C.P. Addition: Isolde le Rous, wife of Walter de Balun and Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley

Douglas Richardson

Dec 17, 2017, 5:15:10 AM12/17/17
Dear Newsgroup ~

Isolde (died 1338), wife successively of Sir Walter de Balun (died 1287) and Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley (died 1325) is claimed in many secondary sources to have been a member of Mortimer family. Two such sources which make the Mortimer claim include Complete Peerage 1 (1910): 347–348 (sub Audley) and James Horace Round, Studies in Peerage and Family History (1901): 206–209. While it is true that Isolde and her 1st husband, Sir Walter de Balun, had the manor of Arley, Staffordshire for the term of their lives by grant dated 1287 from Sir Edmund de Mortimer, such a grant does not necessarily mean, suggest, or imply that Isolde was a Mortimer. Beyond the numerous claims in print that Isolde was a Mortimer, I know of no contemporary evidence which supports this allegation.

What evidence we do have includes a contemporary inquisition dated 1326, which indicates that the manor of Eastington, Gloucestershire was settled on Sir Walter de Balun and Isolde his wife for life, and the heirs of her body. Following Sir Walter de Balun's death, Isolde and her 2nd husband, Sir Hugh de Audley, were afterwards seised of this manor. A pertinent part of the 1326 inquisition is copied below:

"Gloucestershire. — The Jurors find that Walter de Balun and Isolda his wife, by proceeding in the King's Court at Gloucester, had settled the Manor of Eastington on himself for life, and upon Isolda his wife and the heirs of her body. That by the operation of such settlement they had seisin of this Manor during the life of the said Walter, and then Isolda had seisin thereof as his widow, and that Isolda and Hugh d'Audley were also seised thereof, until the fifteenth of the present King, when the Manor passed into the King's hands as forfeited by the treason of the said Hugh d'Audley, and still continues in such custody. That the Manor was held of the heirs of Nicholas de Merley by half a Knights-fee, and was of the annual value of £20 15s." END OF QUOTE.

Reference: Duncumbe, Collections Towards the History and Antiquities of the County of Hereford 3 (1882): 7, which may be viewed at the following weblink:

https://books.google.com/books?id=0zxAAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA7

The above record proves that Isolde had the manor of Eastington, Gloucestershire settled on her and her heirs before the death of her first husband, Sir Walter de Balun. As such, in her 1st widowhood, she would have held claim to the manor of Eastington, Gloucestershire in her own right, not by right of dower.

In recent time, I have located a Common Pleas record dated 1289 which proves that Isolde was the daughter of Sir Roger le Rous [died 1294], of Harescombe and Duntisbourne, Gloucestershire, Sheriff of Gloucestershire, 1278–79, Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1293–94, Knight of the Shire for Gloucestershire, 1283, Knight of the Shire for Herefordshire, 1290, itinerant judge, by his wife, Eleanor de Avenbury.

Below is an abstract of this lawsuit:

In 1289 Isolde daughter of Roger le Rus sued Reynold de Balun in the Court of Common Pleas regarding the manor of Eastington, Gloucestershire, which she claimed as her right. Reference: Court of Common Pleas, CP40/78, image 650f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no78/aCP40no78fronts/IMG_0650.htm).

The plaintiff above is Isolde "daughter of Roger le Rus" who can only be Isolde, widow of Sir Walter de Balun, who then held the manor of Eastington, Gloucestershire in her own right. The defendant was Sir Walter de Balun's nephew and heir, Reynold de Balun. Isolde was presumably seeking a release from her late husband's nephew to any claim he might have to the manor of Eastington, Gloucestershire. A similar lawsuit was lodged against Reginald de Balun regarding Isolde's dower rights in Much Marcle, Herefordshire. See Year Books of Edward I: Years XX & XXI 1 (Rolls Ser. 31a) (1866): 128–129, 142-146, which may be viewed at the following weblink:

https://books.google.com/books?id=T8tCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA128

https://books.google.com/books?id=T8tCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA142

The second item commencing on page 142 states that Walter de Balun and his wife, Isolde, were enfeoffed with the manor of Much Marcle, Herefordshire by Roger le Rous (Isolde's father).

For interest's sake, below is a list of the numerous 17th Century New World immigrants that descend from Isolde le Rous and her 2nd husband, Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley:

Robert Abell, Elizabeth Alsop, William Asfordby, Charles Barnes, Dorothy Beresford, Richard & William Bernard, William Bladen, George & Nehemiah Blakiston, Thomas Booth, Elizabeth Bosvile, George, Giles & Robert Brent, Charles Calvert, Edward Carleton, Grace Chetwode, St. Leger Codd, James Cudworth, Francis Dade, Humphrey Davie, Frances, Jane & Katherine Deighton, Edward Digges, Robert Drake, William Farrer, John Fenwick, Henry Fleete, Edward Foliot, Muriel Gurdon, Elizabeth & John Harleston, Warham Horsmanden, Hannah, Samuel & Sarah Levis, Thomas Ligon, Nathaniel Littleton, Thomas Lloyd, Thomas Lunsford, Agnes Mackworth, Anne, Elizabeth & John Mansfield, Anne & Katherine Marbury, Anne Mauleverer, Richard More, John and Margaret Nelson, Philip & Thomas Nelson, Robert Peyton, Henry & William Randolph, George Reade, William Rodney, Thomas Rudyard, Katherine Saint Leger, Richard Saltonstall, William Skepper, Mary Johanna Somerset, Samuel & William Torrey, Margaret Touteville, Olive Welby, Hawte Wyatt, Amy Wyllys.

If you descend from Isolde le Rous, I'd appreciate it greatly if you would post your line of descent(s) from this lady here on the newsgroup.

Patrick Nielsen Hayden

Dec 17, 2017, 8:37:12 AM12/17/17
Thank you for this, Douglas.

In "Haresfield: Manors and Church" by J. Melland Hall, Transactions of
the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society for 1894-95,
volume XIX, page 279, the Rev. Hall describes Maud of Avenbury, second
wife of Humphrey de Bohun who died in 1275, as "a member of a family
connected with that of Le Rus, or Rous, lords of Harescombe and
Alansmore."

A later volume of the abovenamed Transactions, volume 41 part 2, 1919,
contains an unattributed "Proceedings at the Autumnal Meeting, at
Cirencester," in which the father of Eleanor de Avenbury, wife of Roger
le Rous, is given as Henry de Avenbury of Herefordshire, died 1250.

Do you or anyone else reading this have any clue as to how how Eleanor
and Maud might have been related, and what evidence exists for the
father of Eleanor being this Henry?

--
Patrick Nielsen Hayden
http://nielsenhayden.com

Jordan Vandenberg

Dec 17, 2017, 9:12:59 AM12/17/17
Douglas,

Thanks for this post on Isolde le Rous. You didn't list him on your list of of NWI ancestors she is ancestor to, but I believe Isolde le Rous and her husband Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley are also ancestors of NWI Joseph Bolles.

The line that I have for this connection is:

Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley = Isolde le Rous
Alice de Audley = Ralph de Greystoke, 1st Baron Greystoke
William de Greystoke, 2nd Lord Greystoke = Joan FitzHenry
Ralph Greystoke, 3rd Lord Greystoke = Katherine de Clifford
Maud de Greystoke = Eudes de Welles
Lionel Welles K.G., 6th Lord Welles = Joan Waterton
Sir Thomas Dymoke, of Scrivelsby = Margaret Welles
Sir Lionel Dymoke = Joan Griffith
Anne Dymoke = John Goodrick, of Kirby
Lionel (Lyon) Goodrick, Esq. of East Kirby = Winifred Sapcote
Anne Goodrick = Benjamin Bolles, of Osberton
Thomas Bolles, of Osberton = Elizabeth Perkins
Joseph Bolles

Thanks again for the post and the identification of the parents of Isolde le Rous.

Jordan Vandenberg.

Jordan Vandenberg

Dec 17, 2017, 10:33:55 AM12/17/17
Patrick,

The only thing I can find that might give another clue about the Avenbury's is in this feet of fines regarding 1 messuage and 2 carucates of land in Hagurnel Mundefeld. It seems to show that there is a connection between Eleanor de Avenbury and a Roger de Avenbury.

CP 25/1/81/18, number 46.
Link: Image of document at AALT
County: Herefordshire.
Place: Westminster.

Date: Two weeks from St John the Baptist, 9 Edward I [8 July 1281].

Parties: Roger Le Rus and Eleanor, his wife, querents, by Reynold le Chapeler, put in the place of Roger, and Roger de Auenbur', impedient, by William le Cris, put in his place.

Property: 1 messuage and 2 carucates of land in Hagurnel Mundefeld'.
Action: Plea.

Agreement: Roger de Auenebur' has acknowledged the tenement to be the right of Roger le Rus. For this, Roger le Rus and Eleanor have granted to Roger de Auenebur' the tenement, to hold to Roger de Auenbur', of Roger le Rus and Eleanor and the heirs of Roger le Rus for the life of Roger de Auenebur', rendering yearly 8 pence at the feast of St Michael, and doing to the chief lords all other services. And after the decease of Roger de Auenebur' the tenement shall revert to Roger le Rus and Eleanor and the heirs of Roger le Rus, quit of the heirs of Roger de Auenebur', to hold of the chief lords for ever.
Warranty: Warranty by Roger le Rus and Eleanor and the heirs of Roger le Rus.

Persons: Roger Le Rous, Eleanor Le Rous, Reynold le Chapler, Roger de Avenbury, William le Cris

Places: Munderfield (in Avenbury and Bromyard)

http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/fines/abstracts/CP_25_1_81_18.shtml

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT7/CP25(1)/CP25_1_81_17-27/IMG_0111.htm

Is there research to date that establishes any of the ancestry of Sir Roger le Rous and Eleanor de Avenbury, the parents of Isolde de Rous?

Regards,
Jordan Vandenberg.

Paulo Canedo

Dec 17, 2017, 10:46:59 AM12/17/17
Dear Jordan, are you a descendant of that immigrant?

John Watson

Dec 17, 2017, 12:35:27 PM12/17/17
On Sunday, 17 December 2017 10:15:10 UTC, Douglas Richardson wrote:

> The above record proves that Isolde had the manor of Eastington, Gloucestershire settled on her and her heirs before the death of her first husband, Sir Walter de Balun. As such, in her 1st widowhood, she would have held claim to the manor of Eastington, Gloucestershire in her own right, not by right of dower.

Dear Douglas,

Roger le Rous settled the manor of Eastington on Walter de Balun and Isolde in June 1287:

8 June 1287, 15 Edward I, Gloucester. One week from Trinity. Walter de Balun and Isolda his wife, querents, by Walter de la More in Walter de Balun's place, Roger le Rouse (Rous), deforciant. The manor of Eastington (Esteneston). (Covenant.) Right of Roger, as in demesnes, homages, advowsons of churches, rents, services of free men, villeinages with the villeins holding them and their families, wards, reliefs, escheats, woods, meadows, pastures, waters, ponds, mills, and all else. For this, grant to Walter and Isolda. To hold to them and Isolda's heirs.
Feet of Fines: CP 25/1/75/33, number 100.
C. R. Elrington, ed., Abstracts of Feet of Fines relating to Gloucestershire, 1199-1299, Gloucestershire Record Series, 16 (2003), 183, no. 890.

Best regards,

John

John Watson

Dec 17, 2017, 2:03:00 PM12/17/17
Douglas,

On a genealogical note. Reynold (Reginald) de Balun was Walter's brother, not his nephew.

28 November 1288, Enrolment of deed of Reginald de Balun, brother and heir of Sir Walter de Balun, witnessing that whereas he granted to Robert, bishop of Bath and Wells, and to Philip Burnell, his nephew, the manor of Great Chevrel, with the advowson of the church of the same, for their lives, he now grants to them the said manor and advowson: to hold to them and their heirs of the chief lords of the fee, rendering to Reginald a rose at Midsummer. As they have seisin thereof by the first deed for life, he releases the manor and advowson to them for ever. Witnesses: Sir Thomas de Rus, Alexander de Cheverel, Peter de la Mare, knights; Peter de Lavynton, Simon le Free, John de Wodebrigg., Richard le Heir. Dated on Thursday the feast of St. Katherine, 17 Edward.
Calendar of Close Rolls, Edward I, vol. 3: 1288-1296 (1904), 30.

Regards,

John

Steve Riggan

Dec 17, 2017, 2:53:35 PM12/17/17
to Jordan Vandenberg, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
Thanks for this information, Douglas. Like Jordan, I also descend from the Audley/Rous line via the Dymokes.

Sir Lionel Dymoke = Joan Griffith
Alice Dymoke = Sir William Skipwith of South Ormsby, Lincolnshire
Henry Skipwith, Esq = Jane Hall
Sir William Skipwith = Margaret Cave (niece of William Cecil, 1st Lord Burghley)
Sir Henry Skipwith, 1st Bt. = Amy Kempe
Diana Skipwith = Maj. Edward Dale (both immigrants to Virginia)
Elizabeth Dale (youngest daughter) = William Rogers

Sent from my iPhone
-------------------------------

Steve Riggan

Dec 17, 2017, 2:56:49 PM12/17/17
to Jordan Vandenberg, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
On the Skipwith post I forgot to sign off. Apologies.

Steve Riggan

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 17, 2017, at 11:53 AM, Steve Riggan <sri...@hotmail.com<mailto:sri...@hotmail.com>> wrote:

Thanks for this information, Douglas. Like Jordan, I also descend from the Audley/Rous line via the Dymokes.

