Kurtosis Calculation

George Self

Nov 22, 2016, 7:10:20 AM11/22/16
to sofastatistics
Can someone tell me if the kurtosis calculation done by Sofastats in the normality check is a simple kurtosis (normal distribution has kurtosis of 3) or an excess kurtosis (normal distribution has a kurtosis of 0)? I suspect it's an excess kurtosis since the calculated value for Age in the demo_tbl comes up -1.177 and that would seem to be a bit low for a simple kurtosis calculation. Thanks for any help you can provide on this.

Grant Paton-Simpson

Jan 28, 2017, 6:06:04 PM1/28/17
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com

Hi George,

It uses Fisher's definition, which subtracts 3.0 from the result to give 0.0 for a normal distribution. See https://git.launchpad.net/sofastatistics/tree/sofastats/core_stats.py#n2172

All the best,
Grant

--

---

Self, George

Jan 29, 2017, 11:28:08 AM1/29/17
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I appreciate the update. I also appreciate the tweet. I'll keep my work updated from semester to semester and post the latest version for folks to use.

-----
George Self
Dean, Extended Learning
se...@cochise.edu