

Seems for P challenged/deficient soils this would be a major selling point.

Biochar is a growth-promoting alternative to peat moss for the inoculation of corn with a pseudomonad

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13593-016-0356-z

Cheers,

Erich

Erich J. Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
  540-289-9750

Policy & Community Chairman
2013 North American Biochar Symposium
Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 7:36 PM, 'Mark Elliott Ludlow' ma...@ludlow.com [biochar] <bio...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

…then there’s chitosan, one of the few cationic biopolymers. Very useful as a seed coating. Amine group at C2 gives a pKa of about 6.2.

Mark

Jun 7, 2016, 11:29:07 PM6/7/16
to biochar, se-bi...@googlegroups.com, Soil Age
Hi Don,

To add to your list, (in my neighborhood of the mid Atlantic states);

An expanded shale;
STALITE PermaTill®, a rotary-kiln fired expanded slate particle.

"PermaTill", (also sold as "VoleBloc")

http://www.permatill.com/home-garden-products.php?cat=10

Horticultural Aggregate;
http://www.permatill.com/home-garden-products.php?cat=8

Roots bifurcate like heck when they hit it.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 7:06 PM, dgr...@ihug.co.nz [biochar] <bio...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
[Attachment(s) from dgr...@ihug.co.nz included below]

Hi Rick & others, ...

  • Thanks for your words of support Rick, ... & yes (long term) sustainability issues!!!  I agree with you that many people (& I include too many of our politicians) have very only short term planning & mostly $$$ costs & benefits in their daily & annual spreadsheets when it comes to land management, & making a return on their investments of time / money & thinking.... innovations, research & development of our most promising ideas.
    • What is most risky?
    • Is it our current course of behaviours & inability to adapt to changes in social, economic & ecological environments?
    • ... Or is it fear of future uncertainty?
    • ... or our repeating historic failures?,
    • ... & or our present reactions to fear of making mistakes or failures
      • IS IS FIGHT, FLIGHT OR FRIGHT?   or all 3?
  • Behavioural psychology ....mmmm Yes! ...
    • Why do so many people have FEAR?
    • What do they / we fear the most?
    • Is it not wanting to be "first" or leading the way for others to see when things may go very right or (dread to think of it) wrrrrr wrong!
    • Is it future focussed fear & uncertainty about the present or future risks? ...  of climate & or political changes? ... possibly both!!
    • Is is past focussed fear, regret, feelings of blame, guilt or responsibility for having made mis-judgements or mistakes?
    • How many people in positions of power & or responsibility are in feelings of DENIAL? .... isn't that just a river running through Egypt?
    • Are our fears in the technologically advanced & industrialised" Developed World", (1st & 2nd world economies) synonymous with the fictional machismo character of Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli (better known as "Fonzie" or "The Fonz") played by Henry Winkler in the American sitcom Happy Days (1974–1984)???
      • How do we maintain our pride & dignity in the face of reality that Western & industrialised civilisation's approach to industrialised agriculture & (lack of ) soil stewardship has got a quite a few things RRRRRrrrrong?  ... or that we're SSSSSSsssorry!!!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fonzie
      • The fictional Fonze character, ... like his best mate Ritche, doesn't compromise his principles as easily and sticks to what he believes is right!, ..... Might is right!! RIGHT??? WRONG AGAIN!!
      • So What??? So, ... what if we've ALL messed up??,
      • Do we need to hit the reset button? ... or perhaps we're still thinking that like Fonzie who would at times demonstrate an almost magical ability to manipulate technology with just a nudge, bump or a snap of his fingers for things such as starting a car, turning on lights, coaxing free sodas from a vending machine, making girls respond, or changing the song selection on a juke box..
      • WAKE UP FOLKS!!! THERE ARE NO SILVER BULLETS OR MAGICAL PANACEAS!!
          •  ... WAKE UP, WAKE UP, ....WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP ...  PULL UP!!! PULL UP!! DANGER, DANGER,
      • HOWEVER .... DON'T PANIC!!   THINK RATIONALLY,
      • WHEN IN DOUBT,
        •  ... ASK QUESTIONS!!!  ... & more questions, ... & then ... BE PREPARED TO LISTEN!!!!
      • THINKING & ACTING OUTSIDE THE CUBE .....
        • LISTEN TO UNCONVENTIONAL ANSWERS THAT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY APPARENT
      • WHAT CAN WE DO DIFFERENTLY??  ... ASK YOURSELF:
        • HOW RISKY IS IT TO CARRY ON WITH OUR CURRENT LAND MANGEMENT COURSE?
        • HOW RISKY IS PYROLYSIS OF BIOMASS TO MAKE SYNGAS, CHARCOAL & BIOCHAR?
        • WHAT ARE THE RISKS OF NOT CHANGING?
      • Paulo Coehlo : "The world is changed by your example, .. Not by your opinion"
        • Be prepared to lead by example ...
        • Isn't that the way organic production systems have inceasingly become accepted & adopted,
          • ... by ecological thinking & acting about our soils & food web
Mike the Worm Guy ... that's another 20 cents worth, ...  isn't it?
Don Graves
17 Wilkie Street
Motueka
ph.(03)5288918

On 04/06/2016 04:28, Rick Wilson rww...@yahoo.com [biochar] wrote:

Don, I completely agree with you that using gels is the wrong way to go from a sustainability perspective. I also believe that biochar would have even done better than the case studies show on the web site because it is multifunctional as you point out.

What I believe you can count on is people making decisions based on money, money today. And even if you can get the incentives right, no one wants to stick their neck out and try something new.  And many people can't make a decision.