Sir Lionel Dymoke = Joan Griffith
Alice Dymoke = Sir William Skipwith of South Ormsby, Lincolnshire
Henry Skipwith, Esq = Jane Hall
Sir William Skipwith = Margaret Cave (niece of William Cecil, 1st Lord Burghley)
Sir Henry Skipwith, 1st Bt. = Amy Kempe
Diana Skipwith = Maj. Edward Dale (both immigrants to Virginia)
Elizabeth Dale (youngest daughter) = William Rogers

Sent from my iPhone

-------------------------------

Douglas Richardson

Dec 17, 2017, 6:48:41 PM12/17/17
Dear John ~

Thank you for your posts. Much appreciated.

I believe you are correct that Reynold de Balun was Walter's brother. I actually had Reynold de Balun as Walter's brother in my original draft.

However, the Year Book entry I provided in my post specifically states that Walter was Reynold's uncle. So I changed my post to reflect that evidence.

In this case, I trust the deed you've cited over the Year Book entry. I've known for some time that there are various irregularites in the Year Books. For example, Isolde, wife of Walter de Balun and Hugh de Audley, is inexpicably called "Jone" in the same Year Book entry. She is Isolde in all other contemporary records which I have seen of her, including the Common Pleas lawsuit which I found. How such errors crept into the Year Books, I can not say.

Sincerely, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah

Douglas Richardson

Dec 17, 2017, 7:20:23 PM12/17/17
Dear Jordan ~

Thank you for your posts. Much appreciated.

You're quite correct. The immigrant Joseph Bolles is in fact a descendant of Isolde le Rous and her 2nd husband, Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley. Thank you for posting your line of descent from her.

For interest's sake, below is an updated and expanded list of the numerous 17th Century New World immigrants that descend from Isolde le Rous and Sir Hugh de Audley:

Robert Abell, Elizabeth Alsop, William Asfordby, Charles Barnes, Dorothy Beresford, Richard & William Bernard, Essex Beville, William Bladen, George & Nehemiah Blakiston, Joseph Bolles, Thomas Booth, Elizabeth Bosvile, George, Giles & Robert Brent, Stephen Bull, Charles Calvert, Edward Carleton, Grace Chetwode, St. Leger Codd, William Crymes, James Cudworth, Francis Dade, Humphrey Davie, Frances, Jane & Katherine Deighton, Edward Digges, Robert Drake, William Farrer, John Fenwick, John Fisher, Henry Fleete, Edward Foliot, Muriel Gurdon, Elizabeth & John Harleston, Warham Horsmanden, Anne Humphrey, Mary Launce, Hannah, Samuel & Sarah Levis, Thomas Ligon, Nathaniel Littleton, Thomas Lloyd, Thomas Lunsford, Agnes Mackworth, Anne, Elizabeth & John Mansfield, Anne & Katherine Marbury, Anne Mauleverer, Richard More, Joseph & Mary Need, John and Margaret Nelson, Philip & Thomas Nelson, John Oxenbridge, Herbert Pelham, Robert Peyton, William & Elizabeth Pole, Henry & William Randolph, George Reade, William Rodney, Thomas Rudyard, Katherine Saint Leger, Richard Saltonstall, William Skepper, Diana & Grey Skipwith, Mary Johanna Somerset, John Stockman, Samuel & William Torrey, Margaret Touteville, Olive Welby, John West, Hawte Wyatt, Amy Wyllys.

Paulo Canedo

Dec 17, 2017, 7:43:40 PM12/17/17
Dear Douglas, very good find, thanks.
That also disproves Ravilious's theory, of which I myself was a supporter, that Isolda was a de Bohun. We must look elsewhere for the explanation of Isolda's descendants using the swan badge.

Douglas Richardson

Dec 17, 2017, 10:40:00 PM12/17/17
Dear Patrick, Jordan, John, etc. ~

Below are two records taken from the online Discovery catalogue.

The first record is a grant dated 1290 witnessed by Isolde le Rous's father, Sir Roger le Rous [died 1294], who occurs here as lord of Allensmore, Herefordshire.

The second record below is a debt owed in 1310 to Lady Eleanor, widow of Roger le Rous.

Given there are so many people who descend from Isolde le Rous, I'd very much like to see more lines of descent from Isolde le Rous posted by newsgroup members.

Reviewing my ancestry, I see that I descend from Isolde le Rous' brother, John le Rous, through the New World immigrant, Agnes (Harris) (Spencer) Edwards, of Connecticut. Also my children descend through their mother from Isolde's sister, Eleanor le Rous, wife of Herbert Fitz John, Knt. [died 1321].

+ + + + + + + +

1. Gift (1) William de la Calewe de Deuswelle (2) John Bitter Consideration: 5 marks...
This record is held by Herefordshire Archive and Records Centre
See contact details
Reference: AD2/II/91
Gift

(1) William de la Calewe de Deuswelle

(2) John Bitter

Consideration: 5 marks of silver

12. land and rents as purchased from William de Trompeton and his wife, in the fee of Wormeton. viz. 4d. p.a. for land which John de Lynne holds, 2d. p.a. for land which Thomas of Acornebury holds, and 4d. p.a. for land which Elyas le Winkar holds.

Paying lobol of silver p.a.

Warranty.

Witnesses: Sir Thomas Petit, Sir Roger le Rus, Lord of Allensmore (Mora Alani) Kns., William Butter, William Mangaunt, Hugh Helle, Stephen Tinctor: John ad fontem.

1 seal, black.

Date: N.D. c.1290
+ + + + + + + +

2. Reference: C 241/61/96

Debtor: Richard Bardulf, of Hereford.

Creditor: Lady Eleanor, who was the wife of Roger le Rous.

Amount: £22.

Before whom: William Goodknave; John Lightfoot, Clerk; at Hereford.

First term: 25/07/1308

Last term: 15/08/1308

Writ to: Sheriff of Herefords

Sent by: William Goodknave; John Lightfoot, Clerk; at Hereford.

Endorsement: Hereford'.

Date: 1308 Sep 21
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record(s)
Language: Latin

Jordan Vandenberg

Dec 17, 2017, 11:52:09 PM12/17/17
I came across some information on Roger le Rous in Transactions - Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society by Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society (linked below).

https://archive.org/stream/transactionsbris10bris#page/78/mode/2up

It mentions that Roger le Rous also held Alansmore for half a fee, and that the name of the manor was taken from his ancestor Alan Fitz Mayn. It also mentions that Eleanor de Avenbury survived her husband by more than 19 years.

Regards,
Jordan Vandenberg.

Jordan Vandenberg

Dec 18, 2017, 12:17:46 AM12/18/17
Collections Towards the History and Antiquities of the County of Hereford ... by By John Duncumb, William Cooke, Morgan George Watkins, John Hobson Matthews has some information on the parish of Avensbury, as well as the some early ancestors of the family (beginning on page 16) . It makes mention of Alianora le Rous, and John le Rous, but there is no identified connection between the earlier Avenbury ancestors and Eleanor.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=q2c-AQAAMAAJ&lpg=PA27&ots=Me4-5Nw7di&dq=%22le%20Rous%22%20avenbury&pg=PA16#v=onepage&q=%22le%20Rous%22%20avenbury&f=false

Regards,
Jordan.

Douglas Richardson

Dec 18, 2017, 12:57:19 AM12/18/17
Dear Patrick, Jordan, John, etc. ~

There is a full article in print on the extended family of Isolde le Rous published in Transactions of the Bristol & Gloucestershire Archaeological Society 10 (1885–86): 109–130. This article can be viewed at the following weblink:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433066656731;view=1up;seq=135

The article includes a pedigree of the le Rous family on page 123, which may be viewed at the following weblink:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433066656731;view=1up;seq=149

The pedigree shows that Sir Roger le Rous and his wife, Eleanor de Avenbury, had two sons, John and Roger, clerk, and one daughter, Eleanor (wife of Herbert Fitz John). No mention is made of their daughter, Isolde, wife of Walter de Balun, Knt., and Hugh de Audley, Knt., Lord Audley.

As I indicated in my last post, I descend from Sir Roger le Rous' son and heir, John le Rous, Knt., whereas my children descend from Sir Roger le Rous' daughter, Eleanor, wife of Herbert Fitz John, Knt.

Steve Riggan

Dec 18, 2017, 1:17:16 AM12/18/17
to Douglas Richardson, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
Douglas, since you asked for our lines from Isolde le Rous, I forgot to post the others besides Diana Skipwith’s, so give you all three, including hers again. I descend from Diana Skipwith and Thomas Ligon through my mother while my father descended from William Farrar. Here are the lineages from Isolde le Rous:

Hugh de Audley, Baron Audley of Stratton Audley = Isolde le Rous
Hugh de Audley, Earl of Gloucester = Margaret de Clare (Edward I descent)
Margaret de Audley = Hugh de Stafford, 2nd Baron Stafford and 1st Earl of Stafford
Hugh de Stafford, 2nd Earl of Stafford = Philippa de Beauchamp
Catherine de Stafford = Michael de la Pole, 2nd Earl of Suffolk
Isabel de la Pole = Thomas Morley, 5th Baron Morley
Anne Morley = John Hastings, de jure 9th Lord Hastings (Edward I descent)
Elizabeth Hastings = Sir Robert Hildyard
Catherine Hildyard = William Girlington of Normanby
Isabel Girlington = Christopher Kelke of Barnetby-le-Wold, Lincolnshire (Edward III descent)
William Kelke = Thomasine Skerne
Cecily Kelke = John Farrar of Ewood and Brearley, Yorkshire
William Farrar (immigrant to VA) = Mrs. Cecily Jordan
William Kelke = Mary (Baugh?)
Thomas Farrar = Katherine Perrin
John Farrar = wife’s name unknown
John Farrar = Elizabeth Lyon
Jean Farrar = Abraham Moore
William Moore = Penelope Cobb
Jane Farrar Moore = Robert A. Smith
James Buchanan Smith = Georgiana S. W. Cavender
Robert A. Smith = Laura Nutt
Laura Mae Smith = Roy Riggan
James E. Riggan = Barbara A. Yancey (see her lines below)
Steve Riggan (me)

Elizabeth de Stafford (sister of Hugh, 2nd Earl of Stafford, above) = John de Ferrers, 4th Lord Ferrers of Chartley
Robert de Ferrers, 5th Lord Ferrers of Chartley = Margaret Despenser (Edward I descent)
Edmund de Ferrers, 6th Lord Ferrers of Chartley = Ellen Roche
Margaret de Ferrers = John Beauchamp, 1st Baron Beauchamp of Powick
Richard Beauchamp, 2nd Lord Beauchamp of Powick = Elizabeth Stafford
Anne Beauchamp = Sir Richard Lygon of Madresfield, Worcestershire
Sir Richard Lygon of Madresfield = Margaret Greville
William Lygon of Madresfield = Eleanor Dennis (Edward I descent)
Thomas Lygon = Frances Dennis (Edward I descent)
Thomas Lygon = Elizabeth Pratt
Col. Thomas Lygon/Ligon (immigrant to VA) = Mary Harris
Richard Ligon = Mary Worsham
Sarah Ligon = Richard Grills
John Grills = Philadelphia (last name unknown) (also ancestors of former soc.gen.med member Brice Clagett)
Elliott Grills = Mary Cox
William Dudley Grills = Huldah Julian
Huldah Cox Grills = William C. Pitts
Laura Alice Pitts = Elmer S. Webb (see line below)
Vernene Webb = Hobert A. Yancey
Barbara A. Yancey = James Riggan (see line above)
Steve Riggan

Alice de Audley (daughter of Sir Hugh de Audley and Isolde le Rous) = Ralph de Greystoke, 1st Baron Greystoke
William de Greystoke, 2nd Lord Greystoke = Joan FitzHenry
Ralph de Greystoke, 3rd Lord Greystoke = Catherine de Clifford
Maud de Clifford = Eudes de Welles (Edward I descent)
Lionel de Welles, 6th Lord Welles = Joan de Waterton
Margaret de Welles = Sir Philip Dymoke, 14th King’s Champion
Sir Lionel Dymoke = Joan Griffith
Alice Dymoke = Sir William Skipwith of South Ormsby, Lincolnshire (Edward I descent)
Henry Skipwith, Esq. = Jane Hall (Edward I descent)
Sir William Skipwith of Cotes, Leicestershire = Margaret Cave (niece of William Cecil, 1st Baron Burghley)
Sir Henry Skipwith, 1st Baronet of Prestwold, Leicestershire = Amy Kempe (Edward I descent)
Diana Skipwith (immigrant to VA) = Maj. Edward Dale
Elizabeth Dale = William Rogers
Hannah Rogers = Edward Blakemore
John Blakemore = Anne Tomlin
Elizabeth Blakemore = Elmore Douglass
Delia Douglass = Elias Brooks
Elizabeth Brooks = James C. Moore
Amanda Moore = William H. Rains
Sarah Elizabeth Rains = Enoch Webb
Elmer S. Webb = Laura Alice Pitts (see line above)
Vernene Webb = Hobert A. Yancey
Barbara A. Yancey = James E. Riggan (see first line above)
Steve Riggan

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,
Steve Riggan

Steve Riggan

Dec 18, 2017, 1:24:42 AM12/18/17
to Douglas Richardson, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
I see I made a couple errors in my lines below. That’s the problem with doing these by memory!! William “Kelke” married to Mary Baugh in Virginia is supposed to be William Farrar. In the Dymoke line of the Skipwiths, I listed Margaret de Welles’ husband as Sir Philip Dymoke and it should be Sir Thomas Dymoke, 14th King’s Champion. My apologies if this has confused anyone familiar with these lines.

