Problem with box plots

Gerardo Gold

Oct 21, 2015, 11:15:49 AM10/21/15
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Dear Grant:

I have been having some problems with box plots, at least with some data sets. I am working with a data set of pollutant levels in eggs of hawksbill sea turtle in three beaches in Mexico. The sampling design is nested (pun intended!), since we sampled 7 nests per beach and 5 eggs per nest.

I have two data sets, one with the raw data (analytical results for all individual eggs), and another with the averages per nest. If I try to do a box plot by beach with the raw data then I get (as usual) a very nice graph. But if I try to do the same with the averaged data then I get an error data saying that there is an insufficient number of boxes or there is no variance. I can do the box plot in other software, without any problems but then of course the graph is not as pretty.

I don't understand what is going on. Can you please help? I attached the two files, in CSV format. The first column in both files is meaningless, because it is there only because some software automatically assumes that the first column is for row names.

Finally, if you still need beta testers for the new version for Mac, I am willing to participate.

Cheers,

Gerardo
Turtle Averages.csv
Turtle Data.csv

Grant Paton-Simpson

Oct 22, 2015, 5:26:38 AM10/22/15
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Geraldo,

On 22/10/15 04:15, Gerardo Gold wrote:
Dear Grant:

I have been having some problems with box plots, at least with some data sets. I am working with a data set of pollutant levels in eggs of hawksbill sea turtle in three beaches in Mexico. The sampling design is nested (pun intended!), since we sampled 7 nests per beach and 5 eggs per nest.
Sounds very cool.

I have two data sets, one with the raw data (analytical results for all individual eggs), and another with the averages per nest. If I try to do a box plot by beach with the raw data then I get (as usual) a very nice graph. But if I try to do the same with the averaged data then I get an error data saying that there is an insufficient number of boxes or there is no variance.
In "my_globals.py" change from:

MIN_DISPLAY_VALS_FOR_BOXPLOT = 12

MIN_DISPLAY_VALS_FOR_BOXPLOT = 4

I'll loosen things up in the next version - 12 was probably a bit strict ;-).

I can do the box plot in other software, without any problems but then of course the graph is not as pretty.

I don't understand what is going on. Can you please help? I attached the two files, in CSV format. The first column in both files is meaningless, because it is there only because some software automatically assumes that the first column is for row names.
Thanks - I've imported that to play with.

Finally, if you still need beta testers for the new version for Mac, I am willing to participate.
Cool - that will be especially useful if I figure out a way of getting certain graphics libraries to work with Mac so I can export charts/tables as PNGs on that operating system.

All the best,
Grant

Cheers,

Gerardo