New book out - The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride (Robert C. Martin)

Dave Schinkel

Jan 10, 2015, 5:58:43 PM1/10/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
just FYI, I just discovered this today.  Another one by UB and wanted to pass along.

The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride (Robert C. Martin)

Alastair Smith

Jan 12, 2015, 12:04:21 PM1/12/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
Oops, that's by Sandro Mancuso, not Uncle Bob. It's part of Bob's series of books from Prentice Hall. Amazon's listing makes it quite ambiguous!

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 14:58:43 -0800
From: dsch...@gmail.com
To: software_cr...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [SC] New book out - The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride (Robert C. Martin)

just FYI, I just discovered this today.  Another one by UB and wanted to pass along.

The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride (Robert C. Martin)

Dave Schinkel

Jan 14, 2015, 12:24:22 AM1/14/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
Yea I realized that after posting a while back.

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 14:58:43 -0800
From: dsch...@gmail.com
To: software_cr...@googlegroups.com

just FYI, I just discovered this today.  Another one by UB and wanted to pass along.

The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride (Robert C. Martin)

Tim Ottinger

Jan 14, 2015, 8:02:25 AM1/14/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
Not necessarily the wrong choice from a sales point of view.
I'm more likely to buy the Robert Martin book b/c I know the name and POV.
I don't know Sandro Marcuso (yet).

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/software_craftsmanship.

Philip Schwarz

Jan 15, 2015, 2:36:08 AM1/15/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
>I don't know Sandro Marcuso (yet).

Sandro Mancuso in "SCNA 2013: Craftsmanship: A Few Years On" (https://vimeo.com/80839608) @ '04:"15 :

"about 11,000 people signed the software craftmanship manifesto...apparently there are about 40 million developers in the world...that means that 0.024% of people know about the manifesto or care enough to sign it... for each of us, there are more than 4,000 developers who don't even know what you are doing here"

Philip

Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 14:58:43 -0800
From: dsch...@gmail.com
To: software_cr...@googlegroups.com

just FYI, I just discovered this today.  Another one by UB and wanted to pass along.

The Software Craftsman: Professionalism, Pragmatism, Pride (Robert C. Martin)

Philip Schwarz

Jan 15, 2015, 2:39:22 AM1/15/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
It was formerly published by Leanpub: https://leanpub.com/socra

Philip

Dave Schinkel

Jan 15, 2015, 10:40:26 PM1/15/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
thanks for that link Phil

Dave Schinkel

Jan 15, 2015, 10:41:00 PM1/15/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
Phil I mean thanks for the link to that vide

Dave Schinkel

Jan 15, 2015, 10:44:40 PM1/15/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
"about 11,000 people signed the software craftmanship manifesto...apparently there are about 40 million developers in the world...that means that 0.024% of people know about the manifesto or care enough to sign it... for each of us, there are more than 4,000 developers who don't even know what you are doing here"

Yea, I love asking devs "do you know of the Clean Code book?".  I'd say about 30% of the time I hear yes!  and the rest of the time, I hear "clean wha????".  And I'm like oh boy.  But I'm happy to point them to it.  I had a friend who did not know of it and said it changed him professionally.  And just think, the # of devs doubles every what 5 years?  We have a lot of work to do to spread the word :).

Dave Schinkel

Jan 15, 2015, 10:46:21 PM1/15/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
Hey Phil, in that vid, I can hear everyone clanging with their forks.  Eating Lobster. lol.  I'm sure it was damn good, whatever it was.

Adam Sroka

Jan 15, 2015, 10:52:13 PM1/15/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
I suggested Confident Ruby to a coworker who is new to Ruby and he said flat out, "I don't read books." It's a disappointing answer, but not a lost cause. Some people need us to read and sign for them, and then we can help them learn other ways.

Dave Schinkel

Jan 15, 2015, 11:50:15 PM1/15/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
I just listened to Sandro's talk in full.  I really made me think about delivering the message.  Very very good talk...to check ourselves in how we're being received and perceived as a community of Craftsmen.

Dave Schinkel

Jan 16, 2015, 12:02:20 AM1/16/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
Adam:

I feel what you're saying and can relate.

Well if they don't wanna read, we have 2 options:

1) More vids, and hopefully that will attract their attention more
2) Pair and show them (better yet).  I was really wanting to show a fellow close friend how to pair and do TDD.  I had to leave and we were just gonna do that.  I went downtown Chicago to meet him and was talking to him about how awesome TDD was. and I was like lets do it!  What are you working on, if it's not confidential lets pair.  But then my wife called :).  Had to get back home to help with the kids.  So we never got that opportunity yet...but I told him hey, lets remote pair sometime, I'll follow-up with you.

