Data table: export to Excel (.xls/.xlsx) not working in Linux

Charles Hartley

Jul 31, 2014, 5:13:39 PM7/31/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grant,

Still using and loving SOFA!  In fact, I made some updates to one of my tables, enough that I thought it would be good to have a newer version of the original xls I imported to create the SOFA table in the first place. However, when I select "Export to spreadsheet" (or similar), I get no output exported. The progress bar didn't move for about five minutes before I hit "Cancel" and it stopped right away; this makes me believe even more strongly that nothing was happening, as in, canceling operations usually takes a minute of two as the computer stops operations and dumps all the data it had been working on. Still, did I not wait long enough??

I'm running SOFA 1.4.3 on a Linux Mint 17 machine. Lemme know if you need further information.

Cheers,
Charles

Grant Paton-Simpson

Aug 1, 2014, 3:58:31 PM8/1/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

Not sure what is happening yet but we should be able to sort it out. I do all my development in Ubuntu so Mint should be a well-supported platform for SOFA. There are two places data might be exported to a spreadsheet. From the main data window (Main form > Enter/Edit Data > Open > Export as spreadsheet) or from any sort of output window (e.g. Reports > Export (Current Output) > Export to spreadsheet (report tables only)). Which is the problem? It sounds like the former but I need to be crystal clear so I can know which part of the code is affected.

Both of those exports to spreadsheet worked on my system just now but something particular is going wrong on yours. If your data is not too sensitive, you could send your sofa_db file to grant at sofastatistics.com and I can try to replicate the problem.

All the best,
Grant

Charles Hartley

Aug 5, 2014, 11:59:19 AM8/5/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grant,

Sorry for the silence- away over the weekend. You are correct, the problem was found in the first option you mentioned below: Main form > Enter/Edit Data > Open > Export as spreadsheet.

Agreed, the SOFA should be well-supported for Mint. let me know if there is any further information you need.

Cheers,
Charles

Charles Hartley

Sep 23, 2014, 10:08:35 PM9/23/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi again Grant,

Any news on this export problem? I am still having this issue on linux mint: when I select the "Export" button from the window, there is no progress on the status bar. I was going to try to export from my Windows side, but I must be missing some files; I copied "sofa.db" over (after renaming the original one) and the *.proj file. However, I must be missing a file since I get an error when trying to open the project.

Anyway, I just wanted to get this table exported in the meantime! I modified the data from the original CSV I imported, so being able to export it again would be really helpful.

Best,
Charles

Grant Paton-Simpson

Sep 26, 2014, 3:41:23 PM9/26/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

Sorry for the delay - had to wait for the weekend to look at this. I'll install the latest stable version of Mint in a Virtual Machine and see if I have any problems and take it from there.

All the best,
Grant
--

---

Grant Paton-Simpson

Sep 26, 2014, 3:43:07 PM9/26/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Charles,

I'm at http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Which one is the same as yours? No point finding no problems on a different version.

All the best,
Grant