Japanese hell ship Tottori Maru discovered

steelr...@yahoo.com

Nov 29, 2006, 12:31:56 AM11/29/06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGZpZrSITOA

Here is some information you may find interesting. This is a diary of
Jim Brown who was on the Tottori Maru with my grandfather. My
Grandfather was captured on Leyte Sept 17th. He ended up at a POW camp
called Shinagawa near Tokyo. 1300 men were loarded on the Tottori Maru.

Here is a link to the only known picture of the Tottori maru.

http://www.west-point.org/family/japanese-pow/PhotoFile/Tottori.jpg

**************************************

On the morning of October 5, we rolled out of bed at 2:00 A.M. and
after a hurried breakfast started marching to Cabanatuan. There we
were loaded on box cars and headed for Manila. Our destination was
unknown, at this time, but we assumed we were being sent to Japan. We

arrived in bomb torn Manila late in the afternoon and were marched
through the once crowded metropolis, seeing only a few scattered carts
and people. We were bedded down in the office area of the Manila Pier

7 building.

The following account of the prison ship trip is abstracted directly
from a diary I have. Any statements enclosed in ( ) will have been
added at a later time.

Oct. 6th-
Lounged around the pier. The Japs allowed us to purchase a few
cigarettes and fruit.
Oct. 7th-
Loaded on the ship TOTTORI MARU today. Our boat is a small, stinking
freighter with makeshift bays about 2 1/2 feet high and we are packed
in tighter than fish in a can.

Oct. 8th-
Sailed around 9:00 A.M. Manila Bay, Corregidor and Luzon were in
sight all day.

Oct. 9th-
Were shot at with two torpedoes today and later passed a floating mine.

Our chow consists of stale ration crackers and water. Much tension
the remainder of the day. (I was on a deck and saw the two torpedoes
coming toward us. The Jap captain did a masterful job of turning the
ship into the direction of the torpedoes and had it not been for his
quick action I believe both would have hit their mark. A Jap
destroyer immediately sped in the direction of the attack, dropping
depth charges as it went. All POWs were praying, "GOD, please let the

ship scare the submarine away, but don't let it sink it.")

Oct. 10th-
Passed a crowded, uneventful day, no land in sight.

Oct. 11th-
Sailed all day on a rough sea, came in sight of land just at dark.

Oct. 12th-
At 1:30 this morning anchor was cast just outside the port of Takao.
After daybreak we pulled into the harbor and started the routine of

Oct. 13th-
A few Jap troops left ship this morning. More coal and water.

Oct. 14th-
Still in port today.

Oct. 15th-
We were supposed to sail today but didn't. We were rationed our first

cooked chow today. One bowl of rice and onion soup. Our previous
rationings have been hard tack crackers, of Jap version and water.

Oct. 16th-
Pulled out of harbor about 6:00 A.M. for I don't know where. Sailed
north until 3:00 P.M., turned around and came back to Takao. Arrived
here about 12:00 midnight.

Oct.17th-
Woke up this morning in port. Spent the day on ship. Hot as Hell in

the hole.

Oct. 18th-
Sunday. Set out on our way again at 8:00 A.M., direction generally
north. Cast anchor off some fairly large island at dusk.

Oct. 19th-
Still riding at anchor this morning when we woke up. Set on a calm
sea until dark. Just at dusk a ten ship convoy came in sight and we
thought we would pull out, but we didn't.

Oct. 20th-
Sat at anchor all day again.

Oct. 21st-
Another day at anchor. Two of our fellows passed away today and were
buried in the deep. (I think it should be mentioned that some of our
Officers went to the Jap captain and requested permission to bury the
dead with traditional sea ceremony and that the Jap broke out the
American flag to use for the ceremony.)

Oct. 22nd-
Another day at anchor. Monotonous as Hell! A stiff wind came up
late this afternoon and by 10:00 P.M. it was as cold as blazes.

Oct. 23rd-
Same position as yesterday. The wind of yesterday has turned into a
typhoon. The weather is really cold to us tropical Sons.

Oct. 24th-
Around and round our anchor we blow. The sky is starting to break up
this afternoon.

Oct. 25th-
The storm is nearly over, the sun is shining and there are less than 60

SHOPPING DAYS TILL XMAS! Still at anchor.

Oct. 26th-
Storm all gone, but we haven't moved yet.

Oct. 27th-
Hauled anchor this morning and by 7:00 A.M. were under way. Came into

the port of Takao, which we have been in twice before, about 4:30 P.M.
Another man died today, and ten were said to be sent to the hospital.

Oct. 28th-
In port all day today. Took on water most of the morning.