I agree, it's ashamed people are pushing books to the side like this.  Even though Sandro's book is amazing, I actually got the same push back. I had posted about the book sharing a like to it a few days ago in LinkedIn.  Everyone was very enthusiastic about the post.  One guy who was interested said "if I only had the time to read it all".  He probably won't take the time to realize that the book is extremely short read.  I told him well I've got a cast (DimeCasts.net) coming out in my TDD series and the first one I had already started was about Craftsmanship and said hopefully that can be a quick way for you to get your feet wet.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/software_craftsmanship.

Tim Ottinger

Jan 16, 2015, 6:29:31 PM1/16/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
I've seen 5-minute videos have a profound effect on the spoken language in a group. People in sw dev really do pick up on movie quotes. Even if the movie was just a quick snip.

I need to make some videos. I think I can I think I can I think I can.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/software_craftsmanship.

Rob Purdie

Jan 16, 2015, 6:55:14 PM1/16/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com

Please do please do please do!

Philip Schwarz

Jan 21, 2015, 5:40:41 PM1/21/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
I look forward to the videos ;-)
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/software_craftsmanship.

Philip Schwarz

Jan 21, 2015, 5:46:06 PM1/21/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com

>"I don't read books."
Sigh. How about exposing students of a first programming language to the following patterns from Apprenticeship Patterns – Guidance for the Aspiring Software Craftsman:

Read Constantly

If you read even one good programming book every two months, roughly 35 pages a week, you’ll soon have a firm grasp on the industry and distinguish yourself from nearly everyone around you.

—Steve McConnell, Code Complete

6.2.1. Context
You have Unleashed Your Enthusiasm to open lots and lots of doors.

6.2.2. Problem
There seems to be an endless stream of deeper and more fundamental concepts that are eluding you, despite your proficiency at Your First Language.

6.2.3. Solution
Focus your thirst for learning on consuming as much of the written word as possible. Emphasize books over blogs as you construct your Reading List.

Reading List

No one can learn everything at once, but no principle or rule prevents the apprentice from learning a little of this today, a little of that tomorrow, things in some order no one ever thought of before, or learning to the point where he wants to stop and then switching to something else. He need not, when he wants to learn a certain procedure, wait until it’s time in a prearranged schedule; nor need he learn something he is not ready for, thinks uninteresting, frightening, or unnecessary. The learner makes his own curriculum.

—Howard S. Becker, “A School Is a Lousy Place to Learn Anything In”

6.1.1. Context
After developing enough competence and skill to become proficient in Your First Language, you’re beginning to look around and see the incredible amount of information you still need to learn.

6.1.2. Problem
The number of books you need to read is increasing faster than you can read them.

6.1.3. Solution
Maintain a Reading List to track the books you plan to read, and remember the books you’ve read.

Study the Classics

Discover the great literature in your profession or area of interest—the finest books, articles, and speeches ever written—and then begin an earnest study of these works.

—Joshua Kerievsky in “Knowledge Hydrant: A Pattern Language for Study Groups” http://www.industriallogic.com/papers/khdraft.pdf

6.3.1. Context
You are self-taught, or had a highly practical education that valued skills training over theory.

6.3.2. Problem
The experienced people you collaborate with are constantly referencing concepts such as Brooks’ law from books that they assume you—and any self-respecting software developer—have read.

6.3.3. Solution
Expose Your Ignorance and ask about the unknown concept and the book it came from. Add this book to your Reading List.

Philip
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to software_craftsmanship+unsubscri...@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/software_craftsmanship.

Philip Schwarz

Jul 5, 2015, 3:04:05 AM7/5/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
Hello Tim,

just bumped into this post while looking for something.

How are the odds looking on these videos coming out in 2015 (would love to watch them) ;-)

Will GeePawHill get there first?:

folks, i'm not sittin' idle here. coming soon, my new video series about how i geek. i am very excited and even a little energized.

Oh wait, no:

i don't want to write a book. i don't want to write a blog. i don't want to make a video. i want to do something not done yet.

Philip

On Friday, 16 January 2015 23:29:31 UTC, Tim Ottinger wrote:
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/software_craftsmanship.

Tim Ottinger

Jul 5, 2015, 12:31:29 PM7/5/15
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com

Right now there is only an intention. I've had an unusually rich schedule this year so far, with clients, conferences, and home maintenance.

But the bigger problem has been will. I have not decided quite which subject to start with, because I think I put too much weight on the quality and topic of the first one.

What would you like to see first?