Steve Riggan

Sent from my iPad

Tompkins, Matthew (Dr.)

Dec 18, 2017, 5:29:45 AM12/18/17
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
>> Thank you for your posts. Much appreciated.
>>
>> I believe you are correct that Reynold de Balun was Walter's brother. I actually had Reynold de Balun as Walter's brother in my original draft.
>>
>> However, the Year Book entry I provided in my post specifically states that Walter was Reynold's uncle. So I changed my post to reflect that evidence.
>>
>> In this case, I trust the deed you've cited over the Year Book entry. I've known for some time that there are various irregularites in the Year Books. For example, Isolde, wife of Walter de Balun and Hugh de Audley, is inexpicably called "Jone" in the same Year Book entry. She is Isolde in all other contemporary records which I have seen of her, including the Common Pleas lawsuit which I found. How such errors crept into the Year Books, I can not say.

-------------------------------
Year Books weren't official case reports, they were just manuscript collections of notes made by student lawyers for their own personal use while sitting in the courts listening and learning. They were principally interested in the legal issues raised, for which purpose the names of the individual parties to the suits were not really relevant. Frequently the names were not even recorded.

It can be an interesting exercise to try to identify the individuals and places mentioned in Year Book reports. Here is one I did a few years ago:

https://ipm-dev.cch.kcl.ac.uk/blog/ipms-and-the-year-books-radcliffe-v-dynelay-1424/

Medieval genealogists, with their detailed knowledge of the land-owning elite and their estates, must be specially qualified to solve these puzzles. Perhaps one day an inter-disciplinary project of legal historians and medieval genealogists should be set up to do this.

Matt Tompkins.

John Watson

Dec 18, 2017, 6:17:23 AM12/18/17
Dear Douglas,

I think that I can add a little to the Rous pedigree. The widow of Henry le Rous was named Hawise or Helewise. She presented to the church of Duntisbourne Rouse, Gloucestershire in October 1268. Duntisbourne was one of the Rous family holdings.

16 October 1268, Gift in commendam to Hopton (sic), rector of the church of Glonnegunford [Clungunford], in the diocese of Hereford, of the church of Duntesburn, of which Helewysa, widow of Henry le Rus, is patron. Dated at London, Tuesday before the feast of St. Luke the apostle and evangelist, 1268.
J. W. Willis Bund, The Register of Bishop Godfrey Giffard, vol. 1, Worcestershire Historical Society (1902), 13.

Regards,

John

Jordan Vandenberg

Dec 18, 2017, 9:24:41 AM12/18/17
Good day,

In Ancient Facts and Fictions Concerning Churches and Tithes by Roundell Palmer, Earl of Selborne there is a translated passage (pages 354-355) which describes a composition dated from 1181 between Roger, Prior of Llanthony and Roger Fitz Alan. Within the passage Roger Fitz Alan is stated to be the son of Alan Fitz Mayn. This supports that relationship in the pedigree found by Douglas.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=1jZZAAAAMAAJ&lpg=PA354&ots=c1i7PIHpFH&dq=%22roger%20fitz%20alan%22%20harescombe&pg=PA354#v=onepage&q=%22roger%20fitz%20alan%22%20harescombe&f=false

Take care,
Jordan Vandenberg.

Patrick Nielsen Hayden

Dec 19, 2017, 3:10:02 AM12/19/17
On 2017-12-18 05:57:17 +0000, Douglas Richardson said:

> Dear Patrick, Jordan, John, etc. ~
>
> There is a full article in print on the extended family of Isolde le
> Rous published in Transactions of the Bristol & Gloucestershire
> Archaeological Society 10 (1885–86): 109–130. This article can be
> viewed at the following weblink:
>
> https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433066656731;view=1up;seq=135
>
> The article includes a pedigree of the le Rous family on page 123,
> which may be viewed at the following weblink:
>
> https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433066656731;view=1up;seq=149

As a side note, that article says that in 1283, Roger le Rous was a
knight of the shire for Gloucestershire. A footnote to this statement
says that "it is singular that this particular return is supposed to be
the only existing record of those present at that Parliament, which met
at Shrewsbury, 30th Sep. 1283, one of its results being the execution
of Prince David."

I don't know whether it's actually true that this return is the "only
existing record of those present at that Parliament", but it's worth
noting that the 1283 parliament has been claimed to be the first at
which the peerage sat in one house and the shire knights and burgesses
in another. According to some accounts, following the (lengthy and
grisly) execution of Dafydd, Parliament removed a few miles south to
Acton Burnell, home of Edward I's chancellor Robert Burnell, and there
the "knights of the shire" made the constitutionally-consequential
decision to sit in a separate gathering alongside the town burgesses.
This has been claimed as the origin of the modern houses of Commons and
Lords. Mind you, I don't know how much of this is true and how much is
a good story drummed up by the locals of Acton Burnell.

Adrian

Dec 19, 2017, 2:37:43 PM12/19/17
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com

On 17/12/2017 10:15, Douglas Richardson wrote:
> Dear Newsgroup ~
>
> Isolde (died 1338), wife successively of Sir Walter de Balun (died 1287) and Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley (died 1325) is claimed in many secondary sources to have been a member of Mortimer family. Two such sources which make the Mortimer claim include Complete Peerage 1 (1910): 347–348 (sub Audley) and James Horace Round, Studies in Peerage and Family History (1901): 206–209. While it is true that Isolde and her 1st husband, Sir Walter de Balun, had the manor of Arley, Staffordshire for the term of their lives by grant dated 1287 from Sir Edmund de Mortimer, such a grant does not necessarily mean, suggest, or imply that Isolde was a Mortimer. Beyond the numerous claims in print that Isolde was a Mortimer, I know of no contemporary evidence which supports this allegation.
SNIP

Fromthe British History on line web site

Plea Rolls for Staffordshire: 21 Edward I [1291], Coram Rege Roll.
Michaelmas.

Staff. "In the suit of Quo warranto against Hugh de Audeleye and Isolda
his wife, who claimed pleas of the Crown and other franchises in Arleye,
Hugh and Isolda appeared in Court and stated they held the said manor
for the life of Isolda of the inheritance of Edmund de Mortimer, without
whom they cannot answer to the writ. ..."

 See:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/staffs-hist-collection/vol7/pt1/pp5-8

 Do you not think the term inheritance is quite good evidence that
Isolda was from the Mortimer family or has this been erroneously
translated/transcribed?

Adrian

Jordan Vandenberg

Dec 19, 2017, 4:14:09 PM12/19/17
After taking into account the evidence identifying an Isolde as a daughter of Roger le Rous and wife of Hugh de Audley, and looking at the previous post to this one, where Adrian has found a plea roll with an Isolde also as the wife of Hugh de Audley and appearing to possibly be a daughter of Edmund de Mortimer, is there a possibility that Hugh de Audley married two women named Isolde?

Does the chronology of what has been uncovered allow for this?

In the 1289 Common Plea identified by Douglas, is there doesn't seem to be any mention of Hugh de Audley. The plea roll Adrian identified dated from 1291.

I am curious as to whether others think this is a possibility.

Take care,
Jordan Vandenberg.

Tompkins, Matthew (Dr.)

Dec 19, 2017, 4:56:23 PM12/19/17
to Adrian, gen-me...@rootsweb.com
On 17/12/2017 10:15, Douglas Richardson wrote:

> Dear Newsgroup ~
>
> Isolde (died 1338), wife successively of Sir Walter de Balun (died 1287) and Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley (died 1325) is claimed in many secondary sources to have been a member of Mortimer family. Two such sources which make the Mortimer claim include Complete Peerage 1 (1910): 347–348 (sub Audley) and James Horace Round, Studies in Peerage and Family History (1901): 206–209. While it is true that Isolde and her 1st husband, Sir Walter de Balun, had the manor of Arley, Staffordshire for the term of their lives by grant dated 1287 from Sir Edmund de Mortimer, such a grant does not necessarily mean, suggest, or imply that Isolde was a Mortimer. Beyond the numerous claims in print that Isolde was a Mortimer, I know of no contemporary evidence which supports this allegation.
SNIP

>> Fromthe British History on line web site
>>
>> Plea Rolls for Staffordshire: 21 Edward I [1291], Coram Rege Roll.
Michaelmas.

>> Staff. "In the suit of Quo warranto against Hugh de Audeleye and Isolda
his wife, who claimed pleas of the Crown and other franchises in Arleye,
Hugh and Isolda appeared in Court and stated they held the said manor
for the life of Isolda of the inheritance of Edmund de Mortimer, without
whom they cannot answer to the writ. ..."

>> See:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/staffs-hist-collection/vol7/pt1/pp5-8

>> Do you not think the term inheritance is quite good evidence that
Isolda was from the Mortimer family or has this been erroneously
translated/transcribed?

>> Adrian

-------------------------------
on its face that Plea Roll entry suggests Isolde was the widowed mother of Edmund de Mortimer, remarried to Hugh Audley. But it would help to know more about the 'grant dated 1287 from Sir Edmund de Mortimer' mentioned by Douglas (and do we know who that the 'Sir Edmund Mortimer' was? - was he the father of the Edmund Mortimer in the 1291 Plea Roll entry.)

Matt Tompkins

Douglas Richardson

Dec 19, 2017, 5:39:30 PM12/19/17
Dear Adrian (and Jordan) ~

The 1291 lawsuit which you've cited basically states that Isolde de Audley held the property in question for life, and that the property was to revert to Edmund de Mortimer on her death. That is all.

The terminology "held ... of the inheritance of Edmund de Mortimer" does not suggest, mean, or imply that Isolde was a Mortimer or that Edmund de Mortimer was in any way her heir. In this case, Isolde held the life tenancy of this property by direct grant of Edmund de Mortimer which was made to Isolde and her deceased 1st husband, Sir Walter de Balun. On the deaths of Sir Walter and Isolde, the property was to revert to Edmund de Mortimer or his heirs. The words "held of the inheritance" is stock phraseology in lawsuits of this time period. In this case, it basically means that Edmund de Mortimer held the reversion of the life tenancy.

Such life grants (or leases) could be to a priest, steward, bailiff, or knight in the household of Edmund de Mortimer. Such life grants were common. They were not reserved for relatives. Had Isolde been holding the property in dower, one might suppose that she was the widow of a near relation of Edmund de Mortimer. However, in this case, Isolde held this property by direct grant of Edmund de Mortimer himself, so no dower right as a widow was involved. Had Isolde been holding this property in right of her dower (not life tenancy), this would typically be clearly stipulated in the lawsuit. No such stipulation is made in the 1291 lawsuit.

Douglas Richardson

Dec 19, 2017, 5:44:22 PM12/19/17
On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 2:14:09 PM UTC-7, Jordan Vandenberg wrote:
< After taking into account the evidence identifying an Isolde as a daughter of < Roger le Rous and wife of Hugh de Audley, and looking at the previous post to < this one, where Adrian has found a plea roll with an Isolde also as the wife
< of Hugh de Audley and appearing to possibly be a daughter of Edmund de
< Mortimer, is there a possibility that Hugh de Audley married two women named
< Isolde?

There is abundant evidence that Sir Hugh de Audley married Isolde, widow of Sir Walter de Balun. The plea roll which Adrian cited does not suggest, mean, or imply that Isolde was "possibly" the daughter of Edmund de Mortimer.

Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake Ciy, Utah

Jordan Vandenberg

Dec 19, 2017, 6:56:21 PM12/19/17
Douglas,

Thanks for clearing that up, and for clarifying the use of the terminology in the lawsuit.

Jordan.

Adrian

Dec 19, 2017, 7:00:06 PM12/19/17
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com

On 19/12/2017 19:37, Adrian wrote:

> On 17/12/2017 10:15, Douglas Richardson wrote:
>> Dear Newsgroup ~
>>
>> Isolde (died 1338), wife successively of Sir Walter de Balun (died
>> 1287) and Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley (died 1325) is claimed in
>> many secondary sources to have been a member of Mortimer family.  Two
>> such sources which make the Mortimer claim include Complete Peerage 1
>> (1910): 347–348 (sub Audley) and James Horace Round, Studies in
>> Peerage and Family History (1901): 206–209.  While it is true that
>> Isolde and her 1st husband, Sir Walter de Balun, had the manor of
>> Arley, Staffordshire for the term of their lives by grant dated 1287
>> from Sir Edmund de Mortimer, such a grant does not necessarily mean,
>> suggest, or imply that Isolde was a Mortimer.  Beyond the numerous
>> claims in print that Isolde was a Mortimer, I know of no contemporary
>> evidence which supports this allegation.
> SNIP
>
> Fromthe British History on line web site
>
> Plea Rolls for Staffordshire: 21 Edward I [1291], Coram Rege Roll.
> Michaelmas.
>
> Staff. "In the suit of Quo warranto against Hugh de Audeleye and
> Isolda his wife, who claimed pleas of the Crown and other franchises
> in Arleye, Hugh and Isolda appeared in Court and stated they held the
> said manor for the life of Isolda of the inheritance of Edmund de
> Mortimer, without whom they cannot answer to the writ. ..."
>
>  See:
> http://www.british-history.ac.uk/staffs-hist-collection/vol7/pt1/pp5-8
>
>  Do you not think the term inheritance is quite good evidence that
> Isolda was from the Mortimer family or has this been erroneously
> translated/transcribed?
>
> Adrian

Sorry, I put in the wrong year, I think Michaelmas 21 Ed I is 1293

Adrian

Douglas Richardson

Dec 19, 2017, 7:18:53 PM12/19/17
On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 2:56:23 PM UTC-7, Tompkins, Matthew (Dr.)