Oct. 29th-
A busy day today. We were supposed to go ashore at 6:30 A.M. but it
was noon when we finally made it. Had our stool taken and a fresh
water bath. The natives are interesting to look at. Saw my first
Rick-shaw today. We boarded ship after dark. There is a blackout in

port tonight. (I don't know why I didn't write more on this, because
it was the only fun day we had in our 3 1/2 years with the Japs. The
fresh water bath was a riot. The Japs had us take all our clothes off

and put them in rows. There we stood in a busy port, skin and bones,
and naked as blue-jays! As the native girls walked past they would
stop, look, laugh, point at us and jabber. The Japs used fire hoses
to wet us down and except when they pointed it point blank at us, it
felt pretty good. The port city was very pretty. There were
Japanese arches on the slopes running down to the water; water taxis
were scurrying every direction and on nights when there wasn't a
blackout, the lights made the sight even more beautiful.)

Oct. 30th-
Set sail again and arrived in our little port of Mako at dark.
Pauline's birthday today!

Oct. 31st-
Lay at anchor today until 3:30 and set out on our way again for I don't

know where. The end of a trying month.

Nov. 1st-
On an open sea all day, going generally north.

Nov. 2nd-
Sailed steadily northward all day. Islands in sight constantly.

Nov. 3rd-
Chugged on all day. More islands. Two more men died today.

Nov. 4th-
Sailed steadily on. No land in sight today.

Nov. 5th-
An uneventful day on the water.

Nov. 6th-
Islands all around. Rumors that two ships were sunk in our convoy by
subs. The Japs have manned a triple watch. Another of our number
died today.

Nov. 7th-
After a hard day yesterday and last night, we pulled safely into harbor

about 8:30 A.M. Another died today. The port is Fusan on the Chosan

Pen.

Nov. 8th-
Left ship early and were issued winter clothes by the Japs. God knows

we need them because it is cold as hell and many of the fellows have
only one pair of shorts to their name. Boarded trains at 3:30 P.M.,
after being paraded through town. (This was a victory parade where
the Japs were showing the Koreans their trophies of war. Many sick
were left in Fusan to be hospitalized. In later months, some who
lived, were brought up to Mukden. There were many white boxes also
brought to Mukden containing the ashes of those who didn't make it.)

******

Orville Stanford (my Grandfather) was sent on train to Shinagawa. Near
Toyko. Slave labor for Mitisubshi (he was an engineer).

********
Nov. 9th-
Saw my first frost and ice in many, many months. Later in the day,
the train passed through an area of freshly fallen snow. Our new
clothes are rough but warm and the coach is hot. With the heat the
lice are multiplying by the millions.

Nov. 10th-
The train chugged slowly on today. Land pretty flat. A lot of grain

seems to be grown hereabouts.

Nov. 11th-
Debarked today in a strange city. Many strange sights. Saw a few
white people in the city. Arrived at our new camp in a drizzling
rain. The barracks are low, mud covered, wooden affairs. The sight
is rather depressing, but we are all sincerely glad to hit the rough
board bays that take the place of beds in this GOD forsaken country.

(This ends the diary of my trip from the Philippine Islands to Mukden,
Manchuria. I might add that the drizzle turned into snow the night of

November 11th and the same snow, with 41 other snow storms was still on

the ground the following spring.)

*******

Capt. Joe

mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net

Nov 29, 2006, 11:36:08 AM11/29/06
steelr...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Our chow consists of stale ration crackers and water. Much tension
> the remainder of the day. (I was on a deck and saw the two torpedoes
> coming toward us. The Jap captain did a masterful job of turning the
> ship into the direction of the torpedoes and had it not been for his
> quick action I believe both would have hit their mark. A Jap
> destroyer immediately sped in the direction of the attack, dropping
> depth charges as it went. All POWs were praying, "GOD, please let the
> ship scare the submarine away, but don't let it sink it.")

Of all the positions to be in in a war, this must be one of the worst.

> Oct. 21st-
> Another day at anchor. Two of our fellows passed away today and were
> buried in the deep. (I think it should be mentioned that some of our
> Officers went to the Jap captain and requested permission to bury the
> dead with traditional sea ceremony and that the Jap broke out the
> American flag to use for the ceremony.)

One of the wierd things about the Japanese; they could be hideous
barbarians, or gallant enemies, depending entirely on which individual
commander you were under. (Although the IJN was more civilized than
the IJA)

Interesting memoir. Thanks for posting it.

