Poem For Osama Bin Laden

1 view

mg

May 2, 2011, 7:45:31 AM5/2/11
Any man's death diminishes me,
but not this one.

--John Donne (modified)

Jim_Higgins

May 2, 2011, 7:47:23 AM5/2/11

Most true. Good riddance to that piece of filth.

Gary

May 2, 2011, 7:59:06 AM5/2/11
On Mon, 2 May 2011 04:45:31 -0700 (PDT), mg <mgke...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Any man's death diminishes me,
>but not this one.
>
>--John Donne (modified)

Ask not for who the bell tolls,
The bell tolls for thee ... scum.

Gary

May 2, 2011, 8:18:50 AM5/2/11

The "scum" was internded for OBL :-)

Evelyn

May 2, 2011, 9:21:58 AM5/2/11
wrote:

>Any man's death diminishes me,

>but not this one.
>
>--John Donne (modified)

I don't wish anyone ill, but Osama bin Laden is an exception to that.
I am glad he is gone. His crime on 9/11/01 made this day
inevitable. Good riddance to bad rubbish! Now he sleeps with the
fishes.

Evelyn

Rumpelstiltskin

May 2, 2011, 9:28:41 AM5/2/11
On Mon, 02 May 2011 07:59:06 -0400, Gary <n...@wnone.com> wrote:

AARGH! "for WHOM". I realize that "whom" is
disappearing, but John Donne himself wrote "whom".
It taxes my pedantic instincts to see "who" where
"whom" is correct even in original sentences. so
please get it right at least (1) in a direct quote, and
(2) immediately after a preposition.

If you ever wonder whether you should use
"who" or "whom", try substituting "he" or "him"
to see which feels right. "Him" is not disappearing,
so one's more likely to get that right.

8-\

"He for whom the bell tolls"

"Who for whom the bell tolls?"

High Miles

May 2, 2011, 9:29:34 AM5/2/11
We can be sure he will be treasured as a martyr to the cause by some.

Evelyn

May 2, 2011, 9:43:20 AM5/2/11

NOW can we FINALLY bring our troops home?

Evelyn

Gary

May 2, 2011, 10:21:47 AM5/2/11
On Mon, 02 May 2011 06:28:41 -0700, Rumpelstiltskin
<PleaseDoNot...@nowhere.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 May 2011 07:59:06 -0400, Gary <n...@wnone.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2 May 2011 04:45:31 -0700 (PDT), mg <mgke...@yahoo.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Any man's death diminishes me,
>>>but not this one.
>>>
>>>--John Donne (modified)
>>
>>Ask not for who the bell tolls,
>>The bell tolls for thee ... scum.
>

> AARGH! "for WHOM". I realize that "whom" is
>disappearing, but John Donne himself wrote "whom".
>It taxes my pedantic instincts to see "who" where
>"whom" is correct even in original sentences. so
>please get it right at least (1) in a direct quote, and
>(2) immediately after a preposition.

Believe it or not, that was a typo. I meant to put "whom". I'm an
old fan of Donne.

Jay Hanig

May 2, 2011, 11:01:18 AM5/2/11

A Haiku for Bin Laden

SEALS crash against the door
Automatic weapons fire
Brains drip on the floor.

Rumpelstiltskin

May 2, 2011, 11:34:24 AM5/2/11
On Mon, 02 May 2011 10:21:47 -0400, Gary <n...@wnone.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 May 2011 06:28:41 -0700, Rumpelstiltskin
><PleaseDoNot...@nowhere.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 02 May 2011 07:59:06 -0400, Gary <n...@wnone.com> wrote:

>>>Ask not for who the bell tolls,
>>>The bell tolls for thee ... scum.
>>

>> AARGH! "for WHOM". I realize that "whom" is
>>disappearing, but John Donne himself wrote "whom".
>>It taxes my pedantic instincts to see "who" where
>>"whom" is correct even in original sentences. so
>>please get it right at least (1) in a direct quote, and
>>(2) immediately after a preposition.
>
>Believe it or not, that was a typo. I meant to put "whom". I'm an
>old fan of Donne.

I believe you. It sure pressed my buttons!

Gary

May 2, 2011, 11:56:09 AM5/2/11
On Mon, 02 May 2011 08:34:24 -0700, Rumpelstiltskin
<PleaseDoNot...@nowhere.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 May 2011 10:21:47 -0400, Gary <n...@wnone.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 02 May 2011 06:28:41 -0700, Rumpelstiltskin
>><PleaseDoNot...@nowhere.net> wrote:

>>> AARGH! "for WHOM". I realize that "whom" is
>>>disappearing, but John Donne himself wrote "whom".
>>>It taxes my pedantic instincts to see "who" where
>>>"whom" is correct even in original sentences. so
>>>please get it right at least (1) in a direct quote, and
>>>(2) immediately after a preposition.
>>
>>Believe it or not, that was a typo. I meant to put "whom". I'm an
>>old fan of Donne.
>
> I believe you. It sure pressed my buttons!

