The best tool for stress and load test on sockjs with node.js application

xyz

Feb 5, 2013, 2:49:25 PM2/5/13
to soc...@googlegroups.com
I like to know the best stress and load testing tool for sockjs with node.js applications.
Thanks,

Roey Berman

Feb 5, 2013, 3:34:04 PM2/5/13
to chang...@gmail.com, sockjs
I guess this would be a good place to start:

Also, if you have a public page with enough concurrent users, you can add a socket and send some messages.

HTH

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM, xyz <chang...@gmail.com> wrote:
I like to know the best stress and load testing tool for sockjs with node.js applications.
Thanks,

Marek Majkowski

Feb 6, 2013, 10:27:41 AM2/6/13
to roey....@gmail.com, chang...@gmail.com, sockjs
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM, xyz <chang...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I like to know the best stress and load testing tool for sockjs with
>> node.js applications.

Unfortunately that ain't easy. I'd suggest to first get the numbers on
what percentage of your users use websockets.

With that handy, you could try to replicate traffic patterns,
and for example try opening 60% of websocket and 40%
of xhr sessions.

Load-testing websockets is fairly easy - all you need is a
decent websocket client, and make it to open hundreds
of connections.

Load-testing xhr transports is way harder, as it requires
a lot of state on the client. I don't think there is a decent
xhr-transport client that could be used for load testing.
(on second thought - xhr-streaming is hard to simulate,
writing an xhr-polling client should be doable)

Hope that helps.

Marek

valerio....@lightstreamer.com

Oct 2, 2013, 5:53:06 AM10/2/13
to soc...@googlegroups.com
Hi xyz,

If you are still stress-testing your node apps you may consider Lightstreamer (which is available in both free and paid versions) as an alternative, instead of sockjs/socket.io.

Simone Fabiano recently issued an apple-to-apple data broadcasting comparison with socket.io (messages generated on the server side and sent to over 4 thousand clients, ran over two Amazon EC2 Machines) and LS proved to be able to scale better in terms of CPU usage, data latency, and bandwidth consumption, with some other useful features to improve the overall performance. Have a look at here. The same benchmarking kit has been left on GitHub, so you can get it and test other scenarios. Let me know if I can help. [full disclosure: I work for LS].

run...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2014, 11:51:23 AM2/15/14
to soc...@googlegroups.com
Take a look at RedLine13 - www.redline13.com.  They provide a free load testing tool that deploys load agents on your AWS account. You can write those load agents in node.js so you have full control.  See https://www.redline13.com/blog/writing-a-custom-load-test/ for more details as well as downloading a node.js example code at the bottom of the page.