Mike

steelr...@yahoo.com

Nov 29, 2006, 1:04:27 PM11/29/06
mtfe...@netMAPSONscape.net wrote:
> steelr...@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Our chow consists of stale ration crackers and water. Much tension
> > the remainder of the day. (I was on a deck and saw the two torpedoes
> > coming toward us. The Jap captain did a masterful job of turning the
> > ship into the direction of the torpedoes and had it not been for his
> > quick action I believe both would have hit their mark. A Jap
> > destroyer immediately sped in the direction of the attack, dropping
> > depth charges as it went. All POWs were praying, "GOD, please let the
> > ship scare the submarine away, but don't let it sink it.")
>
> Of all the positions to be in in a war, this must be one of the worst.

No.... it got much worse including torture..but thats another story.

> > Oct. 21st-
> > Another day at anchor. Two of our fellows passed away today and were
> > buried in the deep. (I think it should be mentioned that some of our
> > Officers went to the Jap captain and requested permission to bury the
> > dead with traditional sea ceremony and that the Jap broke out the
> > American flag to use for the ceremony.)
>
> One of the wierd things about the Japanese; they could be hideous
> barbarians, or gallant enemies, depending entirely on which individual
> commander you were under. (Although the IJN was more civilized than
> the IJA)
>
> Interesting memoir. Thanks for posting it.

I'm hoping there may be others googleling Tottori Maru or Shinagowa POW
camp.
Orville Stanford was Ranking officer at the POW camp and returned to
Tokyo for the War Crimes trials, and I have information I'd like to
share & exchange with others interested.

Joe...
contact joe(removethis)9...@gte.net

> Mike

Wily Wilde

Nov 29, 2006, 1:05:01 PM11/29/06
<steelr...@yahoo.com> wrote in message > Oct. 21st-

> Another day at anchor. Two of our fellows passed away today and were
> buried in the deep. (I think it should be mentioned that some of our
> Officers went to the Jap captain and requested permission to bury the
> dead with traditional sea ceremony and that the Jap broke out the
> American flag to use for the ceremony.)

I'm curious. Why was the IJN Captain carrying a US Flag? Was it sop onboard
IJN ships? Did they carry one on board so that they could fly it to confuse
the enemy?

steelr...@yahoo.com

Nov 29, 2006, 4:15:56 PM11/29/06

I assumed it was a captured prize, just like we captured flags from
Japan, pistols and such from the germans.

I'm sure every American flag in the Phillipines was taken, so it makes
since one ended up in the hand of the ships Captain, Captains always
have good bartering supplies.

Capt. Joe

mtfe...@netmapsonscape.net

Nov 30, 2006, 1:03:55 AM11/30/06
steelr...@yahoo.com wrote:
> mtfe...@netMAPSONscape.net wrote:
> > steelr...@yahoo.com wrote:

> > Of all the positions to be in in a war, this must be one of the worst.

> No.... it got much worse including torture..but thats another story.

Some of the more severe (and effective) tortures are psychological;
would you root for the enemy to destroy your friends if your life
(and the lives of other friends) depended on the enemy's success?

Mike

steelr...@yahoo.com

Nov 30, 2006, 11:43:52 AM11/30/06

No I don''t think so.

My Grandfather was an engineer working for the far east oil company as
a drilling supervisor on Leyte . He was commissioned in the army just
before he was captured. One of the things I respect most of him is when
he was forced to set up machinery for mitsubshi he would pull a key
part of the machine and toss it into the cement slabs they were forced
to pour. Had he been caught he and his whole crew would have been
killed and they all knew it.

On torture Orville being sr officer at the camp when some rice was
stolen, was tied to a chair, and a guard broke both his legs with large
cast iron fire tongs(the type used to pull red hot rivits from a
furnace) as they tried to find who stole the rice. It was later
discovered local japanese workers stole the rice. The only justice he
got was after the war when that guard groveled at his feet asking for
forgiveness before he was hung.

Capt. Joe

Don Phillipson

Dec 20, 2006, 2:05:33 PM12/20/06
"Wily Wilde" <snip...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Officers went to the Jap captain and requested permission to bury the
> > dead with traditional sea ceremony and that the Jap broke out the
> > American flag to use for the ceremony.)
>
> I'm curious. Why was the IJN Captain carrying a US Flag? Was it sop
onboard
> IJN ships? Did they carry one on board so that they could fly it to
confuse
> the enemy?

Marine courtesy required in the 1930s (as for
century earlier) that a ship of country A entering
a port of country B should fly the flags of both
countries according to the conventional protocol
or code (which flag on which mast etc.) Thus
well-equipped ships, military or merchant, had in
the signals locker a full range of all flags likely
to be flown.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs