biochar, diapers and "100 under$100"

1 view

Ronal W. Larson

Jun 4, 2016, 2:51:48 PM6/4/16
to biochar, solar...@gmail.com, Soil Age, se-bi...@googlegroups.com, Thomas Goreau
Biochar (added),  Bob and ccs  (note this is a new thread name, but is continuing one titled:  “[SeBIG] Re: [soil-age] Re: [biochar] Biochar Competition: Gel Technology for Improving Crop Yields]

This reply has nothing to do with PAMs (gels).  But they are an important topic I want to come back to.  Thanks to Bob for some leads.

Instead this is mostly about Bob’s cite of the interesting book “100 under$100”.   See more on it below.

On Jun 4, 2016, at 5:46 AM, Robert Fairchild <solar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Tom,

Apparently PAM is polyacrylamide (new to me too, gotta love google and wikipedia ;-)

<snip all on PAMs>

Attached is the diapering challenge, from:
100 Under $100: One Hundred Tools for Empowering Global Women
http://100under100.org/
and
http://www.engineeringforchange.org/100-under-100-catalogues-technologies-that-improve-womens-lives-in-developing-countries-2/

[RWL1:  The “attached” is still below.  Because I have previously (can’t give a time or place) said I thought biochar could play a role in diapers because of its absorbency, let me just say again that I think young girls in developing countries could make their own sanitary napkins using charcoal. When placed in soil (just the char? or also the “ cheesecloth”) we can call it biochar.  I appreciate that Tom G. has cautioned on how this could be harmful when serious disease is possible - but I think training could prevent harm there - and the “loaded” biochar would be placed below the surface - not on it.  I am not expert on any form of disease transmittal - so hope we can hear more on whether diapers and biochar can work together.

[RWL2:  It appears that Bob bought the “100 under $100” book.  I just now bought the Amazon e-book version - for about $10 - and am glad to now recommend it to others.  https://www.amazon.com/100-Under-Hundred-Empowering-Global-ebook/dp/B00OF8FE04?ie=UTF8&btkr=1&ref_=dp-kindle-redirect
It has a page similar to that below (on diapers) for biochar.  Also section on stoves and several other topics appropriate to our lists.  A lot on food and gardening.  Obviously the author has close ties to Kenya (the biochar material related to Re:biochar (and Jason Aramburu) is out of date. - but is/was highly pertinent.

[RWL3:   I also just signed up at the “E4C” site given above.  Thanks to Bob for that lead.  I don’t see biochar there yet, but it would fit.

Most of the nutrients are in the urine. Shallow burial of biodegradable diapers might be safe enough in the tropics, considering the alternatives. Would the gels withstand high temperature composting?

[RWL4:   To clarify,  I am thinking sanitary napkins above, but capturing urine & nutrients seems appropriate also.   I have talked to some experts on both these topics - who report that sanitary napkin costs and non-availabiilty are behind many girls leaving school.

Any other thoughts on replacing the term “PAMs” in this thread with “biochar”?

Ron

Bob

<diapering challenge - 100 under $100.pdf>

diapering challenge - 100 under $100.pdf