Google spreadsheet import login problem

Jørgen E. Nerland

Oct 22, 2015, 2:23:32 PM10/22/15
to sofastatistics
Unable to login to my google account while trying to import google doc's spreadsheet into SOFA.

Error message:
"Problem getting spreadsheet details."
"Caused by error: no element found:, line 1, column 0"

This happens every time I try this option. What is wrong and how can I fix this. Would be a really nice feature if it worked.

JEN

Grant Paton-Simpson

Oct 24, 2015, 5:09:13 AM10/24/15
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jørgen,

On 23/10/15 07:23, Jørgen E. Nerland wrote:
Unable to login to my google account while trying to import google doc's spreadsheet into SOFA.

Error message:
"Problem getting spreadsheet details."
"Caused by error: no element found:, line 1, column 0"

This happens every time I try this option.
Hmmm - I am getting the same thing. It certainly used to work - I'll check to see if the API has changed or similar.

All the best,
Grant

--

---

Grant Paton-Simpson

Oct 31, 2015, 10:34:14 PM10/31/15
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jørgen,

I looked into this and concluded the benefits of keeping this feature didn't outweigh the extra work. In practice, it is so easy to download a spreadsheet directly and just import it normally that the direct downloading feature was of borderline value when it was working. Now that it is broken and requires ongoing maintenance (as APIs are inevitably deprecated) I've decided to rip it out of the next version of SOFA. I want to save my (limited) energy for getting the image exporting working on all versions of OS X. I looked into the issue for a reasonable while (gspread looked like a good library to use) but the hassles around authentication and packaging got me in the end. Sorry about that. I hope it is of some consolation that 1.4.6 has the following improvements ready for release once testing is over:
  • Adds time series line and area charts. [That's a biggie ;-)]
  • Better error message when not enough values in group to run analysis e.g. ANOVA.
  • Better handling of precision in p-value results displayed.
  • Better handling of dates pre-1900.
  • Better messages to user about potentially excessive categories in charts.
  • Add support for float years as date values for time series.
  • Add support for specifying port connecting to postgresql.
  • Allows boxplots when fewer values to display.
And bug fixes:
  • No longer a missing legend in multiseries scatterplots just because the first scatterplot only had one series of data.
  • Fixed bug with saving database connection details when a number involved (port).
  • Fixed postgresql bug when saving connection without password - now succeeds rather than failing silently.

All the best,
Grant