Why did Italy invade Ethiopia and how?

FragSinatra

Jun 21, 2012, 4:04:13 PM6/21/12
What exactly did Italy hope to gain by invading Ethiopia? Did
Ethiopia have any natural resources of note?

Also, where did Italy launch its invasion of Ethiopia from? Where
was their jumping off point? I'm assuming it wasn't an amphibious invasion
launched from Italy.

Was Italy forced to pull its military forces out of Ethiopia in WW2
with the invasion of the Soviet Union or alternatively, when the UK began
contesting axis control of N. Africa?

Don Phillipson

Jun 21, 2012, 5:16:10 PM6/21/12
"FragSinatra" <per...@not.com> wrote in message

> What exactly did Italy hope to gain by invading Ethiopia? Did
> Ethiopia have any natural resources of note?

None compelling or suggesting invasion. But Mussolini had
a (fairly popular) programme of establishing an overseas empire
first in the Greek islands and Libya ("pacified" in the 1920s,
and already held Italian Somaliland on the Horn of Africa, cf.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_East_Africa

> Also, where did Italy launch its invasion of Ethiopia from?

>From Italian Somaliland (both 1895 and 1935) which abuts
Ethiopia.

> Was Italy forced to pull its military forces out of Ethiopia in WW2
> with the invasion of the Soviet Union or alternatively, when the UK began
> contesting axis control of N. Africa?

No: Italy captured British Somaliland in 1940 and invaded Kenya.
Britain defeated Italian forces in 1941 (one of the UK's first victorious
campaigns, involving Wavell, Wingate, Sudan Camel Corps,
biplane fighters, the King's African Rifles and sundry exotica)
(but Wikpedia says Italian guerillas fought on until 1943.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Bill Shatzer

Jun 21, 2012, 5:25:40 PM6/21/12
FragSinatra wrote:
> What exactly did Italy hope to gain by invading Ethiopia? Did
> Ethiopia have any natural resources of note?

It was mostly an ego thing - Italy seeking it's "place in the sun" by
expanding its African colonial empire.

There was a bit of historical revenge involved as well - Ethopia rather
soundly defeated an Italian invasion attempt in 1896 and Mussolini
wanted to reverse that particular Italian humiliation.

> Also, where did Italy launch its invasion of Ethiopia from? Where
> was their jumping off point? I'm assuming it wasn't an amphibious invasion
> launched from Italy.

It was launched from Italian Eritrea which had been an Italian colony
since the late 19th century..

> Was Italy forced to pull its military forces out of Ethiopia in WW2
> with the invasion of the Soviet Union or alternatively, when the UK began
> contesting axis control of N. Africa?

Italian forces weren't pulled out - they were defeated and ultimately
surrendered to the British during the east African campaign.

Some of the Italian Ethiopian forces retreated to Eritrea and Somolia
where they ultimately met the same fate. I believe the last holdouts
surrendered in late 1941.

Mario

Jun 21, 2012, 7:45:34 PM6/21/12
Don Phillipson, 23:16, giovedì 21 giugno 2012:

> "FragSinatra" <per...@not.com> wrote in message
>
>> What exactly did Italy hope to gain by invading Ethiopia? Did
>> Ethiopia have any natural resources of note?
>
> None compelling or suggesting invasion. But Mussolini had
> a (fairly popular) programme of establishing an overseas
> empire first in the Greek islands and Libya ("pacified" in the
> 1920s, and already held Italian Somaliland on the Horn of
> Africa, cf. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_East_Africa

Italy conquered Libya in 1911, before WW1.
Italy already owned Somalia (the southern part) and Eritrea on
the Red Sea coast.
Main propaganda topic was that Italy needed land to cultivate
having a population surplus.

>> Also, where did Italy launch its invasion of Ethiopia from?
>
>>From Italian Somaliland (both 1895 and 1935) which abuts
> Ethiopia.

Both Somalia and Eritrea were basis for the conquer of Ethiopia.

>> Was Italy forced to pull its military forces out of Ethiopia
>> in WW2 with the invasion of the Soviet Union or
>> alternatively, when the UK began contesting axis control of
>> N. Africa?
>
> No: Italy captured British Somaliland in 1940 and invaded
> Kenya.

Kenya?

> Britain defeated Italian forces in 1941 (one of the
> UK's first victorious campaigns, involving Wavell, Wingate,
> Sudan Camel Corps, biplane fighters, the King's African Rifles
> and sundry exotica) (but Wikpedia says Italian guerillas
> fought on until 1943.)

Italian forces were cut out from the mainland (Suez closed) and
could only keep engaged British forces for some time.

Keren battle is the main event of that campaign.

wjho...@aol.com

Jun 21, 2012, 7:48:16 PM6/21/12
On Jun 21, 5:16 pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
> "FragSinatra" wrote >
>
> > Was Italy forced to pull its military forces out of Ethiopia
> > in WW2.....
>
> No: Italy captured British Somaliland in 1940 and invaded
> Kenya. Britain defeated Italian forces in 1941 (one of the UK's
> first victorious campaigns.. (but Wikpedia says Italian guerillas
> fought on until 1943.)