< on its face that Plea Roll entry suggests Isolde was the widowed mother of
< Edmund de Mortimer, remarried to Hugh Audley.

Dear Matt ~

This might be true if Isolde was holding the property named in the 1291 lawsuit as her dower. But the lawsuit does not state that. Indeed, Calendar of Close Rolls, 1323–1327 (1898): 467 clearly indicates that Isolde and her first husband, Walter de Balun, had the manor of Arley, Staffordshire as a life time grant of Edmund de Mortimer. Thus Isolde held Arley by grant, not by dower, in 1291.

The Close Rolls item may be viewed at the following weblink:

https://books.google.com/books?id=XgQOAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA467

Elsewhere I note that Duncumb states Sir Walter de Balun likewise "leased his Manor of Marcle [Herefordshire] for a term of years to Sir Edmund de Mortimer as a reserved rent ... Dying without issue ... his brother and heir, Reginald de Balun, claiming as tenant in tail, demanded possession of the Manor from Sir Edmund de Mortimer, notwithstanding his lease, and disputed the right of his brother’s widow to have one-third of the rents for her dower.” Reference: Duncumb et al., Collections Towards the History & Antiquities of Hereford 3 (1882): 5, which may be viewed at the following weblink:

https://books.google.com/books?id=t4gcAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA5

The cross grants of Arley and Marcle appear to be normal horse trading between two land owners, not the indication of a maritagium. Whatever the case, Arley was not held by Isolde in dower as you suggest.

Tompkins, Matthew (Dr.)

Dec 20, 2017, 3:13:42 AM12/20/17
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 2:56:23 PM UTC-7, Tompkins, Matthew (Dr.)

< on its face that Plea Roll entry suggests Isolde was the widowed mother of
< Edmund de Mortimer, remarried to Hugh Audley. But it would help to know more about the 'grant dated 1287 from Sir Edmund de Mortimer' mentioned by Douglas (and do we know who that the 'Sir Edmund Mortimer' was? - was he the father of the Edmund Mortimer in the 1291 Plea Roll entry.)

Dec 20, 2017, 12:16:05 PM12/20/17
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
The grant in 1287 by Edmund de Mortimer of life use of the manor of
Upper Arley to Walter and Isolde de Balun was apparently part of an
exchange, since at the same time Walter de Balun granted the manor of
Much Marcle to Edmund and Margaret de Mortimer.  I have updated my
"Timeline for Much Marcle (and Upper Arley)" to reflect Douglas's
discovery of Isolde's parentage.  The new version is at
donstonetech.com/IsoldeAudley/MuchMarcleTimeline11.pdf.

My timeline provides some background for various transactions.  The de
Baluns had been having significant financial difficulties and in this
period would usually sell a manor with the stipulation that it could be
bought back  (redeemed) for a specified sum.

As covered in my timeline, the manor of Cheverell was granted to Walter
de Balun and Joan [Iseult] by Roger de Rous sometime before 1292 “to
hold to them and to the heirs of Joan [Iseult],” and the manor of
Eastington was granted to Walter de Balun and Isolda by Roger de Rous in
1286/7 “to have to them and her heirs.”

Quoting from my timeline, "... since both Cheverell and Eastington had
been in the Balun family for a long time, they might have been sold by a
Balun to Roger de Rous (because of Balun financial difficulties), and
the two Roger Rous grants to Walter and Isolde Balun may have been
redemptions on easy terms, given that Walter had married Roger's daughter?"

 -- Don Stone

On 12/20/2017 3:13 AM, Tompkins, Matthew (Dr.) wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 19, 2017 at 2:56:23 PM UTC-7, Tompkins, Matthew (Dr.)
>
> < on its face that Plea Roll entry suggests Isolde was the widowed mother of
> < Edmund de Mortimer, remarried to Hugh Audley. But it would help to know more about the 'grant dated 1287 from Sir Edmund de Mortimer' mentioned by Douglas (and do we know who that the 'Sir Edmund Mortimer' was? - was he the father of the Edmund Mortimer in the 1291 Plea Roll entry.)

John Watson

Dec 20, 2017, 2:13:12 PM12/20/17
Hi Don,

In 1281, Walter de Balun was married to a lady named Joan, who was then aged 40 and more. Presumably Joan was his first wife and he married Isolde some time between 1281 and 1287.

See the inquisition post mortem of Geoffrey Gacelyn.
Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem, vol. 2, Edward I (1906), no. 422.
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/inquis-post-mortem/vol2/pp239-245

Regards,

John

Don Stone

Dec 22, 2017, 1:17:33 AM12/22/17
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
[My response to John is at the end, so that our conversation can be read
in chronological order from top to bottom.]

On 12/20/2017 2:13 PM, John Watson wrote:
> On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 17:16:05 UTC, Don Stone wrote:
>> The grant in 1287 by Edmund de Mortimer of life use of the manor of
>> Upper Arley to Walter and Isolde de Balun was apparently part of an
>> exchange, since at the same time Walter de Balun granted the manor of
>> Much Marcle to Edmund and Margaret de Mortimer.  I have updated my
>> "Timeline for Much Marcle (and Upper Arley)" to reflect Douglas's
>> discovery of Isolde's parentage.  The new version is at
>> donstonetech.com/IsoldeAudley/MuchMarcleTimeline11.pdf.
>>
>> My timeline provides some background for various transactions.  The de
>> Baluns had been having significant financial difficulties and in this
>> period would usually sell a manor with the stipulation that it could be
>> bought back  (redeemed) for a specified sum.
>>
>> As covered in my timeline, the manor of Cheverell was granted to Walter
>> de Balun and Joan [Iseult] by Roger de Rous sometime before 1292 “to
>> hold to them and to the heirs of Joan [Iseult],” and the manor of
>> Eastington was granted to Walter de Balun and Isolda by Roger de Rous in
>> 1286/7 “to have to them and her heirs.”
>>
>> Quoting from my timeline, "... since both Cheverell and Eastington had
>> been in the Balun family for a long time, they might have been sold by a
>> Balun to Roger de Rous (because of Balun financial difficulties), and
>> the two Roger Rous grants to Walter and Isolde Balun may have been
>> redemptions on easy terms, given that Walter had married Roger's daughter?"
>>
>>  -- Don Stone
> Hi Don,
>
> In 1281, Walter de Balun was married to a lady named Joan, who was then aged 40 and more. Presumably Joan was his first wife and he married Isolde some time between 1281 and 1287.
>
> See the inquisition post mortem of Geoffrey Gacelyn.
> Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem, vol. 2, Edward I (1906), no. 422.
> https://www.british-history.ac.uk/inquis-post-mortem/vol2/pp239-245
>
> Regards,
>
> John

Hi, John,

This matter of Joan or Isolde as wife or wives of Walter de Balun is a
tricky issue. Joan is still given as wife of Hugh de Audley in 1292 in
Year Books of the Reign of King Edward the First: Years XX-XXI (1866),
edited by Alfred John Horwood, p. 142, which relates to the manor of C.
[Cheverell] and says, "Hugh de Audele and Joan his wife brought a writ
of Dower against Reginald de Balon, and demanded the third part of the
manor of Marcle &c. —"
(https://books.google.com/books?id=q_QUAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA142&lpg=PA142#v=onepage&q&f=false).

In the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, vol. 116
(1962), "Two Mortimer Notes," Charles F. H. Evans says (pp. 16-7), "The
wife of Hugh Audley, and widow of Walter de Balun, is described as Jone
(not Isolt) in 1292 (Year Book, 20 Edward I); but elsewhere she is
called Isolt."

-- Don

John Watson

Dec 22, 2017, 2:07:56 AM12/22/17
Dear Don,

According to the inquisition post mortem which I linked in my previous post, Joan was aged "40 and more" in 1281.

Joan was unlikely to be the mother of Hugh de Audely's children who were born between 1288 and 1300.

Regarding the names in Year Books. See the earlier post in this thread by Matt Tompkins, "Year Books weren't official case reports, they were just manuscript collections of notes made by student lawyers for their own personal use while sitting in the courts listening and learning. They were principally interested in the legal issues raised, for which purpose the names of the individual parties to the suits were not really relevant. Frequently the names were not even recorded."

Regards,

John

taf

Dec 22, 2017, 7:46:25 AM12/22/17
On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 11:07:56 PM UTC-8, John Watson wrote:

> Regarding the names in Year Books. See the earlier post in this thread by
> Matt Tompkins, "Year Books weren't official case reports, they were just
> manuscript collections of notes made by student lawyers for their own personal
> use while sitting in the courts listening and learning. They were principally
> interested in the legal issues raised, for which purpose the names of the
> individual parties to the suits were not really relevant. Frequently the
> names were not even recorded."

Just to be sure I am following the argument, are you saying that since the names were unimportant we can dismiss any names given when the student opted to provide them?

taf

Hans Vogels

Dec 22, 2017, 8:09:08 AM12/22/17
Op vrijdag 22 december 2017 13:46:25 UTC+1 schreef taf:
Or the date of the notes (with regard to the yearbooks) does not matter as the examples could have been from years earlier?

Hans Vogels

Tompkins, Matthew (Dr.)

Dec 22, 2017, 5:38:30 PM12/22/17
to gen-me...@rootsweb.com
On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 11:07:56 PM UTC-8, John Watson wrote:

> Regarding the names in Year Books. See the earlier post in this thread by
> Matt Tompkins, "Year Books weren't official case reports, they were just
> manuscript collections of notes made by student lawyers for their own personal
> use while sitting in the courts listening and learning. They were principally
> interested in the legal issues raised, for which purpose the names of the
> individual parties to the suits were not really relevant. Frequently the
> names were not even recorded."

Dec 23, 2017, 3:52:13 AM12/23/17
Dear Newsgroup ~

The published Year Book for 20 Edward I [1292] appears to concern lawsuits recorded in the Herefordshire Eyre of the justices itinerant for that year. The 1292 eyre can be viewed by accessing it at the AALT website at the following weblink:

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/JUST1/JUST1_E1e.html

Go down to the year 1292, then go 4th column over for Herefordshire.

The title description on the first page of this eyre almost exactly matches the description of the eyre as found in the published yearbook.

The first page of the 1292 Herefordshire eyre may be found at the following weblink:

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/JUST1/JUST1no302/

I examined a few items from this eyre. I was unable to find the lawsuits which were discussed in the published Year Book. However, I did find the following item:

1. Roger le Rus acknowledged that he owed Laurence de Lodelawe a debt of £12 12s. 9d.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/JUST1/JUST1no302/aJUST1no302fronts/IMG_8193.htm

In a subsequent Justice Itinerant record dated Michaelmas term 1293, I found the following item:

Heref[ord]

Margareta ux Edmundi de Mortuo Mari v. Reginald de Balon John de Balon Hugone de Alditheleye Isolda ux eius Henr' de Preston & Laurencius de Lodelawe in a plea ...

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/JUST1/JUST1no304/aJUST1no304fronts/IMG_8990.htm

This item appears to be a summary of a lawsuit by Margaret wife (not widow) of Edmund de Mortimer against Reginald de Balon, John de Balon, Hugh de Audley and Isolde his wife, and two other parties.

Checking further I found the actual lawsuit a few images earlier at the following weblink:

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/JUST1/JUST1no304/aJUST1no304fronts/IMG_8983.htm

The specific lawsuit is dated Easter term 22 Edward I [1294].

It commences by saying that an assize was held to determine if Reynold de Balun, John de Balun, Hugh de Alditheleye [Audley] and Isolde his wife, Henry de Preston, and Laurence de Ludelowe unjustly disseised Edmund de Mortimer and Margaret his wife of his free tenement in Great Marcle, Herefordshire. Hugh de Audley came into court and stated that his wife Isolde held the third part of the said manor by her dower.

As we can see, Hugh de Audley's wife in 1294 was definitely named Isolde and she was surely the widow of Walter de Balun.

A few images nearby I also found another lawsuit dated Michaelmas term 22 Edward I [1294].

It commences by saying that an assize was held to determine if Henry de Solers, Reginald de Balun, and John de Balun unjustly disseised Edmund de Mortimer and Margaret his wife regarding his free tenement in Great Marcle, Herefordshire. Walter de Balun is mentioned in the subsequent discussion but no mention is made of Hugh de Audley and his wife, Isolde.

Here is the weblink for that lawsuit:

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/JUST1/JUST1no304/aJUST1no304fronts/IMG_8992.htm

I would advise that no one be confused by the various dates of these lawsuits, be it 1291, 1292, or 1294. Some lawsuits were continued from year to year and they can appear in more than one session.

celticp...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2017, 3:46:14 PM12/29/17
Dear Newsgroup ~

This past week I came across a Common Pleas lawsuit dated 1292 involving Isolde le Rus' brother-in-law, Reynold de Balun, and Edmund de Mortimer and Margaret his wife. The place involved is not stated, but I assume the lawsuit concerns the manor of Great Marcle, Herefordshire. Below is an abstract of that record.

In Hilary term 1292 Reynold de Balun sued Edmund de Mortimer and Margaret his wife in the Court of Common Pleas in a plea of land.