I enjoyed Hemingway's "For whom the bell tolls". Actually it was
that title that led me to Donne.

Rumpelstiltskin

May 2, 2011, 12:17:32 PM5/2/11

I've never read anything at all by Hemingway. I think
I tried to read something once, but found it very tedious.
Maybe I was just too turned off by what I already knew
about his personality to give his writing a fair chance.

Message has been deleted

High Miles

May 2, 2011, 12:55:35 PM5/2/11
On 5/2/2011 11:53 AM, Emily wrote:
> I listened to "The Sun Also Rises" a while back and wondered how
> Hemingway got so popular if that book was typical. I haven't been
> tempted to try any others.
He must have paid people to say he was a great writer.
But then.......................I thought Scott Fitzgerald was overrated too.

Message has been deleted

Gary

May 2, 2011, 1:17:47 PM5/2/11
On Mon, 02 May 2011 12:53:58 -0400, Emily <Em...@nospam.com> wrote:

>I listened to "The Sun Also Rises" a while back and wondered how
>Hemingway got so popular if that book was typical. I haven't been
>tempted to try any others.

I was about 19 when Hemingway killed himself. All through high
school, I was a big fan of his macho BS. I thought he was a
"man's man". I read his books and thought he was the greatest.
But that was 50 years ago (this summer).

I honestly cannot remember anything he wrote. When he killed himself,
I lost all interest in him as a hero. From that day til now, I
never read another word by him -- or about him.

Alias

May 2, 2011, 1:20:57 PM5/2/11

My grandparents were friends of Hemingway back in Paris in the twenties
when Hemingway was poor. After he became successful, he forgot all the
people who helped him when he was poor. He was an asshole but a good writer.

--
Alias

High Miles

May 2, 2011, 1:23:28 PM5/2/11
On 5/2/2011 12:07 PM, Emily wrote:
> I just watched a little of the Medal of Honor ceremony on MSNBC where
> the banner at the bottom of the screen read "Obama posthumously awards
> medal of honor".
I wonder - if it was - painful.

Message has been deleted

Gary

May 2, 2011, 1:35:09 PM5/2/11

All I remember about his books is that I really did like them in the
1950s. I suppose it was also his philosophy -- "Live it up, and
write it down" -- that appealed to me. I guess most boys are
impressed with such. If he had lived longer -- I might have even
made a pilgrimage to Key West. But when he killed himself, I lost
all interest in him or his books.

Message has been deleted

Alias

May 2, 2011, 1:38:05 PM5/2/11

Do you know why he killed himself?

--
Alias

Rumpelstiltskin

May 2, 2011, 1:39:17 PM5/2/11
On Mon, 02 May 2011 13:07:35 -0400, Emily <Em...@nospam.com> wrote:

>I just watched a little of the Medal of Honor ceremony on MSNBC where
>the banner at the bottom of the screen read "Obama posthumously awards
>medal of honor".

Probably very few people picked up on that going by on
the bottom of the screen. I don't know if I would have.

Gary

May 2, 2011, 2:15:38 PM5/2/11
On Mon, 02 May 2011 19:38:05 +0200, Alias
<a...@maskedandanonymous.com.ĄnvalĄd> wrote:

I really don't . I tried to look it up a wikipedia -- but no good
results. Depression ? Maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Hemingway

High Miles

May 2, 2011, 3:06:01 PM5/2/11
On 5/2/2011 12:29 PM, Rita wrote:
> On Mon, 02 May 2011 12:53:58 -0400, Emily<Em...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> I listened to "The Sun Also Rises" a while back and wondered how
>> Hemingway got so popular if that book was typical. I haven't been
>> tempted to try any others.
> His short stories were excellent but his novels sucked.
Can't the same be said for the many - sections of our lives ?

Rumpelstiltskin

May 2, 2011, 4:37:40 PM5/2/11
On Mon, 02 May 2011 14:15:38 -0400, Gary <n...@wnone.com> wrote:
<snip>

>>Do you know why he killed himself?
>
>I really don't . I tried to look it up a wikipedia -- but no good
>results. Depression ? Maybe.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Hemingway

I got this from googling on "why did hemingway kill himself:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070130115845AAdzHy8

In his prime, Hemingway was a ferocious drinker, and for most of his
life, he could handle it. He's on record as saying he never once
suffered from a hangover.

But as he got older, all the drinking caught up with him. Any doctor
will tell you that alcohol is really a depressant. It affects the mind
in strange ways. Towards the end of his life, Hemingway became
paranoid, and tried to commit suicide on a number of occasions. In
fact, before he did manage to blow his brains out in Idaho, he had
been committed to an insane asylum, but had managed to wangle his way
out.

The second factor that contributed to Hemingway's suicide was his
temperament.

One of his famous sayings is, "It's better a day as a lion than a
lifetime as a lamb."

It's a terrific saying, and tells you a lot about the man. Which was
that he knew he'd led a fantastic life, and rather than allow his life
to drag on aimlessly into old age, he preferred ending it while he was
still able.

