Access DataBase - MDB or ACCDB?

Rodrigo Roberto Bammann

Feb 20, 2014, 10:56:23 AM2/20/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This software program seems to be very useful (I wish I knew about this a few years ago!). What attracted me most was the possibility to link to my MS Access database. However, what I noticed is that it uses the previous version of database, files on .mdb. Is there any plan for upgrading it (or just adding the option) to .accdb?

Cheers,

Grant Paton-Simpson

Feb 21, 2014, 3:58:07 AM2/21/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rodrigo,

I agree it would be a good feature but I don't really have the
development environment to create it on. I have attached the current
script I wrote to work with mdb files (which I do have a development
environment for in XP with MS Office 2002). Is there anyone out there
with MS Access and some basic Python skills to help out?

The best approach would be to rename the plug-in and focus entirely on
getting the functions to all work with .accdb. I could certainly help.

All the best,
Grant
> --
>
> ---

dbe_ms_access.py

Rodrigo Roberto Bammann

Mar 15, 2014, 4:27:22 AM3/15/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grant,

I was planning on learning a bit more of Python sometime soon, and I wouldn't mind having a go at this. However, I won't be able to do anything in the near future; if no one else is doing it until later this year, I'll try it, though.

As I said, this software seems to be quite good. I'd like to see it growing even further!

Cheers,

Rodrigo

Grant Paton-Simpson

Mar 15, 2014, 11:50:54 PM3/15/14

On 15/03/14 21:27, Rodrigo Roberto Bammann wrote:
Hi Grant,

I was planning on learning a bit more of Python sometime soon,
You won't regret that - I always find it a pleasure coding in Python.

and I wouldn't mind having a go at this. However, I won't be able to do anything in the near future; if no one else is doing it until later this year, I'll try it, though.
Cool - I'll try to assist if that is how things go.

As I said, this software seems to be quite good. I'd like to see it growing even further!
Thanks. I've just put out a new version http://www.sofastatistics.com/blog/importing-tab-separated-files-and-more/. New features:
  • Can import tab-delimited data.
  • More options for attractive charts and reports. Three new themes available - sky, prestige (screen), and prestige (print).
  • Better support for automation (i.e. headless, running without GUI) esp in international context.
  • Exporting to spreadsheet now relies on more robust code library (xlwt)
  • Easy to select or deselect lots of row stats measures at once.
  • Faster opening in many cases.
Bug fixes:
  • Minor tweak to PostgreSQL plug-in to handle timestamps without timezone.
  • Resolved bug when SQLite numbers are stored in a non-numeric field and processed for Chi Square test.
  • Importing csvs now copes better when only missing vals in sample of a field. Gives user the choice.
  • Fixed bug when doing a Row Stats table with a rows variable e.g. by Gender and some of the fields can't be calculated for some of the row categories.
  • Headless importing now works in the event of inconsistent data types in fields.
  • Headless importing now reads entire dataset rather than a sample to avoid need for (human) decisions.
  • Scripts no longer rely on translated arguments. Much safer to use on other machines with different locales.
  • Fixed circular import bugs which only became visible when other bugs occurred.
I hope it makes SOFA useful to an even larger group of people.

All the best,
Grant

Cheers,

Rodrigo