Reference: Court of Common Pleas, CP40/92, image 130f (available at
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no92/aCP40no92fronts/IMG_0130.htm).

The record below dated 1285 explains why Margaret de Fiennes, wife of Edmund de Mortimer, was involved in the later legal wrangling regarding the manor of Great Marcle, Herefordshire.

Byerly & Byerly, Records of the Wardrobe & Household 1285–1286 (1986): 4 [“xijo die Decembris [1285] Rogero de Stokes clerico eunti ap capiendam seysinam de manerio de Markel’ per perceptum regis de quo dominus Edmundus de Mortuo Mari feofabit uxorem suam, xxx s. unde respondebit.”).

It would be good to see more people post their descent from Isolde le Rus and her 2nd husband, Hugh de Audley, Knt., Lord Audley.

celticp...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2018, 2:54:23 PM1/17/18
Dear Newsgroup ~

Below is another Common Pleas lawsuit involving Isolde le Rous, wife of Hugh de Audley, Knt., Lord Audley. This lawsuit concerns Isolde's manor of Much Marcle, Herefordshire, which property was settled on Isolde and her 1st husband, Sir Walter de Balun, by her father, Sir Roger le Rous.

In Hilary term 1330 Isolde, widow of Hugh Daudele, sued John Brid, of Eldersfield, in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a reasonable account of the time he was her bailiff in Much Marcle, Herefordshire.

Reference: Court of Common Pleas, CP40/282, image 351f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/E3/CP40no282/aCP40no282fronts/IMG_0351.htm).

If you descend from Isolde le Rous and her 2nd husband, Hugh de Audley, Knt., Lord Audley (as I know many of you do), I'd appreciate it if you would post your line of descent from this couple.

William Collins

Jan 18, 2018, 10:02:26 PM1/18/18
I have a number of lines from Isolde le Rous and Hugh de Audley, but here is one:
Descendancy from Isolde le Rous

Isolde le Rous Hugh de Audley
Alice de Augley Ralph de Greystoke
William de Greystoke Joan FitzHugh
Ralph Greystoke Katherine Clifford
John Greystoke Elizabeth de Ferrers
Joan Greystoke John Darcy
Richard Darcy Eleanor le Scrope
William Darcy Euphame Langton
Thomas Darcy Dowsabel Tempest
Arthur Darcy Mary Carew
Elizabeth Darcy Lewis Mordaunt
Mary Mordaunt Thomas Mansel
Arthur Mansel Jane Price
Catrin Mansel William Thomas
Anne Thomas Jeremiah Dawkin
Priscilla Dawkin William Collins
Charles Collins Sarah Hammond
Isaac Collins Rachel Budd
Thomas Collins Ann Abbott
Francis Collins Anna Whitehead
Charles Collins Mary Robbins
Alfred Collins Emily Johnson
William Collins

joe...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2018, 8:00:51 PM1/19/18

> Descendancy from Isolde le Rous
>
> Isolde le Rous Hugh de Audley
> Alice de Audley Ralph de Greystoke
> William de Greystoke Joan FitzHugh
> Ralph Greystoke Katherine Clifford
> Maud Greystoke Eudes Welles
> Lionel Welles Joan Waterton
> Margaret Wells Thomas Dymoke
> Lionel Dymoke Joan Griffith AND Jane Dymoke John Fulnetby
> Anne Dymoke John Goodrick AND Kath. Fulnetby Wm Dynewell
> Lionel Goodrick Winifred SapcoteAND Anne Dynewell Hen. Whitgift
> Anne Goodrick Benjamin Bolles AND Wm Whitgift
> Thomas Bolles Eliz Perkins AND Eliz Whitfit Wymond Bradbury
> Joseph Bolles AND Thomas Bradbury, immigrants to USA

There are also three descents to Henry Dudley, probable grandfather of Governor Thomas Dudley.

Thomas Dudley, Joseph Bolles, and Thomas Bradbury are all ancestors of mine.
--JC

celticp...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2018, 4:34:13 PM1/30/18
Dear William ~

Thank you for sharing your line of descent from Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley, and his wife, Isolde le Rous.

I can't speak for your entire line of descent but the line you posted is definitely good down to Elizabeth Darcy above who married Lewis Mordaunt, 3rd Lord Mordaunt.

If you have other lines of descent you can post, I'd enjoy seeing them. Again thanks.

celticp...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2018, 5:02:06 PM1/30/18
On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 6:00:51 PM UTC-7, joe...@gmail.com wrote:
< Descendancy from Isolde le Rous
<
< 1. Isolde le Rous, married Hugh de Audley
< 2. Alice de Audley, married Ralph de Greystoke
< 3. William de Greystoke, married Joan Fitz Hugh
< 4. Ralph Greystoke, married Katherine Clifford
< 5. Maud Greystoke, married Eudes Welles
< 6. Lionel Welles, married Joan Waterton
< 7. Margaret Wells, married Thomas Dymoke
< 8. Lionel Dymoke, married Joan Griffith
> 9. Anne Dymoke, married John Goodrick
> 10.Lionel Goodrick, married Winifred Sapcote
< 11. Anne Goodrick, married Benjamin Bolles
< 12. Thomas Bolles, married Elizabeth Perkins
< 13. Joseph Bolles, immigrant

< 9. Jane Dymoke, married John Fulnetby
< 10. Katherine Fulnetby, married Wm Dynewell
< 11. Anne Dynewell, married Henry Whitgift
< 12. Wm Whitgift
< 13. Elizabeth Whitgift, married Wymond Bradbury
< 14. Thomas Bradbury, immigrant

< There are also three descents to Henry Dudley, probable grandfather of
< Governor Thomas Dudley.

< --JC

Thanks Joe for posting two descents, one going down to Joseph Bolles, the other to Thomas Bradbury. The two descents got a bit garbled in the posted message, so I separated the lines into two distinct lines above.

Good news. I can verify that the Bolles line is good down all the way down to the immigrant. Yahoo!

As for the Bradbury descent, it is based on a working theory proposed by Marshall Kirk published in NEHGR 161 (2007): 27–36. The theory, while likely, remains unproven. At the present time, the line is only good down to Jane Dymoke, wife of John Fulnetby [Gen. 9 above]. I've been unable to prove that John Fulnetby had a daughter, Katherine, who married William Dynewell. If you know of such evidence, I'd like to see it.

Regarding the three descents down to Henry Dudley, who you have called the "probable" grandfather of Gov. Thomas Dudley, surely you know there is no direct evidence which links Henry Dudley to Gov. Dudley's father, Capt. Roger Dudley. This is another Marshal Kirk theory. Basically Mr. Kirk developed his theory and then marshalled the evidence to fit it. He totally ignored any extraneous or miscellaneous Dudley families.

The correct approach is to examine ALL available Dudley families and see if one fits. While all things are possible, in this case, Marshall Kirk's Dudley theory has a lot of problems. I stopped using it many years ago. Again, if you know of evidence to prove the line, I'd certainly like to see it.

Probable is when lands pass from one person to another. Probable is when they lived in the same parish. Probable is when family names match. Probable is when the immigrant is called cousin by a known descendant of Henry Dudley in contemporary records. None of this is true with Marshall Kirk's Dudley theory. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? I wouldn't bet my life on it. As a Dudley descendant, I'd like to see this line proven just as much as anyone. Right now .... no soap. Or should I say no evidence. Grin.

Again thanks for posting your descents.

joe...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2018, 6:54:57 PM1/30/18
Douglas,
For what it's worth I largely agree with your analysis, but put more weight on the Dudley line than you do based on the use of the seal and the lack of possible candidates for his grandfather.
Actually, I believe the Dudley line is more likely to be essentially right than Marshall's Bradbury line...the NEGHR article I thought made a few leaps of faith...or possibly just was lacking editorally in connecting the dots. Of course I cannot blame Mr. Kirk for this or the article's editor/submitter either given the circumstances of his untimely death.

The good news for the Bradbury line is that there is probably more chance of a stray record turning up that will provide an answer at some point than the seemingly intractable Dudley question (although I will be excited anyway to read the book in progress on the Dudley question and some of the more recent findings when it is fully in print)

Thanks Joe Cook

caral...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2018, 8:05:36 AM6/4/18
My Line from what I gather.
1. Isolde > Hugh Audley
2. Hugh Audley > Margaret Clare
3. Margaret Audley > Ralph Stafford
4. Katherine Stafford > John Dudley/Sutton 1339
5. John Dudley 1361 > Joan ?
6. John Dudley 1380 > Constance Blount
7. John Dudley 1400 > Elizabeth Berkeley
8. Edmund Dudley > Matilda Maud Clifford
9. Thomas Dudley > Grace Threkheld
10. Richard Dudley > Dorothy Sanford
11. John Dudley > Bridget Carre
12. Robert Dudley 1548 > Ann Wood
13. Robert Dudley 1565 > Bridget Green
14.Edward Dudley > Elizabeth Pritchard
15. Richard Dudley > Mary Seawell/Sewell
16. Ambrose Dudley > Anne Foster
17. George Dudley 1690 > Judith Armistead
18. George Dudley 1735 > Dorothy Tabb
19. Susannah Dudley > Thomas B. Carter 1770
20. Thomas B. Carter 1804 > Anna Blacker/Black ?
21. John Fayette Carter > Amanda Jane Cook
22. Bessie W. Carter > Albert B. Stonerock
23. Nellie Mary Stonerock > Finley Earl Greenlee
24. Wayne Jay Greenlee > Joann Katherine Dengel
25. Steven Jay Greenlee > Lisa A. Worden (GATEWAY Peter Worden I)
26. Cara Louann Greenlee
20.

heering.ahn...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2018, 7:49:52 AM7/14/18
Douglas,

Thanks for this post. This is one of my lineages from Iseult le Rous:

1. Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley = Iseult le Rous
2. Sir Hugh de Audley, 1st Baron Audley, 1st Earl of Gloucester = Margaret de Clare, Countess of Gloucester, Countess of Cornwall
3. Ralph de Stafford, 2nd Baron Stafford, 1st Earl of Stafford, KG = Margaret de Audley, 2nd Baroness Audley, Countess of Stafford
4. Thomas de Ros, 4th Baron de Ros of Hamlake = Beatrice Stafford
5. Sir Thomas de Clifford, 6th Baron de Clifford = Elizabeth de Ros
6. Sir John Clifford, 7th Baron de Clifford, KG = Elizabeth Percy
7. Sir Philip Wentworth, Kt., of Nettlestead, Suffolk = Mary Clifford
8. Sir Henry Wentworth, de jure 4th Baron Despenser, KB = Anne Say
9. Sir Roger Darcy, of Danbury, Essex = Elizabeth Wentworth
10. Thomas Darcy, 1st Baron Darcy of Chiche, KG = Elizabeth de Vere
11. Sir Richard Southwell, Kt., of Woodrising, PC = Mary Darcy
12. Sir Richard Southwell, Kt., of Horsham St. Faith's, Norwich = Bridget Copley
13. Richard Southwell = Alice Cornwallis
14. Sir Thomas Southwell, Kt., of Polylong in Ireland = Anne Harris, Lady Southwell
15. Sir John Dowdall, Kt., of Kilfinny Castle = Elisabeth Southwell
16. William Pigott, Esq. = Anne Dowdall
17. William Stamer, Esq., of Carnelly, co. Clare = Martha Pigott
18. George Stamer, of Carnelly, co. Clare = Jane Yorke
19. William Smith, Gent. = Susannah Stamer
20. Dr Henry Smith (*1701, near Limerick - +1758, London) = Maria Konau
21. Edward James Smith (*1741, St. Petersburg - +1801, St. Petersburg) = Antoniette Juliane Cramer
22. Edward James Smith (*1779, St. Petersburg - +1854, Hamburg) = Maria Elizabeth Poppe
23. Paul Joseph Heering (*1799, near St. Petersburg - +1854, near St. Petersburg) = Maria Elizabeth Smith (*1809, Hamburg - +1848, near St. Petersburg)
24. Paul Christian Heering (*1834, near St. Petersburg - +1904, near St. Petersburg) = Seraphima Meissner
25. Sergei Heering = Maria Tenetilova
26. Sergei Heering = Iraida Ponomareva
27. Eduard Ponomarev (Heering) = Valentina Karataeva
28. Vadim Ponomarev (Heering), St. Petersburg

leslie...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2018, 3:48:52 PM7/15/18
This Dudley family of Virginia was discussed in this newsgroup
back in 1999:

"There are two complete breaks in this ancestry, and several questions that must
be answered. I would be only too happy for the connection to be correct, but
it is not.

1. What evidence is there that the Virginia immigrant was from Bristol,
Gloucestershire, England?

2. What evidence is there that Robert Dudley of Newcastle had a son named
Edward who went to Bristol [a very unusual migration route], and then to
Virginia? This is the first complete break.

3. What evidence is there that Richard Dudley, of Yanwath, Cumberland, had a
son named John who founded the Newcastle line? He had two sons, Edward and
Robert, and a number of daughters. This is the second complete break."

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/soc.genealogy.medieval/XYDhkOcbUpU/96GakJTkQQoJ;context-place=topic/soc.genealogy.medieval/BkwblrmaJlg

This lineage was analyzed in an article published in 1972,
which apparently pointed out the same problems:

https://books.google.com/books?id=yZpbAAAAMAAJ&q=john+dudley+bridget+carre&dq=john+dudley+bridget+carre&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjsn9b47qHcAhUCNKwKHTnKAq4Q6AEILTAB

Leslie

celticp...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2018, 1:15:51 AM7/17/18
Thanks so much for sharing your line of descent from Sir Hugh de Audley and his wife, Isolde le Rous. Much appreciated. Hopefully others will do the same.

