Error message in demo / language settings

Vicki

Sep 30, 2014, 10:25:47 PM9/30/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I recently installed SOFA, version 1.4.3, and was going through the demo today and got stuck during the configuration for the ANOVA test. When I tried to run the test, I got the following error message: "Ooops! Unable to run script to generate report. Caused by error: Cannot convert float to Decimal. First convert the float to a string." I was unable to figure out why this happened (I even tried to close the program, reopen it and try again, but received the same error).  I am using a 2011 MacBook, OS X 10.9.5.

A possible issue may be that the default language on my computer is Spanish.  I found a post (here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sofastatistics/thXTExt0X4w) regarding changing the default language, but I found no start.py file, nor any other file I could detect that would help me change the language for SOFA to purely English.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Grant Paton-Simpson

Oct 1, 2014, 3:39:31 AM10/1/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vicki,

What were the fields you were using in the ANOVA? I will try to repeat your analysis on my own copy of Snow Leopard and see if I can replicate the bug.

All the best,
Grant
--

---

Vicki

Oct 1, 2014, 6:09:09 PM10/1/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grant,
Thanks for the fast reply.  I was following the steps from the "Getting Started" page (http://www.sofastatistics.com/wiki/doku.php?id=help:getting_started) exactly, using the demo file.

Thanks again!
Vicki

Grant Paton-Simpson

Oct 2, 2014, 12:49:27 AM10/2/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vicki,

I've figured it out. The Mac version of SOFA currently uses Python 2.6 unlike the other versions which use Python 2.7. Python 2.7 was the first to allow a float (a decimal number e.g. 5.6) to be directly converted into a Decimal.

Changed in version 2.7: The argument to the constructor is now permitted to be a float instance. (https://docs.python.org/2/library/decimal.html)

So the precision ANOVA code works in every version except the Mac version. Does the ANOVA work if you choose speed over precision? The next version of SOFA will use 2.7 on Macs as well IIRC in which case the problem will go away. You've encouraged me to get on with the next release.

All the best,
Grant

Vicki

Oct 2, 2014, 1:50:48 AM10/2/14
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Grant,

Thanks for figuring this out! Yes, the ANOVA works fine if I select "speed". I'll be awaiting the next version of SOFA :)

Thanks again!
Vicki

Ed Rykiel

Feb 10, 2015, 2:24:04 PM2/10/15
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if you might also upgrade the demo - for example, there is no RUN button to click. Thank you.

Grant Paton-Simpson

Feb 11, 2015, 2:28:44 PM2/11/15
to sofasta...@googlegroups.com
The demo?