In my neighborhood in Southern California you can take a loan for solar, no money down, and cut your electric bill by 2/3.  For me that's almost $250 per month savings.  No one does it.   My conclusion, either my neighbors really don't care about the environment, or they don't realize there are no-money down options (but its widely advertised), or they don't want to take a loan, instead pay a much higher per month fee so their balance sheet looks clean (at the expense of the environment, and their own long term savings).   Or they just can't make decisions.
We are in the same boat with biochar.
In my exhaustive experience with agriculture trials, I can't tell you how many time's I've done a successful trial and the customer does not move forward.  They don't want to be first, its not in the budget (so now I offer finance), its more expensive than other amendments, there is always a reason not to move forward.
There needs to be a behavioral psychology track at the IBI conference!
But I believe!
Rick

Jun 8, 2016, 11:43:47 PM6/8/16
to biochar, se-bi...@googlegroups.com, Soil Age, Craig Sams, Simon Manley
Hi Joey,

The Owner of the avocado farm , is that the guy that Dolph Cook had done work with?

Do the avocado friut earlier as Craig Sams' Cocoa do?

Cheers,

Erich

Erich J. Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
  540-289-9750

Policy & Community Chairman
2013 North American Biochar Symposium
Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 9:40 AM, mikethe...@aol.com [biochar] <bio...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Stephen,

I could not agree with you more.

Finding a respected grower, within a specific crop sector, to be an innovation epicenter is critical for the implementation of any new solutions, as well as, the development of ongoing solutions.

Working from this type of arrangement provides the opportunity to realize the cascade of further innovations that can occur when this grower actively participates, as an integrated part, of the innovation cycle.

Once the relationship is established, the goal shifts from trying to sell a product to participating with the grower in improving the grower's operation.

Mike

__._,_.___

Posted by: mikethe...@aol.com

Check out the automatic photo album with 3 photo(s) from this topic.
IMG_1037.JPG anchorage tank hole.jpg P3302800.JPG

.

__,_._,___

Erich Knight

Jun 17, 2016, 6:04:43 AM6/17/16
to biochar, se-bi...@googlegroups.com, Soil Age, Gregory Stangl, Phil Blom
Paul, David,  and All,

Very good on Paul for bringing everyone’s attention to the TLUD stoves way of making BioChar.
David's behavior & collective consciousness with TerraChar, Phil Blom et al large organic farming folks is launching the next generation's efforts towards sustainability.

I would also like to bring Greg of Phoenix Energy to this conversation on industrial scale & costs. As he is producing about 6000 tons/year and about 5 MW of green electrons to the grid in CA. from several 1 MW Gasifiers.
What are his number like?, and do they jive with Rick Wilson's formula?

Cheers,

Erich

Erich J. Knight
Shenandoah Gardens
1047 Dave Berry Rd. McGaheysville, VA. 22840
  540-289-9750

Policy & Community Chairman
2013 North American Biochar Symposium
Harvesting Hope: The Science & Synergies of Biochar
October 13-16, 2013 at UMASS Amherst
http://pvbiochar.org/2013-symposium/

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:43 PM, David Yarrow dyar...@gmail.com [biochar] <bio...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

hurrah for mike!!
the worm guy quotes some numbers that make the most sense
for human-scale, farm-size and community-supportive biochar production
that is integrated with the normal operations of daily and seasonal living.

i'll skip critiques of industrial-scale operations, BS of economics, fluff of elaborate descriptive argument,
and just ask a question
about the white sausages parked by a huge majority of farms, ranches, homes, businesses, greenhouses, and facilities in the midwest.
what's in them? (not my question)
propane, an expensive, imported fossil fuel,
supplied by powerful, multi-national, corrupt, corporate cartels.

my question:
can we create a conversion kit
to turn those white sausages
into biomass pyrolysis burners
that create biochar, heat, combustible gas, liquid fuel, and wood vinegar?
might such a kit cascade into multiple kinds of common sense solutions
for farms, ranches, homesteads, and communities across america?
and around the world?

corollary question:
also common in the midwest are white sausages on 4 wheels:
anhydrous ammonia tanks delivering industrial chemical fertility to nearly-no-carbon, dead soils.
also supplied by powerful, multi-national, corrupt, corporate cartels.
can you imagine a biochar burner conversion kit & soil fertility strategy
that makes those tanks and their toxic ammonia obsolete, too?

given obvious consequences of engineered, industrial society spawned in 19th & 20th centuries,
i think we are wise to consider not just the bottomline numbers of any new technology,
but include and comprehend clearly, honestly
the human, social, community, cultural, political, and ecological impacts
of how we implement and integrate this new carbon strategy into emerging, evolving 21st century societies.

i used to say "carbon creates structure" thru its tetrahedral bonding symmetry.
now, i say "carbon creates community"
among atoms & molecules. among cells & organisms,
understanding carbon is more than chemistry;
it requires insight into social behavior & collective consciousness.

in the next two decades,
not only will societies' sources of energy change,
the very structure & processes of human society
are about to undergo radical, barely-imagined transformation.
most of us will not be here to witness the fulfillment of this pole shift,
but we can help launch the next generations
on their journey to this new world.

my 7 cents worth of insight.
~david yarrow

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 11:03 AM, mikethe...@aol.com [biochar] <bio...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

if a 5000 ton per year biochar plants costs 3 million dollars USD to build than what do 5000 one ton a year biochar plants cost ?

Posted by: David Yarrow <dyar...@gmail.com>
Messages in this topic (115)

Check out the automatic photo album with 11 photo(s) from this topic.
IMG_1037.JPG anchorage tank hole.jpg P3302800.JPG P3032295.JPG july burnoff 3.JPG

.