Many years when I first worked on this problem, I found that all of the published sources stated that Isolde, wife of Sir Hugh de Audley, was a Mortimer. But when I checked their cited references, I found no evidence to back up their claims. I subsequently withdrew the identification of Isolde as a Mortimer from my files and waited for further evidence to prove her maiden name and parentage.

This should serve as a red flag to all researchers. No matter how many times something appears in print, there should always be contemporary evidence to back up the printed material. If someone is merely quoting from another published source, one should proceed with caution.

Message has been deleted

Paulo Ricardo Canedo

Jul 17, 2018, 7:09:16 AM7/17/18
The line breaks at generations 10-11, Mary Darcy wasn't daughter of Thomas Darcy and Elizabeth de Vere.

celticp...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2018, 11:30:17 AM7/17/18
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 5:09:16 AM UTC-6, Paulo Ricardo Canedo wrote:
< The line breaks at generations 10-11, Mary Darcy wasn't daughter of Thomas Darcy < and Elizabeth de Vere.

I believe there is a valid descent from Sir Hugh de Audley and his wife, Isolde le Rous, for Bridget Copley, wife of Sir Richard Southwell, Knt. [Generation 12]. The descent goes through Bridget Copley's 2nd great-grandmother, Eleanor (Welles) Hoo, and can be found in my Royal Ancestry book [5 volume set].

For an interesting biography of Bridget (Copley) Southwell, please see A Biographical Encyclopedia of Early Modern Englishwomen (2016), pg. 180, which may be viewed at the following weblink:

https://books.google.com/books?id=kDglDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA180

Anyone have any more descents to post from Sir Hugh de Audley and Isolde le Rous?

HWinnSadler

Jul 17, 2018, 10:50:33 PM7/17/18
Here is my descent from Sir Hugh de Audley and Isolde le Rous. If the line breaks somewhere, I'd like to know.

Isolde le Rous = Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley
Sir Hugh de Audley, 1st Earl of Gloucester = Margaret de Clare
Margaret de Audley = Sir Ralph de Stafford, 1st Earl of Stafford
Beatrice de Stafford = Sir Thomas de Roos, 4th Lord Roos of Helmsley
Sir William Roos, 6th Lord Roos of Helmsley = Margaret Arundel
Margaret de Roos = Sir James Tuchet, 5th Lord Audley
Elizabeth Audley = Sir Edward Brooke, 6th Baron Cobham
Sir John Brooke, 7th Baron Cobham = Margaret Neville (desc. of Edward III)
Sir Thomas Brooke, 8th Lord Cobham = Dorothy Heydon
Elizabeth Brooke = Sir Thomas Wyatt the Poet
Sir Thomas Wyatt the younger = Jane Haute
Sir George Wyatt = Jane Finch
The Rev. Hawte Wyatt = Anne Cox
John Wyatt I
John Wyatt II
Ann Wyatt = John Stafford (d. 1733, Virginia)
Joshua Stafford, R.S (d. 1795, Georgia
Ezekiel Stafford, Justice of the Peace (d. 1853, Tattnall, Georgia)
Mary Stafford = John Pittman
Noah Gideon Pittman, C.S.A = Elizabeth Partin
Mary Elizabeth Pittman = Joseph Franklin Winn Jr. (d. 1944, Florida)
John Washington Winn Sr. = Lula Lavene Benton
John Washington Winn Jr., WWII Vet = Ethel Clemons (b. 1923, Tennessee)
Linda Kay Winn = Luther Allen Saddler Jr, WWII Vet (b. 1920, Princeton, WV)
Brian Keith Winn (d. 2013, Holland, MI) = Amy Louise TerVree
Hunter Ryan Winn

sleepy...@gmail.com

May 4, 2019, 10:50:28 AM5/4/19
On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 3:15:10 AM UTC-7, Douglas Richardson wrote:
> Dear Newsgroup ~
>
> Isolde (died 1338), wife successively of Sir Walter de Balun (died 1287) and Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley (died 1325) is claimed in many secondary sources to have been a member of Mortimer family........

Wonderful amount of information here! Was very happy to stumble upon this today and clear up many of the questions I had. Thanks to all who have posted!

I’ll begin with Isolda and Hugh’s son, Hugh.
Hugh de Audley + Margaret de Clare
Margaret de Audley + Ralph Stafford [2 children are directs that merge into one again]
1. Hugh Stafford + Philippa Beauchamp
2. Joan Stafford + Gilbert Talbot

1. Hugh Stafford + Philippa Beauchamp [other children who m. into other direct lines: Margaret m. Ralph Neville (17th GG); Thomas m. Anne Plantagenet (17th GG, who after widowed, m. Thomas’ brother Edmund)
Edmund Stafford + Anne Plantagenet
Humphrey Stafford + Anne Neville
Katherine Stafford + John Talbot
George Talbot + Anne Hastings *
Francis Talbot + Mary Dacre
George Talbot + Gertrude Manners
Gilbert Talbot + Mary Cavendish
Alethea Talbot + Thomas Howard
Mary Ann Howard + Jeffrey Ferris
James Ferris + Mary Merritt
Mary Ferris + Gershom Lockwood
Mary Lockwood + James Ferris (Married back into Ferris line – 1st cousins)
Hannah Ferris + Isaac Horton
James Horton + Sidnea Webb
Polina Nancy Horton + John H. Kelley (my 3rd GG’s)

2. Joan Stafford + Gilbert Talbot
Richard Talbot + Ankaret Strange
John Talbot + Maud Neville
John Talbot + Elizabeth Butler
John Talbot + Katherine Stafford(2C1R–John married back into Stafford line)
George Talbot + Anne Hastings *(2nd cousins–seen above Hugh 1) 14th GG’s

There were many marriages not listed above that connect to other lines. I have had much frustration and satisfaction in solving the many puzzles. Some of the above I have very well documented and am confident in the data, but some is still in the “grey” area.

Regards,
Celeste (21st great granddaughter of Isolda)

leslie...@gmail.com

May 4, 2019, 3:53:52 PM5/4/19
In regards to the supposed wife of Jeffrey Ferris:

"Mary (Howard) Ferris is being detached as the wife of Jeffrey Ferris since there is no evidence found for the marriages. Additionally, Robert Charles Anderson in "Great Migration" does not list her as his wife."

"Seems Anne Howard's marriage to Jeffrey Ferris may have stemmed from repeated copying of unsourced online family trees"

See here:

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Howard-2487

Leslie

immane...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2019, 9:27:57 PM8/8/19
Thanks for that great info! Here's my descent...

Isolde le Rous = Hugh de Audley
Alice Audley = Ralph Neville, 2nd Baron Neville
John Neville, 3rd Baron Neville de Raby = Maud Percy
Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland = Joan Beaufort, Countess of Westmorland
Richard Neville, 5th Earl of Salisbury = Alice Montagu, suo jure 5th Countess of Salisbury
Alice Neville, Baroness Fitzhugh = Henry FitzHugh, 5th Baron Fitzhugh
Elizabeth Fitzhugh = William Parr, 1st Baron Parr of Kendal
William Parr, 1st Baron Parr of Horton = Mary Salisbury
Elizabeth Parr = Nicholas Wodhull
Fulke Wodhull = Alice Coles
Lawrence Wodhull
Richard Wodhull = Deborah
Ann Wodhull = Daniel Tourneur
Woodhull Tourneur = Hannah Lawrence
James Tourneur = Sarah Oblenis
Sarah Turneur = Jan Stagg
Cornelius Stagg = Catherine Paull
Margaret Stagg = Solomon Gilbert
Maria Louisa Gilbert = Stephen Martindale Anderson
Gracie Adelaide Anderson = Francis Desales Chapman
Ignatius Alfred Chapman = Loretta Berean
Alfred Kniffin = Virginia Horton
Moi

celticp...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2019, 9:02:05 PM8/11/19
Thank you for posting your line of descent from Isolde le Rous, wife of Hugh de Audley. Much appreciated.

I see your line goes through the Wodhull family. When I have time later this week, I'll post some helpful information regarding that family here on the newsgroup.

celticp...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2019, 4:31:01 PM8/12/19
Dear Newsgroup ~

Isolde le Rous, wife successively of Walter de Balun, Knt., of Great Marcle, Herefordshire (died 1287), and Hugh de Audley, Knt., of Stratton (in Stratton Audley), Oxfordshire (died 1325) has been shown to be the daughter of Roger le Rous, Knt., of Harescombe and Duntisbourne Rouse, Gloucestershire, Allensmore, Herefordshire, etc., Sheriff of Gloucestershire, 1278–79, Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1293–94, Knight of the Shire for Gloucestershire, 1283, Knight of the Shire of Herefordshire, 1290, itinerant judge, by his wife, Eleanor.

Isolde's mother, Eleanor, is thought to have been an heiress of the Avenbury family, as in her widowhood, Eleanor le Rous presented to the church of Avenbury, Herefordshire in 1313. If the Avenbury connection is correct, presumably Isolde le Rous was closely related to Maud de Avenbury (died 1273), 2nd wife of Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford and Essex.

Below is a fine dated 1281 involving Isolde le Rous' parents, Roger and Eleanor le Rous, and a certain Roger de Avenbury. The fine is found at Chris Philips' website, Some Notes on Medieval English Genealogy, at the following weblink: http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/

CP 25/1/81/18, number 46.
County: Herefordshire.
Place: Westminster.
Date: Two weeks from St John the Baptist, 9 Edward I [8 July 1281].

[...]

Standardised forms of names.

Persons: Roger Le Rous, Eleanor Le Rous, Reynold le Chapler, Roger de Avenbury, William le Cris.
Places: Munderfield (in Avenbury and Bromyard)

+ + + + + + + + + +

Recently I encountered a record in the Common Pleas dated 1285 which pertains to the Avenbury family. The plaintiff is Alice, widow of Roger de Avenbury, who is presumably the same person as Roger de Avenbury involved in the 1281 fine above. A brief abstract of the lawsuit is presented below.

In Trinity term 1285 Alice, widow of Roger de Avenbir[y] sued Henry de Hereford in the Court of Common Pleas regarding the third part of one messuage, 50 acres of land, and one acre of meadow in Avenbury, Herefordshire, which she claimed as her dower.

Reference: Court of Common Pleas, CP40/59, image 9830d (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no59/CP40no59dorses/IMG_9830.htm).

I believe further evidence is need before Eleanor, wife of Roger le Rous, can be assigned as a member of the Avenbury family.

In other news, below is a record dated 1283 in the Exchequer of Pleas which relates to Isolde le Rous' first husband, Sir Walter de Balun:

In 1283 Walter Balum, of Markeley [Marcle], Herefordshire was attached to respond to Robert de Dymmok, clerk, regarding a matter involving William and John, servants of the said Robert.

Exchequer of Pleas, E13/10, image 42, Year: 1283 (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/E1/E13no10/IMG_0042.htm).

Douglas Richardson, Historian & Genealogist

gdco...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2019, 8:05:58 PM8/14/19
Greetings,

I have four descents from Isolde. Two through Wm Skepper, two through a 19th century gateway. Evidence can be found starting here: http://gdcooke.org/ss/default.aspx/page/org2-o/p7083.htm

Thanks,

Greg

Through Wm Skepper (2)
22 Iseult le Rous d. bef. 4 Aug 1338
21 Sir Hugh de Audley, Knt., Earl of Gloucester b. abt. 1289, d. 10 Nov 1347
20 Margaret de Audley b. bt 1322 - 1324, d. 7 Sep 1349
19 Sir Hugh de Stafford, K.G., 2nd Earl of Stafford, 3rd Lord Stafford, Lord Audley b. abt. 1342, d. 16 Oct 1386
18 Katherine Stafford d. 8 Apr 1419
17 Isabel de la Pole d. 8 Feb 1466/67
16 Anne Morley b. say 1414, d. 1471
15 Elizabeth Hastings
14 Sir Peter Hildyard, Knt. b. abt. 1460, d. 20 Mar 1501/2
13 Isabel Hildyard b. abt. 1498, d. aft. 10 Jul 1540
12 Joan Legard b. abt. 1530, d. aft. 7 Mar 1585/86
11 Edward Skepper b. abt. 1552, d. bef. 10 Nov 1629
10 Rev William Skepper b. 27 Nov 1597, d. bef. 1646
9 Sarah Skepper b. abt. 1640, d. 18 Dec 1711
8 Sarah Fairfield b. 24 Dec 1655, d. 27 Nov 1742
7 Sarah Abbe b. 31 Mar 1684, d. 16 Feb 1732
6 Bathsheba Geer b. 16 Jan 1715, d. 28 Jan 1763
5 Bathsheba Sexton b. 14 Sep 1741, d. 27 Jul 1828
4 Sarah Washburn b. 5 Dec 1770, d. 13 Jul 1818
3 Laura Canfield White b. 9 Jan 1792, d. 12 Mar 1865
2 Laura Caroline Henry b. 30 Apr 1825, d. 10 May 1903
1 Marion Bain Jackson b. 27 Jul 1863, d. 7 Mar 1905
Adele La Force b. 18 Oct 1893, d. 5 Oct 1990
Donald Force Cooke b. 10 Jan 1923 d. 19 May 2017
Gregory Cooke (me)

