Editing info when linked to a database

Al Right

Aug 8, 2014, 12:10:52 PM8/8/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I'm really new to Sofa (loving it sofa!) hmm anyway.  I have connected to my database and everything is going to plan.  However, I need to group some items together and the simplest way it seemed to me was to open the data in enter/edit data not as read only and then change the entries.  This won't affect the original database though will it?

Grant Paton-Simpson

Aug 8, 2014, 4:34:27 PM8/8/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Glad you like it. Anyway, SOFA will certainly try to update the original data if not in read only mode (assuming the underlying connection allows write access). See DbTbl.SetValue() (about line 265 in db_tbl.py) - the code runs an UPDATE query.

If you want to modify a copy of the data you could:

1) Gain direct access to the database outside of SOFA and make a new copied table. Then link to that and edit away (although you may be better editing it using SQL directly)

2) Export the data as a spreadsheet, then import it as a new table into the default SOFA database. Then edit away.

--

---

Sharon Arnold

Aug 13, 2014, 8:25:10 AM8/13/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
This worked a treat, thank you.  I am currently working on my Phd and I need to mention the stats package I am using.  Please can you provide me with a reference?
Thank you

--

---

Grant Paton-Simpson

Aug 13, 2014, 4:47:27 PM8/13/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Glad you got that working. Here's how to reference SOFA:

How do I cite SOFA Statistics?

  • Statistics were performed using SOFA Statistics version x.y.z