Colgate toothpaste products Halal or Haram.

Ali Baloch

Sep 12, 2004, 10:52:26 AM9/12/04
Dear Mr Baloch

One of Colgate's three global values is Caring, especially for our
consumers. One of the most important ways we demonstrate that value is
by providing consumers with information to help them choose the right
products to meet their specific needs. We appreciate this opportunity
to provide information regarding animal fats used in Colgate-Palmolive
products sold in the United States in order to facilitate the selection
of Halal products.

All of Colgate-Palmolive Company's bar soaps contain tallow-derived
ingredients. The tallowates used in these soaps are obtained only from
beef tallow. In addition, the glycerin in these soaps is certified as
pork free. The following bar soaps contain no pork or lard and,
therefore, are pork-free:
Palmolive Gold
Palmolive Classic
Cashmere Bouquet Beauty Bar
Irish Spring Bar, all variants
Vel Mild Skin Care Bar

Some of our toothpaste products contain glycerin. The glycerin we use
is obtained from both internal and external sources. All the glycerin
we use meets or exceeds the United States Pharmacopedia (USP) quality
standards. When made internally, the glycerin is made through
procedures involving evaporation, distillation and bleaching of a crude
glycerin derived from beef tallow, coconut or palm kernel oils.

Much of our glycerin is produced internally; however, it sometimes is
necessary to supplement the supply of glycerin by purchasing it from
external suppliers. When it is necessary to add to the supply by
buying glycerin, external suppliers are carefully selected. The
glycerin is only accepted if it meets or exceeds the United States
Pharmacopedia (USP) quality standards. Our regular quality control
procedures are used to monitor the quality of the glycerin.

All Colgate Toothbrushes are free of any animal-derived ingredient.
Regarding Colgate toothpaste, the information below may be helpful to
you. The following products do not currently contain glycerin or
contain only synthetic or vegetable sourced glycerin:
All Colgate Toothpastes for Children
(Kids, Junior, My First -- all variants)
Colgate Cavity Protection Winterfresh Gel
Colgate Cavity Protection Great Regular Flavor (2.7 oz.)
Colgate 2-in-1 Toothpaste & Mouthwash Fresh Mint,
Icy Blast Whitening, Whitening and Tartar Control

Colgate 2-in-1 Kids Toothpaste & Mouthwash:
Watermelon, Bubble Gum, Fairly Odd Parents
Colgate Fresh Confidence with Whitening Toothpaste
Colgate Herbal White Fresh Mint Toothpaste
Colgate Sparkling White Cinnamon Spice Gel
Colgate Max Fresh Toothpastes

Additionally, another line of Colgate Oral Care products, Colgate
Simply White Clear Whitening Gel and Colgate Simply White Night Clear
Whitening Gel also currently utilize only synthetic or vegetable
derived glycerin.

The following Household Surface, Personal Care and
Fabric Care products are also currently free of all animal-derived
ingredients:

HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS
AJAX Cleanser with Bleach
MURPHY OIL SOAP
PALMOLIVE, AJAX, DERMASSAGE and Crystal White Octagon Dish Liquids
PALMOLIVE Dishwipes
PALMOLIVE Super Scrub Gel Paste
PALMOLIVE Gel Machine Dishwasher Detergent
PALMOLIVE Triple Action Tabs Machine Dishwasher Detergent

PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS
Speed Stick Gel, Lady Speed Stick Gel, and Teen Spirit
Gel Lady Speed Stick and Teen Spirit Invisible Dry
Antiperspirants
Speed Stick 24/7 Antiperspirants
Speed Stick Power of Nature Antiperspirants
Speed Stick Ultimate Antiperspirants

Softsoap Brand Aromatherapy Body Wash
Softsoap Brand Aromatherapy Liquid Hand Soap
Softsoap Brand Floral Essentials Body Wash
Softsoap Brand Foam Works Liquid Hand Soap
Softsoap Brand Fruit Essentials Body Wash
Softsoap Brand Fruit Essentials Liquid Hand Soap
Softsoap Brand Clear Antibacterial Liquid Hand Soap
(Aquarium & Rainforest)
Softsoap Brand Vitamins Liquid Hand Soap
Softsoap Brand Naturals Body Wash (Contains dairy)

Skin Bracer® After Shave
Skin Bracer® Pre-Electric Shave Lotion
Afta? After Shave Skin Conditioner
Afta? Pre-Electric Shave Lotion

FABRIC CARE PRODUCTS
AJAX, Fab, Dynamo and Fresh Start Laundry Detergents

Colgate seeks to provide consumers with the most accurate and
up-to-date product information possible. All of the products listed
above are free of animal-derived ingredients as of the date of this
letter. Because Colgate's sourcing of ingredients and/or the
ingredients themselves may be subject to change in the future, however,
please contact Colgate's Consumer Affairs Department toll-free at:
1-800-221-4607 or log onto

www.colgate.com if you have a question about a product on this list or
if you have a question about a Colgate product not listed here.

Sincerely,

Laura
Consumer Affairs Representative
Consumer Affairs Department