21 Iseult le Rous d. bef. 4 Aug 1338
20 Alice de Audley d. 12 Jan 1373/74
19 Margaret de Neville d. 13 May 1372
18 Sir Henry Percy "Hotspur," K.G., K.B. b. 30 May 1364, d. 21 Jul 1403
17 Elizabeth Percy d. 26 Oct 1436
16 Mary Clifford
15 Elizabeth Wentworth d. bef. 20 Nov 1494
14 Joan de la See b. bt 1460 - 1465, d. bef. 7 Apr 1528
13 Isabel Hildyard b. abt. 1498, d. aft. 10 Jul 1540 (see #13 above)

Through a 19th century gateway (2)
21 Iseult le Rous d. bef. 4 Aug 1338
20 Sir Hugh de Audley, Knt., Earl of Gloucester b. abt. 1289, d. 10 Nov 1347
19 Margaret de Audley b. bt 1322 - 1324, d. 7 Sep 1349
18 Sir Hugh de Stafford, K.G., 2nd Earl of Stafford, 3rd Lord Stafford, Lord Audley b. abt. 1342, d. 16 Oct 1386
17 Katherine Stafford d. 8 Apr 1419
16 Isabel de la Pole d. 8 Feb 1466/67
15 Anne Morley b. say 1414, d. 1471
14 Sir Hugh Hastings, Knt. b. abt. 1447, d. 7 Jun 1488
13 Sir Brian Hastings, Knt. b. aft. 20 Jun 1482
12 Dorothy Hastings d. bef. 2 May 1560
11 Gabriel St. Quintin b. abt. Jan 1532, d. bef. 24 Apr 1577
10 Sir George St. Quintin, Knt. d. 4 Dec 1612
9 Sir William St. Quintin, Knt., Bnt. b. abt. 1579, d. bef. 8 Oct 1649
8 Frances St. Quintin d. bef. 20 Sep 1658
7 Daniel Lascelles b. 6 Nov 1655, d. 5 Sep 1734
6 Edward Lascelles b. 25 Feb 1702/3, d. 31 Oct 1747
5 General Francis Lascelles b. 1 Nov 1744, d. 2 Sep 1799
4 Jane Lascelles b. 19 Aug 1776, d. 22 Jul 1863
3 Mary Maria Hester Wynyard b. 23 May 1815, d. 18 Dec 1893
2 Matilda Caroline Higginson b. 27 Aug 1841, d. 1 Apr 1909
1 Mary Elizabeth Robinson b. 11 Mar 1869, d. 8 Jul 1955
Harriet Hanson Robinson b. 26 May 1895, d. 19 Dec 1974
Dorothy Harriet Pierce b. 6 Feb 1927 d. 13 Nov 2013
Gregory Cooke (me)

21 Iseult le Rous d. bef. 4 Aug 1338
20 Alice de Audley d. 12 Jan 1373/74
19 Sir John de Neville, K.G., 3rd Lord Neville of Raby b. bef. 1330, d. 17 Oct 1388
18 Eleanor Neville d. aft. 16 Jul 1447
17 Sir John Lumley, Knt. b. 2 Feb 1382/83, d. 22 Mar 1421
16 Sir Thomas Lumley, Knt., 2nd Lord Lumley b. 29 Sep 1408, d. 1 Apr 1485
15 Sir George Lumley, Knt., 3rd Lord Lumley b. abt. 1445, d. 13 Nov 1507
14 Sir Thomas Lumley, Knt. b. 1462, d. bef. 13 Nov 1507
13 Sybil Lumley
12 Sir William de Hilton, Knt. d. 1562
11 Elizabeth Hilton
10 Katherine Thirkeld d. bef. 27 Apr 1637
9 Mary Lacy d. bef. 4 May 1649
8 Frances St. Quintin d. bef. 20 Sep 1658 (See #8 above)

celticp...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2019, 2:28:41 PM8/17/19
Dear Greg ~

Thank you for posting your various lines of descent from Isolde le Rous (died 1338), wife of Sir Walter de Balun and Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley. Much appreciated.

Below is a new court record involving Isolde le Rous' father, Sir Roger le Rous, of Harescombe and Duntisbourne Rouse, Gloucestershire, Allensmore, Herefordshire, etc.

In 1283 Roger le Rus was attached to respond to Anselm de Gornay [Gournay] in the Exchequer of Pleas in a Gloucestershire plea regarding a debt of £4 [see Exchequer of Pleas, E13/10, image 16, Year: 1283 (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT4/E1/E13no10/IMG_0016.htm)].

immane...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2019, 8:44:11 PM8/17/19
On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 9:02:05 PM UTC-4, celticp...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thank you for posting your line of descent from Isolde le Rous, wife of Hugh de
>Audley. Much appreciated.
>
> I see your line goes through the Wodhull family. When I have time later this
>week, I'll post some helpful information regarding that family here on the
>newsgroup.

I would certainly appreciate that! I've looked around a good deal, trying to track down primary sources for the Wahull/Wodhull/Woodhull family. Not an easy task. Other than Domesday, of course.

tchamp...@gmail.com

May 18, 2020, 2:44:02 PM5/18/20
On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 2:15:10 AM UTC-8, Douglas Richardson wrote:
> [...]
>
> If you descend from Isolde le Rous, I'd appreciate it greatly if you would post your line of descent(s) from this lady here on the newsgroup.
>
> Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah

My line of descent is different than others:

Hugh de Audley + Isolda
Hugh de Audley Jr. + Margaret de Clare
Margaret de Audley + Ralph, Lord Stafford
Joan de Stafford + John de Cherleton
Sir Edward de Cherleton + Eleanor de Holland
Joyce Cherleton + Sir John Tibetot/Tiptoft
Joyce Tiptoft + Sir Edmund Sutton of Dudley
Sir John Sutton of Dudley + Margaret Charroll
Margaret Sutton + John Butler
William Butler + Margaret Greeke
Margaret Butler + Lawrence Washington - direct ancestor of George Washington
Richard Washington + Frances Browne (an uncle of George Washington)
Major John Washington + Mary Flood (wills and historical records)
Richard Washington + Elizabeth Jordan (wills and historical records)
Faith Washington + Josiah Barker (per wills and Sterling Talley's bible)
Mary Barker + John Ellis (noted as Sterling Talley's in-laws)
Martha Ellis + Sterling Talley (Personal Bible had wife's ancestry also full DNA connection from here down to myself.)
Sarah Talley + John D. Turner
John Turner + Elizabeth White
Triphena Turner + John F. Knox
Minnie Pearl Knox + George Washington Haning
Mary Angeline Haning + Elmer Ray Fletcher Sr.
Elmer Ray Fletcher Jr. + Edna Louise Nilsen
T. Fletcher (me)

Matt A

May 18, 2020, 5:49:24 PM5/18/20
No, there is no link between this emigrant John Washington and the family of George Washington. The John Washington, of the George Washington, was found in Barbados, and originally thought to be the John Washington who married Mary (whose surname I do not believe to have been proven), was later found to have died without issue. This would fit with the general observations that the John Washington family did not use a similar pool of first names, and seems to have been of a lower social standing.

Notwithstanding, if you would be willing to send me a private email with the details of this family bible you referenced, as a probable descendant of Faith Washington and Josiah Barker, I would be greatly interested.

Steve Barnhoorn

May 18, 2020, 8:20:53 PM5/18/20
Hi Douglas:

For some reason, I can't decipher where Isolde's name in this lawsuit. Can you please point where it is located?

Thanks.

Steve
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Steve Barnhoorn

May 18, 2020, 9:09:02 PM5/18/20
Hi Douglas:

Full descent from Isolde as follows:

Isolde le Rous = Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley
Sir Hugh de Audley, 1st Earl of Gloucester = Margaret de Clare
Margaret de Audley = Sir Ralph de Stafford, 1st Earl of Stafford
Sir Hugh de Stafford, 2nd Earl of Stafford, KG = Philippa de Beauchamp
Margaret de Stafford = Sir Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland KG
Sir Ralph de Neville = Mary de Ferrers
John Neville, MP, Sheriff of Lincolnshire = Elizabeth Newmarch
Joan Neville = Sir William Gascoigne
Margaret Gascoigne = Sir Christopher Warde
Anne Ward = Sir Ralph Neville of Thornton Bridge
Katherine Neville = Sir Walter Strickland
Sir Walter Strickland = ???
Ellen/Eleanor Strickland = John Carleton
Walter Carleton = Jane Gibbon
Edward Carleton = Ellen Newton
John Carleton = Hannah Jewett
John Carleton = Hannah Osgood
John Carleton = Hannah Barker
Hannah Carleton = Capt. Moody Morse
Hannah Morse = Lot Hutchinson
Asa Hutchinson = Christiana Churchill
Aaron Hutchinson = Lydia Boice
Benjamin Franklin Hutchinson = Mary F. Dillingham
Alexander M. Hutchinson = Lovilla S. Forrester
Helen Julia Hutchinson = Benjamin Perrington
Helen Jane Perrington (last name legally changed to Williams changed during adoption proceeding) = Douglas Rice, full name changed during adoption proceeding to Orin Hamilton Wilson
Laura Jane Wilson, full name legally changed during adoption proceeding to Rebecca Yvonne Wilcox = Bart Joseph Barnhoorn
Stephen A. Barnhoorn

celticp...@gmail.com

Aug 8, 2020, 10:15:47 PM8/8/20
Back in 2017, I presented evidence which proved that Isolde, wife of Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley (he died 1325), was the daughter of Roger le Rous (or Rus), Knt., of Harescombe and Duntisbourne Rouse, Gloucestershire, Allensmore, Herefordshire, etc., Sheriff of Gloucestershire, 1278–79, Sheriff of Herefordshire, 1293–94, Knight of the Shire for Gloucestershire, 1283, Knight of the Shire of Herefordshire, 1290, itinerant judge, by his wife, Eleanor, allegedly daughter of _____ de Avenbury.

I earlier located a Common Pleas lawsuit which placed the marriage date of Sir Hugh and Isolde as sometime in or before Easter term 1292.

Recently I located another Common Pleas lawsuit which indicates that Sir Hugh and Isolde were married in or before Trinity term 1291. A brief abstract of the new lawsuit is presented below.

In Trinity term 1291 Hugh and Isolde his wife sued Robert [Burnell], Bishop of Bath and Wells, and Philip Burnell in the Court of Common Pleas regarding the third part of the manor of Great Cheverel, Wiltshire, which the said Isolde claimed as dower; the said Bishop and Philip came into court and called to warranty Reynold de Balun.

Reference: Court of Common Pleas, CP40/90, image 17f (available at http://aalt.law.uh.edu/E1/CP40no90/aCP40no90fronts/IMG_0017.htm).

The subject of the above lawsuit is the manor of Great Cheverel, Wiltshire, which property was previously held by Isolde le Rous' first husband, Sir Walter de Balun, of Great Marcle, Herefordshire, who died shortly before 25 October 1287.

Best always, Douglas Richardson, Historian and Genealogist

> [...]
>
> If you descend from Isolde le Rous, I'd appreciate it greatly if you would post your line of descent(s) from this lady here on the newsgroup.

Jason Long

Aug 12, 2020, 9:55:40 AM8/12/20
I have multiple descents from Isolde, here's one:
Isolde le Rous = Sir Hugh de Audley, Lord Audley
Sir Hugh de Audley, 1st Earl of Gloucester = Margaret de Clare
Margaret de Audley = Sir Ralph de Stafford, 1st Earl of Stafford
Sir Hugh de Stafford, 2nd Earl of Stafford, KG = Philippa de Beauchamp
Margaret de Stafford = Sir Ralph Neville, 1st Earl of Westmorland KG
Sir Ralph de Neville = Mary de Ferrers
John Neville, MP, Sheriff of Lincolnshire = Elizabeth Newmarch
Joan Neville = Sir William Gascoigne
Agnes Gascoigne = Sir Robert Plumpton
Joan Plumpton = Sir Richard Mauleverer
Anne Mauleverer = Thomas Snawsell
Brian Snawsell = Elizabeth Wentworth
Robert Snawsell = Anne Waters
Joan Snawsell = John Overton
Major-General Robert Overton = Anne Gardiner
William Overton = Mary Elizabeth Waters
Captain James Overton = Elizabeth Garland
Mary Garland Overton = David Cosby Sr.
Charles Scott Cosby = Elizabeth Sydnor
Mary Overton Cosby = Rev. John Andrew
Elizabeth Sydnor Andrew = William Davenport
John Andrew Davenport = Arabella Caroline Lewis
Roger Mills Davenport = Martha Alice Gallaway
Mary Edlo Davenport = John Lee Thompson II
Martha Nanette Thompson = Robert Charles Long
Moi

I haven't done much with the middle of this line, so I'm happy to take corrections, if any.

Leslie Mahler

Aug 14, 2020, 1:00:04 PM8/14/20
The parentage of William Overton, who was married to Elizabeth Waters,
is based on tradition, with no contemporary evidence for the connection.

Leslie (lma...@att.net)

uftanner

Mar 9, 2021, 11:34:06 PM3/9/21
Douglas Richardson said:
"If you descend from Isolde le Rous, I'd appreciate it greatly if you would post your line of descent(s) from this lady here on the newsgroup."