Gary

May 2, 2011, 5:35:13 PM5/2/11

All this discussion has finally jogged my memory. I recall now
what I heard after Hemingway died -- that turned me off him.

I read somewhere somebody quoted him as saying (can't recall the
quote, but this is the substance) Hemingway had said that if he ever
got where he could not make love (potency) he would rather die.

Even as a teenager I thought that was stupid. Life is too good to
throw away for trifles.

I'm more in agreement with what Somerset Maugham believed. Maugham
lived over 30 years longer than Hemingway. He observed in one of
his last books that every decade of life could be enjoyed -- because
it always offered things to do you either could not -- or would not --
enjoy earlier.

For instance he said old age gave us a time to think, reflect and "sum
up". That is so true. That is a lot better than weeping over lost
potency.

PS,

I do support assisted suicide. But only in cases of pain and when no
hope is left. NOT when a person is a little down in the dumps.

mg

May 2, 2011, 6:05:05 PM5/2/11
On May 2, 7:43 am, Evelyn <evelyn.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 02 May 2011 08:29:34 -0500, High Miles
>

> <2blues1...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >On 5/2/2011 8:21 AM, Evelyn wrote:

> >> I don't wish anyone ill, but Osama bin Laden is an exception to that.
> >> I am glad he is gone.    His crime on 9/11/01 made this day
> >> inevitable.   Good riddance to bad rubbish!   Now he sleeps with the
> >> fishes.
>
> >> Evelyn
>
> >We can be sure he will be treasured as a martyr to the cause by some.
>
> NOW can we FINALLY bring our troops home?
>
> Evelyn

My sentiments exactly and it's undoubtedly the sentiment of the
American public also, and I believe that's why that SOB, George Bush,
never caught him in the first place. The public was only luke warm
about going into oil-rich Iraq anyway, and I doubt if there would have
been much support for the Iraq war if Bush had caught bin Laden when
we invaded Afghanistan.

Gary

May 2, 2011, 8:05:59 PM5/2/11
On Mon, 02 May 2011 08:34:24 -0700, Rumpelstiltskin
<PleaseDoNot...@nowhere.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 02 May 2011 10:21:47 -0400, Gary <n...@wnone.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 02 May 2011 06:28:41 -0700, Rumpelstiltskin
>><PleaseDoNot...@nowhere.net> wrote:

>>> AARGH! "for WHOM". I realize that "whom" is
>>>disappearing, but John Donne himself wrote "whom".
>>>It taxes my pedantic instincts to see "who" where
>>>"whom" is correct even in original sentences. so
>>>please get it right at least (1) in a direct quote, and
>>>(2) immediately after a preposition.
>>
>>Believe it or not, that was a typo. I meant to put "whom". I'm an
>>old fan of Donne.
>
> I believe you. It sure pressed my buttons!

I was a little surprised tonight. "For whom the bell tolls" was a
question on Jeorpardy.

Alias

May 2, 2011, 8:09:39 PM5/2/11

No, he killed himself because he couldn't drink or smoke anymore, had
problems walking and couldn't live the life he was accustomed to living.

--
Alias

Rumpelstiltskin

May 2, 2011, 11:15:39 PM5/2/11
On Mon, 02 May 2011 17:35:13 -0400, Gary <n...@wnone.com> wrote:
<snip>

>For instance he said old age gave us a time to think, reflect and "sum

>up". That is so true. That is a lot better than weeping over lost
>potency.

As one old and bewrinkled gay guy said in a play, "Oh well,
there's always art.".

>PS,
>
>I do support assisted suicide. But only in cases of pain and when no
>hope is left. NOT when a person is a little down in the dumps.

I support assisted suicide for anyone who wants and
needs it and isn't nuts, maybe even if they are hopelessly
nuts. I support it even if they just say they're bored, or
are convinced that after they die they'll go to the land of
the fairies and run around joyfully in rose gardens forever.

Rumpelstiltskin

May 2, 2011, 11:15:40 PM5/2/11
On Mon, 02 May 2011 20:05:59 -0400, Gary <n...@wnone.com> wrote:
<snip>

>I was a little surprised tonight. "For whom the bell tolls" was a
>question on Jeorpardy.

That proves that Jesus exists. I converted to Jesus
after I thought one day that I needed a little rolling table
for a bed-stand. Even though I was mocking, Jesus
heard me, and that very evening, I went down to dump
my household trash and lo, there was a little rolling
table in perfect condition next to the trash bins.
That's how Jesus saved me from eternal damnation.

I keep a little phosphorescent Blessèd Virgin on that
table most of the time, though she's so small she's
sometimes gone missing and I wonder if I accidentally
vacuumed her up. I just found her partially hiding
under the lamp base (which is slightly raised). Just
her head was poking out. I've been playing Bartok
pretty loud in the daytime lately, and maybe she
doesn't like such violent modern classical music.
She's more into calm, peaceful chants, I think.