Opening Backup Projects

zgkaye

Nov 19, 2014, 7:25:22 PM11/19/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
I have a question about project backups - when I select this option I get a zip file that is saved on the local drive.  If I want to open a project on a different computer, I can save the project backup files in the zip file and transfer it onto another computer? If so, how????

If not, how can I continue work from a backup on a new computer using a different method?

I appreciate all the help :)

Zo

Grant Paton-Simpson

Nov 21, 2014, 3:30:01 PM11/21/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the delay - I'll have a look at the details now and report back. I'm guessing it will be a simple zipping and that if you extract it in the right place (where SOFA is installed) on another machine you are back in business.
--

---

Grant Paton-Simpson

Nov 21, 2014, 8:23:53 PM11/21/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zo,

Presumably the new computer doesn't have any existing SOFA analyses or reports you would be worried about wiping over - just an empty SOFA installation.

1) Transfer the zip file to the Desktop of the new computer
2) Open the zip file and drill down until you can select the sofastats folder
3) Extract it to your Desktop
4) Copy the sofastats folder into the folder containing the sofastats folder on your new computer. There are probably 2 sofastats folders on your new computer - one under your username, and one with the actual sofastats program on it which you can ignore. The first one is the one we are interested in.
5) Open SOFA - you can see your copied data from the other machine?

I have added a page at http://www.sofastatistics.com/wiki/doku.php?id=help:backups

If you have any additions or changes which would make the help documentation more helpful please feel free to make suggestions.

All the best,
Grant

Zohara Kaye

Nov 21, 2014, 8:32:48 PM11/21/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
That is awesome! I was putting it in the wrong sofastats folder, so I am glad to know it will work once I put it in the right folder.
Thank you so much!
Zo

Sent from my iPad
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "sofastatistics" group.