Here is what I have (25 generations):

Isolde le Rous = Hugh de Audley
Alice Audley = Ralph Neville
John Neville = Maud de Percy
Ralph Neville = Margaret Stafford
Alice Neville = Sir Thomas Grey
Elizabeth de Gray = Sir Roger de Widdrington
Thomas Widdrington = (unknown)
Alice Widdrington = William Skrimshire
Thomas Scrimshire = Mary Joan Swynshed
Joyce Scrimshire = Sir Robert Terrell Colyer
Cecilia Collier = Thomas Richard Harper
Thomas Harper, Jr. = Christine Bilmore
Isabel Harper = John Paybody (Paybodie) (Immigrants)
Annis Peabody (Paybody) = John Rouse (Immigrants)
Thankful Rouse = Samuel Bullock
Thankful Bullock = Ephraim Martin
Edward Martin = Rebeckah Peck
Capt. Silvanus Martin = Martha Salisbury Wheeler
Edward Martin = Deborah Brown
Lucy Martin = Alexander Young
Lucy Young = Ammi Burnham
Benjamin A. Burnham = Maria Emily Russ
Ella Blanche Burnham = Joseph Edward Sheedy
Nancy Burnham Sheedy = James Taylor Tanner
David Burnham Tanner = Marcia Carol Haney (Me)

Mark Jennings

Mar 10, 2021, 5:29:26 AM3/10/21
On Wednesday, March 10, 2021 at 4:34:06 AM UTC, uftanner wrote:

There are a number of problems with this proposed pedigree:

> Douglas Richardson said:
> "If you descend from Isolde le Rous, I'd appreciate it greatly if you would post your line of descent(s) from this lady here on the newsgroup."
> Here is what I have (25 generations):
> Isolde le Rous = Hugh de Audley
> Alice Audley = Ralph Neville
> John Neville = Maud de Percy
> Ralph Neville = Margaret Stafford
> Alice Neville = Sir Thomas Grey
> Elizabeth de Gray = Sir Roger de Widdrington
> Thomas Widdrington = (unknown)
> Alice Widdrington = William Skrimshire

The printed version of the 1664 Visitation of Staffordshire (Staffs Rec. Soc. V pt 2, 1885, p 267) calls him "Sir William Skrymshire of North Dighton", Yorkshire but does not assign a wife. The 1583 Visitation does not give him a name, but infers that he had an interest in Muskham, Nottinghamshire as well as North Deighton since those places are assigned to his heir (son of eldest son) and the family is said to quarter "Muschamp", indicating a marriage to an heiress of that family. I don't know where the attribution of a marriage to "Alice Widdrington/Witherington" comes from, but it appears in print as early as 1876 ("The Complete Poems of Richard Barnfield, A. Grosart, Roxburghe Club). Does anyone know the authority for this?

> Thomas Scrimshire = Mary Joan Swynshed

Whenever you see a medieval person with more than one Christian name, you should envisage a red flag: compound names weren't a feature of this time period (the first double names I am aware of in Britain date from the second part of the 16th century, and did not become common until the 1700s). Thomas Skrymsher apparently did marry a Miss Swynshed ("daughter and heir of Swinshed of Swinshed" according to the 1583 Visitation of Staffordshire) but so far as I know her first name is not recorded in any primary sources; she is not referred to in his 1550 will. The 1664 Visitation of Staffordshire calls her Mary, but this seems to be an interpolation (and in any case is not contemporary by any means).

> Joyce Scrimshire = Sir Robert Terrell Colyer

Not sure he was a knight; certainly his name was just Robert Colyer. He did indeed marry a daughter of Thomas Skrymsher (the latter states this and refers to their daughter in his 1550 will), but the 1583 Visitation of Staffordshire states that his daughter Cecilia was by a marriage to Agnes Venables of Kinderton. If the line hasn't already failed for lack of evidence, it almost certainly breaks here.

Steve Kelly

May 23, 2021, 9:36:51 AM5/23/21
On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 10:15:10 AM UTC, Douglas Richardson wrote:
> [...]
>
> If you descend from Isolde le Rous, I'd appreciate it greatly if you would post your line of descent(s) from this lady here on the newsgroup.
>
> Best always, Douglas Richardson, Salt Lake City, Utah

Hi

I have just found this.

I am a descendant of Isolde le Rouse. Isolde is my 21st great grandmother. My connection is as follows:

Isolde
Hugh Audley
Margaret Audley
Beatrice Stafford
William Ros
Margaret Ros
Anne Tuchet
Isobel Dutton
Margaret Southworth
Richard Hoghton
Elizabeth Hoghton married Robert Talbot, the illegitimate son of Sir John Talbot of Salesbury, Lancashire
Richard Talbot
John Talbot
Thomas Talbot
John Talbot the elder
John Talbot the younger
Joseph Talbot
John Talbot
Nancy Talbot married Joseph Banning
William Banning
William Banning
Annie Louisa Banning (my grandmother) who married Percy Kelly
Harold Kelly
Stephen Kelly (me)

Brad Verity

May 23, 2021, 7:04:21 PM5/23/21
On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 6:36:51 AM UTC-7, Steve Kelly wrote:
> I have just found this.
> I am a descendant of Isolde le Rouse. Isolde is my 21st great grandmother. My connection is as follows:
>
> Isolde
> Hugh Audley
> Margaret Audley
> Beatrice Stafford
> William Ros
> Margaret Ros
> Anne Tuchet
> Isobel Dutton
> Margaret Southworth
> Richard Hoghton
> Elizabeth Hoghton married Robert Talbot, the illegitimate son of Sir John Talbot of Salesbury, Lancashire

The descent is definitely valid thru this generation. Elizabeth (Hoghton) Talbot was the daughter of Sir Richard Hoghton and his mistress Anne Browne, who eventually became his fourth wife.

From Visitation of Lancashire 1533 (p. 51): "Sir Richard's mistress was Anne, daughter of Roger Brown. By her he had a daughter Elizabeth, married to Robert Talbot of Ribchester, an illegitimate offshoot of Talbot of Salebury."
https://archive.org/details/visitationoflanc198manc/page/51/mode/2up

The HOP bio for Sir Richard Hoghton shows that Anne Browne was his fourth wife:
https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/houghton-sir-richard-1496-or-98-1559

> Richard Talbot

Here is the first generation of your descent which will need verification. Per the 'Talbot of Salebury' pedigree in Sir William Dugdale's Visitation of Lancashire 1664-5 (p. 298), "Robert Talbot, born before marriage" and his wife "Elizabeth, dau. of Sir Richard Hoghton of Lee", had four sons: "John, George, Robert, Thomas."
https://archive.org/details/visitationcount00raingoog/page/n130/mode/2up

No Richard.

Is it possible that the Richard Talbot you list above, was actually Robert, John, George or Thomas Talbot, named in the 1664-5 pedigree?

Cheers, ----Brad

Leslie Mahler

May 23, 2021, 7:48:48 PM5/23/21
This Talbot lineage is probably taken from W.A. Abram,
Parish of Blackburn, County of Lancaster. A History of Blackburn, Town and Parish:

https://archive.org/details/parishofblackbur00abrarich/page/642/mode/2up

I'm not sure of how accurate this book is.

Leslie

Brad Verity

May 24, 2021, 12:39:11 AM5/24/21
On Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 4:48:48 PM UTC-7, Leslie Mahler wrote:
> This Talbot lineage is probably taken from W.A. Abram,
> Parish of Blackburn, County of Lancaster. A History of Blackburn, Town and Parish:
>
> https://archive.org/details/parishofblackbur00abrarich/page/642/mode/2up
>
> I'm not sure of how accurate this book is.

Thank you Leslie. On the one hand, it makes sense for Elizabeth (Hoghton) Talbot to have named a son 'Richard', after her father, the knight and MP. But on the other hand, it seems strange Richard would have been left off of a pedigree which named his four other brothers.

Cheers, ----Brad

Jan Wolfe

May 24, 2021, 2:40:54 PM5/24/21
Douglas,
For your list of descents, colonial immigrants Katherine and Thomas Craighead, who arrived in Boston in October, 1714, on the ship the Thomas and Jane, William Wilson, master, from Londonderry, are descendants of Isolde le Rous and Hugh de Audley:
Alice de Audley=Ralph Neville
John Neville=Maud de Percy
Ralph Neville=Joan Beaufort
Cecily Neville=Richard Plantagenet
Edward IV King of England=Elizabeth Woodville
Elizabeth of York=Henry VII King of England
Margaret Tudor=James IV King of Scotland
James V King of Scotland=Euphemia Elphinstone
Robert Stewart=?
Christian Stewart=John Mowat
Jean Mowat=David Heart
John Heart=Agnes Baxter
Agnes Heart=Robert Craighead
Katherine Craighead=William Homes and Thomas Craighead=Margaret Wallace

Katharine Craighead is one of my 8th great grandmothers. Thomas Craighead is one of the 5th great grandfathers of author Jean Craighead George.
Jan
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Darrell E. Larocque

Oct 26, 2021, 8:36:07 PM10/26/21
My line of descent from Isolde le Rous is through Charles Barnes of East Hampton, NY:

Isolde le Rous=Sir Hugh de Audley
Alice de Audley=Sir Ralph de Neville
Margaret de Neville=Sir Henry Percy
Sir Henry Percy [Hotspur]=Elizabeth Mortimer
Elizabeth Percy=Sir John Clifford
Sir Thomas Clifford=Joan Dacre
Elizabeth Clifford=Sir William Plumpton
Elizabeth Sothill=John Sothill, of Stockfaston
Sir Henry Sothill=Joan Empson
Elizabeth Sothill=Sir William Drury MP
Robert Drury, Esq, MP=Audrey Etheldreda Rich
Dorothy Drury=Edward Barnes, Esq
William Barnes, Esq=Thomasine Shepherd
Charles Barnes of East Hampton=Mary Hand
John Barnes=Hannah Linsley
Mary Barnes=Stephen Barnes, Sr.
Stephen Barnes, Jr.=Martha Wheadon
Stephen Barnes III=Sarah Barnes
Mark Barnes=Sarah Roberts
Abigail Barnes=Aretus Clapp, Sr.
Aretus Clapp, Jr.=Sarah Sumner
Cora Clapp=Henry Newell Auby
Kenneth Auby=Nina Rossman
My mother=Darrell R. Larocque
Myself

I very much wish to also find the connection to William Barnes (d. 1699, of East Hampton) to this family! I know it exists but how to prove it is so difficult. Here is my summation on Wynkoop and what I think could be going on here IRT William Barnes:

"Wynkoop Articles On William Barnes

In his 1906 article The Barnes Family of Easthampton, L.I., Richard Wynkoop concluded that William Barnes, who died 1 DEC 1699 and married Elizabeth, was most likely the son of Charles Barnes schoolmaster at Easthampton. However in 1910, Wynkoop retracted this conclusion, stating "It seems that Charles Barnes was the head of a family, radiating from Easthampton, including Shamgar Barnes and Benjamin Barnes... but not including William Barnes, whose widow was Elizabeth."

Wynkoop also states that he "could not have been the child of any of the other early Barnes within that region" which does not account for William Barnes, son of William Barnes and Thomasine Shepherd, who married Sarah Evans in England. William came to the colonies in the 1640s, living in Salem and eventually Long Island, but returned to England, where he died. Although Sarah Evans Barnes died in 1648, they did have a son together who is unnamed along with 2 daughters after her death."

William Barnes and Sarah Evans could be, but who knows? The mystery continues!

D. E. Larocque

Robert Rouse

Jan 8, 2023, 9:31:59 AM1/8/23
> [...]
>
> The plaintiff above is Isolde "daughter of Roger le Rus" who can only be Isolde, widow of Sir Walter de Balun, who then held the manor of Eastington, Gloucestershire in her own right. The defendant was Sir Walter de Balun's nephew and heir, Reynold de Balun. Isolde was presumably seeking a release from her late husband's nephew to any claim he might have to the manor of Eastington, Gloucestershire. A similar lawsuit was lodged against Reginald de Balun regarding Isolde's dower rights in Much Marcle, Herefordshire. See Year Books of Edward I: Years XX & XXI 1 (Rolls Ser. 31a) (1866): 128–129, 142-146, which may be viewed at the following weblink:

Robert Rouse

Jan 8, 2023, 9:39:00 AM1/8/23
Hello, My name Robert James Rouse b 1947 in Chiswick London UK.
Email :robert...@gmail.com
Ref: Isolde Le Rouse
Roger Sheriff of Gloucestershire Le Rouse ❤️
1237–1294
Birth 1237 • Harescombe, Gloucestershire, England
Death 31/8/1294
Marries:
Alianore DeAvenbury
1241–1313
Birth 1241 • Avenbury, Herefordshire, England
Death 1313 • Harescombe, Gloucestershire, England
Their daughter:

Isolde Le Rouse
1270–1338
Birth 1270 • Herefordshire, England
Death 1338 • Stratton Audley, Oxfordshire, England
Nb, she is buried at : St Bartholomew's Churchyard Much Marcle, Herefordshire Unitary Authority, Herefordshire, England

She marries: First Husband.

Walter de Balun Sir
1225–1287
Birth 1225 • Much Marcle, Ledbury, Hereford, England
Death 1287 • Eastington, Wheatenhurst, Gloucestershire, England, United Kingdom
Second Husband:

Hugh de Audley 1st Baron Audley of Stratton Audley
1276–1325
Birth 1276
Death 1325 • Wallingford, castle, Oxfordshire, England.
As things go my line dates back to :
FitzMayn Main ❤️
1090–1120
Birth 1090 • Harescombe, Gloucestershire, England
Death 1120: I can not find if he is Norman or Saxon?
My complete line can be found on Ancestry, the heart emoji denotes male line. Rouse168200 family tree. I hope this helps. Yours Bob