I'd say that, in effect, most Italian regular forces were forced out
of Ethiopia during early World War II by a three-prong British
campaign which started in the winter of 1940-41. The campaign
was composed of the forces of Generals Wavell, Cunninghham,
and Wingate who attacked from Eritrea, Kenya, and Sudan.
Wingate led an irregular force accompanied by Ethiopian
Emperor Haile Sellassie who had been deposed by the Italians
six years earlier, but was back in Addis Ababa by June of 1941.
The last Italians surrendered in November of 1941 and, although
a few Italian guerrillas may have hung around after that, the
Ethiopian constitution was restored in 1942 and Haile Sellassie
was back on the throne.
As an aside, a little background:
The Italians invaded Ethiopia in 1935 and I can clearly recall that
at that time in the U.S. there was the expectation that the League
of Nations would take action to throw them out. Haile Sellassie
went to Geneva and made a heart-rending personal appeal in a
speech to the General Assembly of the League of Nations, (carried
on U.S. newsreels) but to no avail. The League did nothing.
Meanwhile, Mussolini's son--in-law (IIRC his name was
"Count" Ciano) did a lot of bragging to the press and newsreels about
the Italian "victory," At one point he was quoted as saying words
the effect that the sight of the Italian aircraft bombing a group of
Ethiopian soldiers on horseback was like a beautiful blooming flower
whose petals opened up to the light of the sun as the bombs fell on
the horsemen. This was four years before the start of WWII in
Europe,
but a prelude of things to come.

WJH

Michele

Jun 22, 2012, 10:03:58 AM6/22/12
"FragSinatra" <per...@not.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> What exactly did Italy hope to gain by invading Ethiopia? Did
> Ethiopia have any natural resources of note?

Nominally, the intention was to gain territory. The Ethiopian highlands were
reasonably fertile, and Italy wanted "a place in the sun" were to send
farming colonist families.
Note that there might have been some economic potential to the region. The
French had achieved economic penetration from their Somaliland, and built a
rail line from Djibouti up the highland.
Additionally, as others mentioned, there was the issue of avenging the
defeat of a half century earlier.
But most importantly, Mussolini wanted that.

> Also, where did Italy launch its invasion of Ethiopia from? Where
> was their jumping off point? I'm assuming it wasn't an amphibious invasion
> launched from Italy.

You can look up Wikipedia for such basic factual questions.

Note that while another poster wrote that the League of Nations did nothing
about the Italian aggression, actually economic sanctions were approved.
They had an impact on the italian economy, but more importantly they
cemented the Italian population support for the regime. France and Britain
were depicted as wealthy empires because they already had colonies, who did
not want to let Italy conquer her own. Approval for fascism had been
stagnating in the early 30s, but now it grew.

> Was Italy forced to pull its military forces out of Ethiopia in WW2
> with the invasion of the Soviet Union or alternatively, when the UK began
> contesting axis control of N. Africa?

Italian forces were defeated in a sideshow campaign that lasted until the
end of 1941, by British forces moving in from Sudan and Kenya. The Italian
troops down there had been not prepared for war, were cut off from the
motherland and from supplies, lacked transportation while having to defende
an immense territory.

Michele

Jun 22, 2012, 10:04:22 AM6/22/12
"Mario" <ack...@ack.ack> ha scritto nel messaggio

>> No: Italy captured British Somaliland in 1940 and invaded
>> Kenya.
>

> Kenya?

Well, border regions of it. Moyale and Buna. Ditto for limited advances into
Sudan: Kassala was not far from the border. Only British Somaliland was
entirely conquered.

Rich Rostrom

Jun 22, 2012, 10:12:56 PM6/22/12
Bill Shatzer <ww...@NOcornell.edu> wrote:

> Some of the Italian Ethiopian forces retreated to Eritrea and Somolia
> where they ultimately met the same fate. I believe the last holdouts
> surrendered in late 1941.

The British forces conquered Somalia and Eritrea
first. Somaliland, being open country along the
coast, went first and quickly.

Eritrea was more difficult; the British forces
had to advance from inland Sudan through mountain
country. There was an extended battle at Keren
in western Eritrea. When Keren fell, the British
quickly overran most of Eritrea, including
the Red Sea port of Massawa.

Clearing Eritrea was the first priority of the
British forces, because the supply line to
Egypt ran through the Red Sea. There were Italian
ships and submarines at Massawa which threatened
this route.

Once Eritrea and Somaliland were secured, the
British marched on Ethiopia from north and
south. Addis Ababa fell to the Somaliland
column on 6 April. The main Italian force
withdrew northward to Amba Alagi. In May
this force was besieged, and surrendered
18 May.

Assab, a port in eastern Eritrea, was taken
from the sea on 10 June.

Various Italian detachments in outlying
areas held out for several additional
months. The last force to surrender was at
Gondar in NW Ethiopia, on 27 November.
--
The real Velvet Revolution - and the would-be hijacker.

http://originalvelvetrevolution.com