Install Help for Mac (OSX 10.8.2)

Dave Frye

Nov 4, 2012, 9:37:25 PM11/4/12
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
I downloaded the software (Mac Version) and when I try start it using the little sofa icon, it momentarily flashes on the dock and then nothing happens.

I have the latest version of OSX 10.8.2

Grant Paton-Simpson

Nov 4, 2012, 11:05:27 PM11/4/12
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,

Did it manage to make a sofastats folder in your home directory, e.g. /Users/username/sofastats, before it died?

All the best,
Grant

David Frye

Nov 4, 2012, 11:13:04 PM11/4/12
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
No. Not that I could find anywhere--I'm admittedly new to Macs though.
____________________
David Frye, Ph.D.

Grant Paton-Simpson

Nov 5, 2012, 12:00:48 AM11/5/12
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Did you get any messages when trying to install e.g. "... can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.  Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers."".

Just wondering if the following might be relevant:
> Gatekeeper is a new feature in Mac OS X Mountain Lion and recently added to Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5.  Gatekeeper helps you avoid downloading and installing software that could be harmful to your Mac.  In addition, Gatekeeper allows you to control what applications can be downloaded and run on your Mac by choosing from one of three options:
>
>     Allow for any application to be downloaded and run.  This mimics the behavior of previous versions of Mac OS X.
>     Allow only applications downloaded from the Mac App Store that have a Developer ID.
>     Allow only applications downloaded from the Mac App Store.

From http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10984/~/error-message%3A-unidentified-developer-error-when-installing-filemaker-pro-with

All the best,
Grant

David Frye

Nov 5, 2012, 7:08:45 AM11/5/12
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
No messages. It just flashes in the dock momentarily and then nothing.

Grant Paton-Simpson

Nov 5, 2012, 11:33:19 PM11/5/12
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Are there any other users out there who have tried SOFA on Mac 10.8 (Mountain Lion)? I admit to being a bit stumped on this given there doesn't even appear to be a user folder with an output file in it. And presumably, David, you didn't get a file called something like sofastats_error_details.txt appearing on your desktop? It is produced even if the error happens quite early on.

mcsk

Nov 29, 2012, 11:00:59 AM11/29/12
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem, once clicking on the icon, it flashes and nothing happens with no error message whatsoever. I do have all components in downloads folder. If the problem is lack of sofatats folder in home directory how can I get it as after searching for it it doesnt come up?
I also cant find Gatekeeper (dont have Lion yet) , but managed to check my settings for apps downloaded and its set to open anything from anywhere.
Thanks!

Grant Paton-Simpson

Dec 1, 2012, 1:00:19 AM12/1/12
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi mcsk and Dave,

I don't know what the problem is (yet). Ideally, if SOFA dies in the early stages it tries to make a text file on the desktop as its last gasp. Or, if it fails after it has been able to successfully create a sofastats folder under /Users/username, it adds error messages to output.txt in the _internal subfolder. If neither of these things happen, I may need to make a special diagnostic version of the executable and find a friendly (and patient) user to help me work out exactly where it fails.

Any more feedback from Mac users succeeding/failing would be useful. What we need if SOFA version, Mac OS X version, succeeds/fails.

e.g. SOFA 1.3.0, OS X 10.8.2, Fail

I could form a list. Maybe SOFA always fails on one version of OS X or there is a more tricky pattern.

All the best,
Grant

Pat J.

Sep 4, 2015, 4:10:44 PM9/4/15
to sofastatistics
I have been unsuccessful in trying to install version 1.4.3 on my Mac with 10.10.5 (Yosemite). It downloads the sofastats-1.4.5_for_mac.zip. When I attempt to open/expand that zipped file, it creates a new zipped folder called sofastats-1.4.5_for_mac.zip.cpgz. When I attempt to open that it creates a new folder called sofastats-1.4.5_for_mac.zip 2.cpgz.  Such fun! It does not create any other new folders anywhere on my computer.

Sounds like it's not sympatico with Yosemite.  Has anyone had success making it work on a Mac 10.10.5 Yosemite?

Michael Vallance

Feb 1, 2016, 10:10:12 PM2/1/16
to sofastatistics
Just downloaded and using SOFA on my Mac Yosemite 10.10.5  for the first time. Works fine. Thank you!
Michael

Grant Paton-Simpson

Feb 2, 2016, 1:32:47 PM2/2/16
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
That's good to hear - my only dev environment for Mac is Snow Leopard.

--

---

Pascal Greter

Feb 1, 2019, 9:40:40 AM2/1/19
to sofastatistics
Is there a solution for the problem in the meantime?
I'm facing the same issue: when trying to open the software the icon appears for approximately 1 second on the dock but disappears immediately.
I'm using OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 and downloaded the package sofastats-1.4.6_for_mac.zip

Thanks in advance for your help!

Grant Paton-Simpson

May 26, 2019, 4:27:09 PM5/26/19
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com

Hi Pascal,

This is where things are up to for Mac packages - https://www.sofastatistics.com/blog/call-for-community-help-on-packaging-sofa-for-mac/

Fingers crossed someone will be able to help.

All the best,
Grant